Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
kudos:1

[ALL] Business HSI/Phone + CATV?

Weird question. Where I work have Cox Business HSI/Phone (which is awesome). One thing we tried to do is put a splitter at the HSI modem and take it to a TV for basic cable for our clients whom are waiting.

One problem. When trying to put the coax to the TV, I got some voltage over the coax that arced to the TV, and popped the circuit breaker

I have never had this before. Any suggestions to why? And if this normal (I've only dealt with Cox Home wiring)? And if this is normal, is there something I can put between the splitter and the TV to condition the line?

I have verified that the coax used to the TV is good (checked the Ohms/continuity). Tried a couple of different splitters (all have come from Cox).

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
That is not normal. First thing to check is the ground point. The coax should be tied to the building ground where it enters the facility. The building ground and electrical ground should also be bonded together. Make sure there are no devices from previous installations along the run injecting power onto the coax. Get an outlet tester and check that they are all wired correctly.

It is also possible the defect is in the TV itself and the chassis is hot. Connecting the coax is giving it a ground path. Does the TV have a two or three wire electrical cord?

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
reply to Guzzler
This isn't exactly on topic to your main problem, but why are you trying to connect up cable if you don't pay Cox, or at least you didn't mention paying Cox for cable. Grounding issue aside, Im pretty sure they will have cable filtered out.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
I believe he is hoping to find the basic local channels on the cable line. Does Cox still provide any of those without a STB?

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
kudos:1
reply to Guzzler
Yes the TV is proper 3 prong plug. Otherwise I don't think the breaker that the TV was on would have popped

The coax comes from the pole, to the multi-line phone switch, then to the modem.

It maybe the TV that's not right (older Vizio HD), but I don't have an extra to bring in and test.

We pay for phone and internet. Just trying for basic cable TV, and it's not filtered so no need for a STB (checked around with other Businesses). When they did the install a year a so ago, I did ask if was OK, and I think the tech (non-Cox but subcontractor) said it shouldn't be an issue.

I think... it's been awhile. Which is why I'm asking here.

Anonguy

@68.106.20.x

1 recommendation

said by Guzzler:

Yes the TV is proper 3 prong plug. Otherwise I don't think the breaker that the TV was on would have popped

The coax comes from the pole, to the multi-line phone switch, then to the modem.

It maybe the TV that's not right (older Vizio HD), but I don't have an extra to bring in and test.

We pay for phone and internet. Just trying for basic cable TV, and it's not filtered so no need for a STB (checked around with other Businesses). When they did the install a year a so ago, I did ask if was OK, and I think the tech (non-Cox but subcontractor) said it shouldn't be an issue.

I think... it's been awhile. Which is why I'm asking here.

Sounds like you are on Cox's circuit switched phone system and you Dialtone is supplied by a NIU.

There is 90 volts on the drop from the plant to power the NIU.
So it is there by design.

Why try to steal TV?

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Guzzler
said by Guzzler:

We pay for phone and internet.

Then thats what you get. It may be others get more then what they pay for by accident, but not getting cable when you don't pay for it, no matter what the channels, is by design. They may not filtered on the lines pole to pole, but it should be filtered on your pole/tap. If you want basic then you need a antenna for Over The Air (OTA) and a TV that has a QAM tuner or a converter box.

Also if your clients are going to be watching the TV, then you really should get Cox Business Cable. However, that line is a little fuzzier.