spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WhyADuck
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05

WhyADuck

Premium Member

What is cheapest way to make calls to Hong Kong using Asterisk?

I had someone ask me today if it was possible to make calls to Hong Kong. On our small Asterisk system we've never allowed calls outside of the USA or Canada so this was kind of a curve ball. I know Google Voice will let you do it for 2 cents per minute but since Google still might cut off XMPP access at any time, I'd rather not give them any money. I'm also aware of Localphone which charges 1.5 cents per minute. But is there anything less expensive and/or easier to use with an Asterisk/FreePBX system?

Basically I'm looking for a service that either lets you make free calls to Hong Kong, like Google Voice does in the US (I know it's a long shot but thought I'd ask), OR a service you can get that for a flat monthly or annual rate provides "unlimited" outgoing calls in Hong Kong (an incoming HK number would be nice, but probably not absolutely necessary) and that can interface with Asterisk. In other words, something similar to the ~$60/year services that popped up when people thought Google Voice was going away, except for Hong Kong. Does anything like that exist?

Or if neither of those exist, is there a service that lets you put money in an account and make calls until you use it up? It should NOT either charge a monthly rate (this person would probably not make enough calls to justify that), or cut off your account (or deduct from your balance) if you don't make any calls in a certain amount of time. Basically I would just like to know if there's a service that will take your money, charge a specific per-minute rate until you've used it up, and not play any games with your balance.

Any suggestions?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

My understanding of Callcentric's Free DID/IP Freedom Service is that two of them can communicate with each other for free. It wouldn't matter where the calls originate from or terminate to.

WhyADuck
Premium Member

WhyADuck

Premium Member

said by graysonf:

My understanding of Callcentric's Free DID/IP Freedom Service is that two of them can communicate with each other for free. It wouldn't matter where the calls originate from or terminate to.

Thanks but my understanding is that this user wants to be able to make calls to landlines in HK. If it were only for VoIP to VoIP our small server could handle that.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Landlines weren't mentioned, just being able to make calls.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to WhyADuck

to WhyADuck
If you're not going to have much usage, the rate should not be a critical issue; just use your Localphone account, assuming that you find quality/reliability acceptable.

For lower rates, consider Voxbeam ($0.0103 and up), AnveoDirect($0.00957 and up), CircleNet($0.01181), CallWithUs($0.01363), CheapVoipInc($0.0141 and up). All except CWU provide a small credit at startup, so you can test without making a payment, and have a 6- or 1-second billing increment. Some say credit expires after one year, though AFAIK they have yet to enforce that provision.

Various providers offer "unlimited" service that includes HK, but at prices you'll likely find unattractive.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to WhyADuck

Premium Member

to WhyADuck
said by WhyADuck:

Or if neither of those exist, is there a service that lets you put money in an account and make calls until you use it up? It should NOT either charge a monthly rate (this person would probably not make enough calls to justify that), or cut off your account (or deduct from your balance) if you don't make any calls in a certain amount of time. Basically I would just like to know if there's a service that will take your money, charge a specific per-minute rate until you've used it up, and not play any games with your balance.

CWU (Call With Us) fits that.

I do think that you have to make one outbound call every 90 days (something like that) or they make your account inactive (but you don't lose your money). And the call could be a 1-minute call to Cleveland.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

From the CWU site: "Dormant accounts with no outgoing PSTN activity will be deactivated after 3 months."

I don't see anything in that statement saying the call must be charged for, so calls to toll free numbers, which are not charged for, should keep the account active.

WhyADuck
Premium Member

WhyADuck

Premium Member

Thanks, guys. I just found out that we are talking very low usage here so a flat rate would not be appropriate, and one of the above-mentioned services should be more than adequate. I appreciate the suggestions.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

1 edit

twinclouds

I know some people don't like Betamax. However, I have had very good experience by using it to call China for quite a few years. The call quality is excellent and the connection is very reliable. I used it to call Hong Kong also although not as often. Right now my favorite is CheapVoip. For calling China, it is only 0.2 cent of USD per minute. I just checked the rate of calling HK, it is 0.4 and 0.7 cents per minute for landline and mobile, respectively. It doesn't have connection fee to call China landline. Not sure about China Mobile and Hong Kong. If it does, it is only about 3 cents anyway. I can recommend it with no hesitation, at least for calls to China.

Disclaimer: I am not in any forms related with Betamax or any of its sub-brands.
verix
join:2004-12-30
Oakland, CA

verix to Stewart

to Stewart
said by Stewart:

All except CWU provide a small credit at startup, so you can test without making a payment, and have a 6- or 1-second billing increment.

It appears CallWithUs also bills at 1-minute increments.