roadkill401

join:2011-08-12
Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Jonathan

Re: [TekTalk] what a group of idiots

said by TSI Jonathan:

I do see from the notes on your account that you did speak to a supervisor and that an ATA replacement was approved and will be sent to you. As Andre mentioned, anything else we can help you with, please feel free to post in the direct forum.

So I am paying for a service that I am not getting, for hardware that you own Level 2 techs admit get sent out misconfigered, and won't work as they should without customer intervention to fix.

You charge an "activation fee" that includes sending a person around to make sure it is plugged in correctly, but not to make sure it actually does work.

I am not trying to get help from you. I am sitting on my hands now waiting for the new ATA to get shipped to me so I can try that one out and see if it will solve my problems.

No, I am posting here to let every other potential customer who is thinking about buying into TekSavvy as a solution, to know that it is not all smiles and works all the time. It is not something that a 65 year old parent could take on alone without some outside help.

I am just documenting what I find the service you are giving is like for me.

Viral

join:2011-09-10
Windsor, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
We respect your right to an opinion, though the approach left much to be desired. Especially when you start off with a post with the very blatent judgement.

Now as for your phone situation, I've only seen you post about how the internet works, but the phone intermittently cuts out, then we bounce around the subject.

Nowadays it's expected that everything is plug and play, but were you able to check to see if your router was blocking any communication, keep in mind that you haven't referenced to any prior knowledge or technical skills so I'm basing my post on what has been presented.

Let TekSavvy try to fix the issue with you or give us something to work with.

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to roadkill401
said by roadkill401:

said by TSI Jonathan:

I do see from the notes on your account that you did speak to a supervisor and that an ATA replacement was approved and will be sent to you. As Andre mentioned, anything else we can help you with, please feel free to post in the direct forum.

So I am paying for a service that I am not getting, for hardware that you own Level 2 techs admit get sent out misconfigered, and won't work as they should without customer intervention to fix.

You charge an "activation fee" that includes sending a person around to make sure it is plugged in correctly, but not to make sure it actually does work.

I am not trying to get help from you. I am sitting on my hands now waiting for the new ATA to get shipped to me so I can try that one out and see if it will solve my problems.

No, I am posting here to let every other potential customer who is thinking about buying into TekSavvy as a solution, to know that it is not all smiles and works all the time. It is not something that a 65 year old parent could take on alone without some outside help.

I am just documenting what I find the service you are giving is like for me.

If it's an ATA issue, can't they guide you through re-configuring the device?

It's VOIP so it shouldn't be TOO hard enter a new server IP, ports, userID and password.

There are even "picture" guides online on where to put the information tailored to the most common models. I'm not going to mention anything else here (out of respect for TSI) but it's a fairly common technology out there....

»help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/artic ··· guration

roadkill401

Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Viral
said by Viral:

Now as for your phone situation, I've only seen you post about how the internet works, but the phone intermittently cuts out, then we bounce around the subject.

The only comments made about internet were that if the internet says up then one would expect the phone to as well. As TekTalk is a voip service, then it is dependant on the internet to work. But the other direction is not true.

I am clearly to gather that you have no experience or understanding on how the TekTalk system works. To break it down into a simple form for you to understand. You have an ATA device that connects to a server at TekSavvy that routes all the calls. This ATA device converts a telephone connection into IP packets that are then delivered through my internet connection to TekSavvy, so in my case there is 2 telephone connectors as this device can support 2 different telephone connections, a WAN port that connects to the internet, and a LAN port that you can connect to via a TCP/IP connection such as through a web browser or telnet session.
This ATA can be configured many different ways. By default it is shipped out to accept DHCP on the WAN side to get it's IP address and DNS settings assigned to it. It will then try and connect through the connected network back to TekSavvy (although the settings and protocols used are a mystery as TekSavvy password protect the device even tough you outright buy it so you cannot see nor change the settings. So we are left to assume that TekSavvy set all these correctly before shipping the device out as the end user cannot reset anything)

