spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MZ123
join:2014-07-21
US

MZ123

FIOS, spare router, followed FAQ, no joy

We just upgraded our FIOS router to the higher speed router so we have the old one as a spare.

We have an Actiontec ECB2500C adapter driving a TV in one room, connected using a coaxial splitter to feed both the cable box and the Actiontec then an Ethernet cable to the TV for smart functions. Since we now have the spare FIOS router (also Actiontec of course) we thought we'd do the same with our other smart TV rather than shelling out for another adapter.

I followed the instructions at the excellent FAQ (»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?) but it didn't give connectivity. All the correct lights appeared to be lit (including Coax LAN versus Coax WAN).

Then I tried altering the settings so that DHCP server's IP address was "relay" or some such (versus disabled; see step 2.4); I'm not connected to it at the moment so I don't recall what terminology it used, but in any event that didn't work either.

I'm planning on trying the Actiontec adapter in the other location just to make sure that works; any suggestions for other things to try with the actual spare router?
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

Can you elaborate a bit.
I know you say you followed the instructions but summarizing what you did can help.
What IP address did you assign to the spare router. When you have the spare router connected to COAX can you access that IP on your network and log into that router?

Also elaborate on "didn't give connectivity" please
MZ123
join:2014-07-21
US

MZ123

Good points. I went through it again just now to capture all I did and the steps are listed below.

However - the thing I had NOT tried was to try to ping the box from the regular connection (i.e. by connecting through the main wireless and typing the 192.168.1.253 address).

When I did THAT, I got into the spare router (though with a warning that I needed to check my broadband). So I tried connecting the TV via ethernet - and succeeded.

So at this point I'm leaning toward thinking it's a firewall issue on the laptop, since the TV is clearly getting data.

But just for giggles, I connected the laptop back to the router (alongside the one that's leading to the TV).... and now it's working. I've explicitly got wireless turned off on the laptop so I know I'm not accidentally using the wifi router. Color me confused!!

Thanks for your help - I think this must be like when your car is acting up, you take it to the mechanic, and it refuses to misbehave.

------ steps I followed ------

Disabled wireless on laptop so I wouldn't inadvertently connect to main router.

Steps from FAQ:

1a) Hard reset.

1b) After reboot, went to 192.168.1.1 and had to enter a new password.

1c) Connected. Lights are
- Power
- LAN ethernet (flashing)
- Wireless

2a) Entered 192.168.1.253 for IP Address. Clicked Apply. Got "The Device's IP address should not be in the range of the IP pool".
2b) Changed End IP Address to 252. Got "No DNS Servers entered for this connection. This might cause name resolution problems." and "You will not be able to connect to Verizon in the next 30 seconds.". Clicked Apply.
2c) Got message saying I needed to close browser and reopen to access with new address and "Please ensure to adjust your PC or other network device(s), IP Address settings, to match the new LAN IP Address of the router."

3a) Disabled coax by doing My Network / Network Connections / Broadband Connection (coax) / Disable. Router rebooted.

Noted that same lights (power, flashing LAN ethernet, Wireless) still on.

4)Disabled DHCP server: Advanced / IP Address Distribution (which shows 252 as the top), Network Home / Office, Disabled. Note that this is the one where I later tried setting it to "DHCP Server Relay" to see if THAT worked. I had to click "apply" a couple of times.

Then I disabled wireless: Wireless Settings, Basic Security Settings, Wireless Off.

Wireless light on router is now off.

Connected coax to spare router: LAN Coax now lit. Internet light is not lit.

Tried pinging Google via cmd / ping and "could not find". Tried via browser, and "could not be displayed".