Search similar:

uniqs
sgrieve
join:2014-07-13
USA

sgrieve

Speed I'm confused

Hi,
I was originally installed with 12mpbs service with 5 static ip's business package and the pace 5031NV modem. I noticed all my the houses around me qualified for 18mbps. I call sales and they said it was not available at my address I escalated it and second level said that my line would support it. Back to sales who said they need to cancel my services and reinstall and give me new ip's 2-3 days down time to which I said no way just change the profile. Back to second level that did something, then back to sales that said they need to send a tech out to replace the modem. In the meantime after the second trip to second level my pace is reporting

DSL Line Line 1 (inner pair)
Down Up
User Rate 25312 kbs 2036 kbs
Max User Rate 29800 kbs 2036 kbs
Noise Margin 9.6 dB 0.0 dB
Attenuation 24.1 dB 0.0 dB
Output Power 12.0 dBm 8.2 dBm

Protocol G.993.2_8d
Channel Interleaved
DSLAM Vendor Information Country {65461} Vendor {CXSY} Specific {852 }
Rate Cap 29333 kbs
Attenuation @ 300kHz 15.1 dB
VCXO Frequency Offset -19.2 ppm Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise 0 Ok

But I don't see a noticeable speed increase am I working at the new speeds or should I have them come out and switch the modem I'm confused. The pace is pretty crappy but working well with my Cisco 1841 I don't want to have to go though a mess again with a new modem.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

My profile is 55/6, and I'm subscribed to the 18M internet tier. Right now my daughter is watching TV, something is recording, and I have several things doing minor updates on my computer. When I run a speedtest I get 23.06Mb / 1.98Mb.

Since you're on the 25/2 profile the actual speed of this tier would use 100% of your upload. I'd imagine you'd need to be moved to the 32/5 tier... if your line can support it. Keep in mind what profile you're on does not indicate what internet speed you're subscribed to. However, the profile does limit what speed you qualify for.

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts to sgrieve

Anon

to sgrieve
Suspect you were a CSI, customer self install, which is set at 13M profile with a max internet speed of 12M.

Tier 2 support changed your profile from 13 to 25M which your RG is now reporting but the internet package subscribed to has not changed to Max Plus 18M.

This is where the tech visit occurs, billable $99 upgrade... your 5031 does not need replacing as the replacement with IPTV services is the 5031.

However your line is NOT fine max sync of 28 on a 25 profile is not good. If this was a CSI... using existing phone cable plugged into a standard jack you have a tap (multiple jacks from Nid). For Max Plus and higher internet speeds requires a direct cat5 from NID to RG bypassing house wiring... thus is what the $99 pays for... a service call to correct wiring.

Recent had a 3600 (older form of 5031)
my thoughts

my thoughts

Anon

Part deux...

Recent had a 3600...
Stats loop length 2250
13M profile with max sync rate 27252
Sn 19.5 attenuation 19.7 AM interfernce
AND a tap 36 feet inside 5 phine jacks

Service upgraded NID and install new cat5 homerun to RG removing the tap.
new stats with same 3600 RG.
Loop length 1775 feet
13M profile with max sync 53997
SN 29.0 attentuation 18.2..NO interference.

I was there because customer was moving from POTS to VOIP and needed backfeed from RG to phone jacks in house. Install new cat5 feed for RG... plug voip into existing phone jack.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel

Premium Member

They don't required you to do the backfeed back at the nid? Out we are required to do that in case the customer gets an alarm system later on.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by Mr Fel:

They don't required you to do the backfeed back at the nid? Out we are required to do that in case the customer gets an alarm system later on.

We aren't required to, but its typically done, simply due to ease if you are pulling a new Cat 5 anyway -- either done @ the NID or at the IW entry point in the basement/garage/MDU entry/kitchen jack

Of course, if there is an alarm, then yeah, gotta feed the alarm first, which is usually easiest at the NID (unless of course the alarm wasn't properly seizure wired in the first place -- run into that every now and then, and its seizure wired when I'm done, if possible!)