This setting poses a bit of a conundrum as you don't set the ip address, it is set to whatever the DHCP is set to, you cannot really know what IP address it will take. According to my many talks with TekSavvy, I was told that TekSavvy recommends that you have your ATA sitting inside a DMZ, so the router would not apply any filtering or firewall to it. But how do you expect to do this if the IP address is not fixed? And I shy of hopefully having a DHCP server that you can assign an ip address based on the devices MAC address, you are stort of stuck. This fact was lost on the Level 1 tech that I talked to, and eventually I managed to get to Luis who did actually help out. But anyways, now as I have said this is a VDSL and TekSavvy send me the Sagemcom (that did not work) and subsequently replaced it with a SmartRG, it is funny that nether of these devices allows in their DHCP to assign a fixed ip to a mac address. Also, with the unit running this way, the only method to even log into this ATA is to plug in a computer directly into the LAN port as that must be in a different IP subnet from the WAN side. So any diagnosis tends to be a total pain as you are stuck ipconfig /release and /renew to change between the ip address set for the internet and being able to log into the ATA.

So you are not left with the task of changing this device to a different configuration. Sadly, as you bought this device from TekSavvy and they do not supply and form of manual for it, you are left to search on the internet for the manual. Yes its a common piece of hardware and it's out there.

So you log in and enter the very unsecure basic login password "123".

Now you can change the default from DHCP to either PPPoe, and let the unit get its own IP address by logging in it's own tunnel to TekSavvy's server, or assigning it a static IP address.

If you choose to go with the first option, you need to contact TekSavvy for them to assign you a second PPPoe login account so your ATA can connect to them. It seems their system won't let you use the same login twice. I did get a nice tech to set me that up, and it worked for a bit. But then it stopped as someone at TekSavvy didn't read the notes on my account and deleted this login. So my phone went dead. No sweat, get them to reset it back up.
Again, stated working for a bit, but then back to the error message "Device not registered". As it seems my Sagemcom keeps on dropping the internet connection and killing my TekTalk when it comes back up. Several times a week is just too often for me. So call back to TekSavvy and get the Sagemcom replaced for the newer SmartRG.

So new modem arrives but hooked up the internet is fine but the ATA doesn't work. Turns out that TekSavvy ships the new modem with the wrong configuration in it so PPPoe pass through does not work. OOPS!

Get that reconfigured and it starts to work for about 3 days, then boom. back to the "device not registered". This is what you get when the ATA cannot connect to the servers at TekSavvy for the VOIP to work. HUMM! The internet is working and the VDSL is fine. What is wrong.

So configure for the 3rd option. Assign a static IP address so you can then put the ATA inside a DMZ. But configured this way, the ATA seems to want to reboot itself every 4-6 minutes so you get nice short phone calls before you are cut off, and then have to wait another 15-20 minutes for the unit to reboot to use the phone again. Plus you get to have very bad static on the line. Not really a good option if you ask me.

So I bought a solution from TekSavvy. I can assume that they are many customers out there that it is working fine for. But for my install is didn't go quite a smoothly as one would hope, and still is not really working.

Installed in November of 2013, we are now in July and still don't quite have the bugs worked out. I guess I must be a very unlucky person as its just me who is having these problems.

said by Viral:

keep in mind that you haven't referenced to any prior knowledge or technical skills

I've worked in the networking industry since 1989. Have worked with the internet from the time ARPAnet was turned off and was converted into the internet as we know it today. I remember when it IEEE released the spec for 10baseT and was working for LANstart designing and implementing networks. I think I know quite a bit about what I am talking about. I am not saying I know everything, that would be arrogant.. But I'd hazard to guess I know more than most the tech's I have dealt with at TekSavvy.

roadkill401

Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to xdrag
said by xdrag:

If it's an ATA issue, can't they guide you through re-configuring the device?

It's VOIP so it shouldn't be TOO hard enter a new server IP, ports, userID and password.

If the hardware worked, then yes it would be very simple to setup. If the hardware worked. But it does not, and the side you have to deal with is why is it not working. If the internet is there, and the ports are all open for it, why does it not want to connect to their server and register the device.

Not anything that I have any control over at all.

But they password lock out any access to the configuration of the ATA so you can't re-assign a new server. It is all done by their own automatic provisioning system.

And the last diagnosis I got after finally getting through to a level 2 tech was that my device was making a PPPoe connection but then not finalizing the connection and simply hanging there.

So I wait for new hardware to show up to try and get this to work.

Viral

join:2011-09-10
Windsor, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to roadkill401
Wow, such an expected response from a simple comment made to assist you.

Perhaps this video may provide further assistance since you are very keen to judge quickly:

»youtu.be/nNkk_MMda-M
Expand your moderator at work

TSI Duty Mgr
Premium
join:2012-10-23
Chatham, ON
reply to roadkill401

Re: [TekTalk] what a group of idiots

said by roadkill401:

So you are not left with the task of changing this device to a different configuration. Sadly, as you bought this device from TekSavvy and they do not supply and form of manual for it, you are left to search on the internet for the manual. Yes its a common piece of hardware and it's out there.

Hello Roadkill401,

I apologize for the issues you've had with the service up to this point, and hope that we're able to turn this around for you. As you're already being assisted with it, I won't try to be one more hand in the cookie jar, but I did wish to point out for yourself, and any future customers who may see this thread, that we do in fact provide this documentation:

»help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/artic ··· am-HT502

In fact, you'll also find many useful troubleshooting documents and TekTalk information on our help site should you wish to try dealing with the issue yourself before contacting us for support.

Have a good evening.
--
TSI Duty Mgr
Operations Manager on Duty

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to roadkill401
Interesting, I use VOIP and I use DHCP.

I use cable so I don't have to deal with the PPPoE registration.

That being said, I've had no issues with VOIP behind my router.

Does your network not run on router? why not let the PPPoE pass to the router and the ATA in DHCP.

Assign a static IP using the router. Open the ports.

LINE -> DSL modem -> Router -> ATA

You would need to configure some QoS obviously.

I believe you're trying to do this:

LINE - DSL Modem -> ATA -> (computer/router?)

Anyhow, I advise against "built-in" routers/AP. they're usually a disaster. Run a Open firmware router or build a pfsense

roadkill401

Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to Viral
From the video given, it is supposed to be plug in and it just simply works with ZERO configuration required. I guess that is the standard that I should expect to get from my device. So if TekSavvy then asks me to log into any of the devices, that I should point them to this video as no other steps are required. Not setting up DMZ, or entering PPPoe logins. it should simply work. Not keep hanging up every 4-5 minutes and resetting itself. Thankyou for setting the standard for me.

roadkill401

Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to xdrag
said by xdrag:

I believe you're trying to do this:

LINE - DSL Modem -> ATA -> (computer/router?)

Anyhow, I advise against "built-in" routers/AP. they're usually a disaster. Run a Open firmware router or build a pfsense

Now lets hope that the OFFICIAL TekSavvy people chime in on this one.

I have been told under numerous occasions that They do not support converting the router modem to bridge mode so an external router that you provide can be used

So you are left if you want to get any form of support from TekSavvy to leave the modem/router for VDSL setup in the configuration that it is shipped to you.

They have even gotten into a huff with me for changing the IP address of the router.. and the level 1 support said he could not support me. Humm, seems a pattern here. To get any form of support you need to demand to speak with a supervisor for level 2 support.

Dial_a_Tech

join:2013-01-22
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to roadkill401
said by roadkill401:

From the video given, it is supposed to be plug in and it just simply works with ZERO configuration required. I guess that is the standard that I should expect to get from my device. So if TekSavvy then asks me to log into any of the devices, that I should point them to this video as no other steps are required. Not setting up DMZ, or entering PPPoe logins. it should simply work. Not keep resetting every 4-5 minutes and resetting itself. Thankyou for setting the standard for me.

Woah, give your head a shake, man. Yes the video posted shows the preferred working configuration for their service, and in a majority of cases, I'd say it works (did for me, day one). Unfortunately, sometimes something goes wrong, and you can either troubleshoot the issue, or you can log into a forum and starting tossing insults and generally making yourself look like a complete jack-ss.

For someone so well versed in the technical realm, the concept of troubleshooting seems utterly foreign to you.

