share rss forum feed

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

[Landscaping] OPE 2-Cycle Oil Mix Ratios

I'm curious to know if anyone has used Amsoil's Saber Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil (»www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m···ATPPK-EA) at 80:1 or 100:1 ratios?

I just finished a 50:1 mix of G-OIL 2-cycle Bio-Synthetic oil (»getg.com/G-OIL/2_cycle_bio-synthetic.php) and made an 80:1 mix of the Saber Professional to be used in all my 2-cycle OPE. I've read in many forums of commercial crews using it at 80:1 in all their OPE with no problems. I just ran it in an old string trimmer and handheld air blower with no problems. I'm curious if anyone here has any first hand experience with it. If not, what brand/ratio(s) do you run for your OPE. Thanks.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

I don't know why manufacturers don't get on the same page. Back when I had 2-stroke tools, I think I had three items and three different mixes (Lawn-Boy, Craftsman, Weed Eater, and Poulan). Of course I wasn't going to mix a bunch of different cans of gas. I went with the lowest ration and used it in everything. No issues whatsoever. Not even smoke or ash.
Now I just have the chainsaw. It's hard to get one of those that are cordless (and works).
--
...or the sheriff will grab ya and the boys will bring you down. The next thing you know, boy - oh you're prison bound...

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

I agree that for the consumer, they should end the madness and get a standard mix ratio. I'm hoping my Amsoil experiment works out and becomes my one mix for everything (my main goal for this experiment). Otherwise, I would need 32:1, 40:1, and 50:1 to cover everything.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

Different engines, different specs. It's not unlike automobiles models and the different viscosities they recommend between them. It's funny looking back in the days before modern synthetics when some manufacturers recommended 30:1. 40:1 was the most common when I was young. I think my old Osceola Power Equipment ice auger has 35:1 listed on top of the gas cap. With modern synthetics 80:1 and 100:1 is common. Yet my new Stihl recommends 50:1, even with their supposedly revolutionary new Stihl HP Ultra synthetic oil.

My 75hp Mercury OptiMax outboard has a computer controlled oil injection system that can go from 25:1 to well past 100:1 depending on the situation. The mechanics manual stats as far at 400:1.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to SwedishRider

I just use Opti-2 in all my 2 cycle stuff. One mix covers all of it.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to SwedishRider

I have been using nothing but this oil (AmsOil Saber Pro) for over twenty five years, in applications ranging from racing dirt bikes, leaf blowers, string trimmers, chain saws, etc. All run on the same 50:1 mix. I won't use anything else.
I could probably go leaner but why bother taking a chance.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

Thanks jack b, that's the info what I'm looking for. I'm brave enough to go 80:1, but it's reassuring to hear from someone who has used it at a lower ratio with success over time.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to UHF

said by UHF:

I just use Opti-2 in all my 2 cycle stuff. One mix covers all of it.

At what ratio?

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

I don't know why manufacturers don't get on the same page. Back when I had 2-stroke tools, I think I had three items and three different mixes (Lawn-Boy, Craftsman, Weed Eater, and Poulan).

My Lawnboy mixes the oil for you. It has a tank for gas and a tank for the oil. It works all the magic on its own.

UHF
Premium,MVM
reply to SwedishRider

It comes in a 1.8oz packet for 1 gallon of gas. I guess thats 70:1.

UHF
Premium,MVM
reply to SwedishRider

The 2.5 gallon pouch works out to 100:1.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to UHF

1 gal=128oz

128oz gasoline / 1.8oz oil = 71:1 ratio

Close enough.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SwedishRider

I don't know how you guys do it with 100:1 ratio and so on.

I barely go through a cup of mixed fuel for my trimmer every season. That's 2.5ML of oil mixed with 250ML of fuel.

I think I would need an eye dropper to get that measurement.

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24

i do 50:1 in every single thing i use with tec-3 oil from wally world. i have saws over 15 years old still working flawless

i do add a couple drops to my leaf blower since it uses 40:1

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to alkizmo

Just add it to a gallon of gas as usual. That which you do not use can be put into your car's fuel tank. After mixing with the fuel already in the tank the ratio becomes hundreds to one, and the engine will burn it just fine.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to SwedishRider

I ran my 80:1 mix in my old 40:1 string trimmer (that's on its way out anyway) and in a 50:1 blower, and had no problems in either unit. The trimmer ran a little better actually. I noticed no real difference with the blower. I've got a lot of the 50:1 premix for my new trimmer before I'm close to using this Amsoil mix in it... but so far, this "Saber Ratio" seems to be doing the trick.

InigoMontoya

join:2014-04-28
reply to SwedishRider

I use Royal Purple mixed at 50:1 in my machines. I also add some Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil.