spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DaleQ
@66.193.32.x

DaleQ

Anon

My FCC feedback

Here is my feedback sent this morning to FCC...

Good morning,

I'm writing in opposition to proceeding number. 10-91
»apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/commen ··· 18012343

The only thing that keeps cable companies remotely honest in regards to set-top-box hardware is the threat of a competitive product. CableCard is a standard that somewhat ensures a level playing field for manufacturers to introduce their own products.

Therefore, it's ironic that Tivo wants to enter a special agreement with Comcast to side-step this industry standard for a privately licensed alternative. Tivo would have been forced out of business many years ago if it were not for CableCard. I assume that Tivo is doing this to gain an advantage over other competitors.

I use a SiliconDust HDHomeRun 'Prime' which uses a CableCard. I was forced to replace my perfectly working 'plain' HDHomeRun because the FCC lacked the mettle necessary to deny cable company's request to encrypt even local broadcast channels on 'limited basic' cable. If the FCC approves this application, I'll probably have to *hope* I'll have the opportunity to purchase yet another box to work with the new pseudo-standard. Of course, SiliconDust will have to kiss the ring on Comcast/Tivo's hand to be allowed to license the new pseudo-standard. Tivo will not likely agree (since direct competitor) and Comcast is probably disinclined to agree unless it's some sort of bone to throw to FTC as a TW merger 'concession'.

Again, please vote against 10-91.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks

The better question is- Who gives the FCC the right to decide on private contracts? There will be a day that the FCC is put into their place, and this could be it. Especially if Comcast/Tivo was to get other MSOs and the ILECs in on this. Their pockets are a bit deeper and are able to do a lot more than the FCC and their rules.