@mods: sorry if you feel my post is a personal attack and you need to delete it. Honestly, anyone starting a topic calling other people "idiots" shouldn't have reached the number of posts it already has.

roadkill401

Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Duty Mgr
said by TSI Duty Mgr:

I apologize for the issues you've had with the service up to this point, and hope that we're able to turn this around for you. As you're already being assisted with it, I won't try to be one more hand in the cookie jar, but I did wish to point out for yourself, and any future customers who may see this thread, that we do in fact provide this documentation:

»help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/artic ··· am-HT502

If you actually read what I said in my post. "TekSavvy does not provide any manual with the unit. You simply provide a brown box with the unit sitting inside. You have to go searching on the internet to find the manual.

I don't know if you have ever gone looking for your documentation as a normal customer would? I will gladly paste screen shots into the forum to show how its not as obvious as you think.

Your home screen does not contain them. But it has a click for support. That takes you to another screen that now gives options for Teksavvy support, webmail, and forum. So click on support. Still not there... You now get to choose between Network Status, Accounting, Sales and Support. YES I want Support! Ah, there you go. So look under TekTalk, so what is the first item, HT502 Line 1 configuration. That by the way you cannot enter as you the hardware that is MANDITORY to buy from TekSavvy has a password on it that you WILL NOT GIVE to the customer.

You have the nerve to post on here then please answer the following questions:

1. Are you required to purchase the HT502 from TekSavvy to order the TekTalk service here in Ontario when you phone your sales department?

2. Does TekSavvy directly support configurations where either the Sagemcom or SmartRG vdsl modem/router have been configured into bridge mode so that the customer can use their own router to connect via PPPoe?

3. Does TekSavvy allow you to use your own VDSL modem to get the High Speed DSL 15/10, 25/10 or 50/10 without needing to purchase one from TekSavvy sales when placing an order for that service to be installed?

I very much would like to compare the answers that you give with the REALITY you get when trying to do any of the three questions given. It is all fine and sweet to say you don't need to buy the HT502 ATA and you can use your own. but it the sales rep when ordering will not allow you to even place the order without selling you a new one first then one party clearly does not know, or understand the company policy because both sides cannot be right.

roadkill401

Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Dial_a_Tech
said by Dial_a_Tech:

Woah, give your head a shake, man. Yes the video posted shows the preferred working configuration for their service, and in a majority of cases, I'd say it works (did for me, day one). Unfortunately, sometimes something goes wrong, and you can either troubleshoot the issue, or you can log into a forum and starting tossing insults and generally making yourself look like a complete jack-ss.

To put this into a perspective for you.

If you went out and purchased a desktop computer from Dell. You pull it out of the box and follow the video that shows you simply plug the cables into the correct plugs and turn it on.

so you do it but your machine does not turn on. You phone up Dell to ask what the heck. They take you through simple level 1 stuff to make sure that you plugged it all in the right way. Still does not work.

Would you at that point send it back because it is broken? Or would you spend 3 weeks on the phone with Dell re-installing drivers, updating flash bios, reformat the hard drive 3-4 times, download new drivers for all the internal cards, try moving the computer around the house to make sure the power outlet you used is not defective.

They are both Computer Hardware devices, and by your comment should have some level of trouble shooting if they are not running in the optimum mode. But at what level would you get testy about how it is being handled and say enough is enough?

At what point would you dred that level 1 support person who didn't bother to read the notes on your file and wanted you to check all the cables again for the n'th-teen time and refuses to give you over to a higher level tech who is not reading steps off a checklist?

Would you have a different perspective if it was actually happening to you?

TSI Duty Mgr
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to roadkill401
said by roadkill401:

If you actually read what I said in my post. "TekSavvy does not provide any manual with the unit. You simply provide a brown box with the unit sitting inside. You have to go searching on the internet to find the manual.

From your original post, you indicated that we didn't provide it, and I was merely showing you, and future customers, were we do provide it. You are correct in your statement that we do not provide it with the unit, but that was not indicated in your original post. I apologize for misunderstanding your original intention.

I would be happy to help clarify the questions you have:

said by roadkill401:

1. Are you required to purchase the HT502 from TekSavvy to order the TekTalk service here in Ontario when you phone your sales department?

No, you can use your own hardware, however we do not provide support for 3rd party provided equipment. As per our order page when you get the service:

said by roadkill401:

2. Does TekSavvy directly support configurations where either the Sagemcom or SmartRG vdsl modem/router have been configured into bridge mode so that the customer can use their own router to connect via PPPoe?