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts to Mr Fel

Anon

to Mr Fel
We are not to use same cat5 cable to feed RG as backfeed.
To do what you suggest would require running (2) cat5 home runs on every install and repair to keep signals separated.

Therefore run (1) homerun and voip feed is to nearest phone jack.
If can place RG near phone jack, just a 7 foot premade data cable between RG and jack... backfeed is done.

If customer has alarm need to run need feed to alarm.
Future alarm system requirements if needing a tech would be a billable service call.
Many customers with alarm systems in our area are wireless not hardwired... similar to AT&T Digital Life.
sgrieve
join:2014-07-13
USA

sgrieve

It should not be that complicated, I don't have phone or TV service just business class with a 5031NV. I also have a straight cat 5 run from the dmark to the modem.
Mcmurdy1980
join:2012-10-22
Newhall, CA

Mcmurdy1980 to sgrieve

to sgrieve
Your Noise margin ratio is too low. Your max rate is too low. I bet you you have bridge tap on the line or you are working off an unbalanced pair. I would further guess your house wire needs some love. I wouldn't charge you a trip charge fyi. Thats just something the T1/T2 people have to say.

Anonnn
@144.160.5.x

Anonnn to my thoughts

Anon

to my thoughts
said by my thoughts :

We are not to use same cat5 cable to feed RG as backfeed.
To do what you suggest would require running (2) cat5 home runs on every install and repair to keep signals separated.

Therefore run (1) homerun and voip feed is to nearest phone jack.
If can place RG near phone jack, just a 7 foot premade data cable between RG and jack... backfeed is done.

If customer has alarm need to run need feed to alarm.
Future alarm system requirements if needing a tech would be a billable service call.
Many customers with alarm systems in our area are wireless not hardwired... similar to AT&T Digital Life.

This is not true. The same cat5 can be used for the dsl signal and VoIP backfeed. Look at how to install an ABJack.

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

You are miss understanding my post...
I am not saying it cannot be done, I am saying we are instructed not to do it.
Depending on manager inspection, classified as a deviation from expected and can result in verbal warning or write up.

Required cat3 drop... no copper pair... no quad buried.

Required new NID on installs or repairs... Nid needs to say ATT not Ameritech or SBC.
Deviation installing a 3 line NID instead of 6 line.

Required cat5 feed on blue pair from NID to RG.
Deviations... using cat3... using cat5 green pair... no drip loop.

Required acceptable ground wire (generally just replace ground wire)
Ground tag, ban tag, BSEAL both NID and entry to residence with drip loop.

In summary, there are many ways things can be done and there is the expected way.
Normally do 70-80 jobs a month with about 10% inspected... by any Uverse manager.
Receive a copy of inspection and points subtracted... consist behavior in missing the mark can lead to a meeting with manager and union rep, best way to avoid such is to do the job the way instructed.
premtrekker
join:2014-06-23
canada

premtrekker

You could get disciplined for using the green pair instead of blue? Seriously? You got some strict managers.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to my thoughts

Premium Member

to my thoughts
Holy cow, I thought our standards are strict -- that is a bit above and beyond!

Must be a Wisconsin thing... or a Local Manager thing...

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to premtrekker

to premtrekker
Why have standards if you're not going to follow them?

Using the correct color ensures the next guy that comes along will know what is going on at the other end of the wire.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Don't get me wrong, we have standards in my area (Suburban Chicago), and they are enforced, but they are not nearly as stringent as what my thoughts describes up in Cheeseheadland/WI

For example, our "NID" guidline is basically a slotted NID that can accept the new module/protector, even if it still says Keptel/Ameritech/SBC on it. Basically the flip up and center channel NIDs are what aren't allowed locally here. And if a new NID needs placed, a 3 line, 6 line, or (the rarely used) 12 line are all acceptable

Its pretty easy to tell what pair is being used for the home run, from a quick look at what color pair is connected to the Line Module @ the NID
ILpt4U

ILpt4U

Premium Member

So my thoughts, I am curious: If you are on a BPON FTTP install or repair, and the existing ONT is the older model, branded SBC, does that require a NIBS Fiber tech helper, to get the ONT swapped to the newer model with AT&T branding?