Our agents are trained to help simplify customer networks in order to help isolate an issue. In this instance, we do place modem/router equipment into bridge mode to ensure the router is not interfering with the connection. If you have been told otherwise by an agent, I do apologize for that, and if you have call instances, I would be happy to look into them and provide coaching where necessary.

said by roadkill401:

3. Does TekSavvy allow you to use your own VDSL modem to get the High Speed DSL 15/10, 25/10 or 50/10 without needing to purchase one from TekSavvy sales when placing an order for that service to be installed?

Absolutely. As you can see in this thread: »[DSL] VDSL service - BYOM an option?

said by roadkill401:

I very much would like to compare the answers that you give with the REALITY you get when trying to do any of the three questions given. It is all fine and sweet to say you don't need to buy the HT502 ATA and you can use your own. but it the sales rep when ordering will not allow you to even place the order without selling you a new one first then one party clearly does not know, or understand the company policy because both sides cannot be right.

I apologize if this is the experience you had when placing your order. If you haven't already opened a direct thread, please do so and I will ensure we look into this to provide coaching if needed. I do appreciate your feedback, as we always look for opportunities to improve the service we provide to you.

Have a good day!
--
TSI Duty Mgr

roadkill401

Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by TSI Duty Mgr:

said by roadkill401:

Absolutely. As you can see in this thread: »[DSL] VDSL service - BYOM an option?

I apologize if this is the experience you had when placing your order. If you haven't already opened a direct thread, please do so and I will ensure we look into this to provide coaching if needed. I do appreciate your feedback, as we always look for opportunities to improve the service we provide to you.

OK. Please PM me with your contact information so that I can call you directly to arrange to get the $130 + 10 shipping + tax refund for the modem that I was forced by your sales department to purchase when I phoned them to order the service I have.

Funny thing was when i called the sales department at your Chatham, Ontario office, they refuted what was posted on the DSLreports thread you linked to and told me point blank that you CANNOT ORDER THE SERIVCE WITHOUT BUYING THE MODEM FROM US.

It is great to say here it is fine, but unless the people at the sales office let you, it is rather a moot point saying otherwise.

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to roadkill401
said by roadkill401:

But anyways, now as I have said this is a VDSL and TekSavvy send me the Sagemcom (that did not work) and subsequently replaced it with a SmartRG, it is funny that nether of these devices allows in their DHCP to assign a fixed ip to a mac address.

Sounds like you're having a rough go of it. In case it helps, both devices can easily set up dhcp reservations.

Sagemcom:
2 clicks. Click network, create a dhcp reservation based on mac address.

SmartRG:
3 clicks. Advanced setup, LAN, add dhcp reservation based on mac address.

TSI Duty Mgr
Premium
Chatham, ON

1 edit
reply to roadkill401
said by roadkill401:

said by TSI Duty Mgr:

said by roadkill401:

OK. Please PM me with your contact information so that I can call you directly to arrange to get the $130 + 10 shipping + tax refund for the modem that I was forced by your sales department to purchase when I phoned them to order the service I have.

Funny thing was when i called the sales department at your Chatham, Ontario office, they refuted what was posted on the DSLreports thread you linked to and told me point blank that you CANNOT ORDER THE SERIVCE WITHOUT BUYING THE MODEM FROM US.

It is great to say here it is fine, but unless the people at the sales office let you, it is rather a moot point saying otherwise.

Hello Roadkill401,

Unfortunately in this instance you would not be able to get a refund on this modem, as it was purchased in September 2013. The Bring-Your-Own-Modem change to the service happened in November 2013. So at the time you ordered your services, you were indeed required to purchase the Sagemcom modem as per our vendor. I apologize for the confusion and hope this clarifies the issue.

-edit-

Also, the SmartRG modem that purchased should also have come with a return label for the Sagemcom. Once you return that modem you will receive a refund for the Sagemcom, so that you aren't being charged for two modems. If you would still wish to use your own modem at this point, you can return both modems and we can refund them both for you.

Regards,
--
TSI Duty Mgr