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

1 recommendation

my thoughts

Anon

ILpt4U, am sure your aware of a little thing called quintile.
My understanding is our L2 is not in the top, in order to try to improve quality, limit the number of repeats, a very much by the book approach is being used.

At one time, every NID had to have a VDSL splitter even as a dry loop, and be grounded. When decided either a) another potential point of failure or b) too costly... now are only to install on shared lines.

During training in 2011 told to use green for RG, after diminish of inid and start of using the 589, now blue to blue, orange to orange. Pots/VoIP line cannot be same cat5 run as RG sync, etc.

Frequently dispatch calls at 12 months, I am late shifter (by choice) doing 75-80% repairs with about 2/3 being frequent. Take pictures before and after, if an account goes to 5 or 6 calls L1 and L2 involved... If for example home run still cat3... Every tech who dispatched on that account is talked to as why they did not replace, not just the last tech who had job.

My function... Treat every repair as a new install, do the best I can to ensure there will not be another ticket created. Does my efficiency take a beating, big time. Are you more likely to get a repeat on a repair than an install, yes. Do you have the support of your crew, not likely (your not a day walker)... the late techs support each other regardless of who they report to.

Personally, I like the challenge of trying to resolve puzzles, always successful, no. As another tech stated (who just made manager), he enjoyed going on jobs I had done... Detailed notes and resolved everything but the one thing that needed to be done. Do we not all wish for that, knowing that the last tech has everything up to code and not needing to spend 2 plus hours on a DVR swap to fix all the other shortcuts that were taken.

When I dispatch on a job that someone was just there in the past week, the often asked question is why didn't the last tech check this or do that. Why did they not explain the suspected problem,, resolution, leave their contact information? What can you say... We all go through the same training, we do bring different background experiences but to the customer the perception should be the same, he did his best, just my thoughts.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel

Premium Member

I'm staying out of this part of the discussion, but you still didn't answer ILpt4U See Profile's question with the SBC branded ONT's.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by Mr Fel:

I'm staying out of this part of the discussion, but you still didn't answer ILpt4U See Profile's question with the SBC branded ONT's.

Yeah, I better not go any further, lest get myself in trouble.

This is not the place to debate company standards/varying policies and procedures

I'll simply say this: If those are local policies/procedures, then so be it

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts to Mr Fel

Anon

to Mr Fel
I am involved with very few FTTPs, those that have been are new greenfields, where sometimes waiting for local CSS aka CIM or NIBS to install ONT. As we have not been instructed to place a ticket yet, I would merely detail the ONT in my close narration.

If this was starting to sound like a disagreement I apologize, that was not the intent.
Our 10 gargage area is divided into three regions, meaning 3 possible differences in policy/procedures.
As often working to support other regions, I still have to perform based on our region instructions.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel

Premium Member

That make sense, so more than likely a nonexistent situation to begin with.

I understand that completely, Louisville is split into two regions, with two different policies in place, definitely not worth getting into here.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to my thoughts

Premium Member

to my thoughts
We have a few FTTP fiber hoods that pretty commonly have the First Generation BPON ONT, branded SBC, so hence the question -- probably put up in 05-07ish, somewhere around there, if I had to guess

The Chicago area has plenty of regional divisions -- multiple 2nd, 3rd levels covering the 'land... so things vary all the time.

It was simply a bit shocking, my thoughts, at how detail oriented that is, for things that are mostly non-service affecting (in my mind, anyway).

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel

Premium Member

said by ILpt4U:

We have a few FTTP fiber hoods that pretty commonly have the First Generation BPON ONT, branded SBC, so hence the question

I guess you're the most likely one who can actually find out the answer to that out of all of us.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Thats just it -- we have no local guideline against SBC or Ameritech branded NIDs/ONTs -- so its a non-issue in our area