spc
Search similar:

uniqs
js111410
join:2011-05-26
Shavertown, PA

js111410

Is frontier worth getting?

I had Frontier back around 2008 and they were OK at the time. I was getting 1.5/.5 with them. I upgraded to the Metrocast 15/1 plan.

I'm very happy with their services good support and very stable speeds. The speed test flat-lines at 17mbps and 1.5 upload, with 30-50 ping; never see the speeds fluctuate. My only problem is their prices, 51 dollars for 15/1. When I first started with them it was 40 something. The prices increase 5+% a year I tried negotiating a better price, but no luck.

I'm now considering switching to frontier. They send a flyer in the mail every so often. They also have a DSLAM less than 480 meters away from my house. I was told that I can get their highest tier, 24/2. What do you guys think about their services, reliability, and ping?
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

eehhhh.....
Their tech support sucks
Their customer support is so-so...
Their technicians are ok but if they can't fix the issue they will make up some silly excuse like the weather or seasonal temp to get out of having to really FIX THE ISSUE which would cost frontier money.

Frontier is saddled by debt making it difficult for them to operate.

If frontier was your only choice besides satellite, cellular, or dial-up then they are ok.
In your case stick with what you have.

As soon as I have the $$ to buy a 50ft+ tower I'm gonna switch to a WISP where I can get 5Mbps over the 1.7Mbps I have now through frontier.
js111410
Shavertown, PA

js111410

WOW 1.7, and it's 2014 :/

Hope they are giving you a good deal, at that speed. I tore out all the phone lines in my house and ran a 22 awg line from the pole directly to my rj14 wall socket. I did it myself because the last tech left bare wires outside the service box. I think he cut the lines too short. Plus my wire is high gauge compared to what they use now. I always had problems with technicians, better to do it yourself and get it done right. This was for my phone service that I cancelled 2 months ago.

Anyone from Pennsylvania, who has experience with Frontier bonded dsl?
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to js111410

to js111410
I did have 3.5Mbps down and then the connection went bad. I suspect the issue is cross talk or a water logged wirebox. They assure me that neither of those is the issue and I'm just too far away to get a good connection in summer. Considering it worked fine for 9 months I suspect that response is BS.
They dropped me down to 1.7Mbps and the connection still was not stable during one of the coldest winters we have had in a while.

I figure I can switch to a wisp and use a VOIP service such as magicjack for the same price as they are giving me for phone and internet service. (The internet service will be 3 times faster.)

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to js111410

to js111410
Local loop is irrelevant. They tried to sell a coworker a 12 Mbit ADSL2+ line when the #$%^$^% DSLAM only was fed with 3 T1s......
js111410
Shavertown, PA

js111410

Interesting. I called my local engineering department and they said 24/2 is possible, but maybe I should check the backhaul... I'm starting to wonder what the CO is running off of.

ted97
@93.167.245.x

ted97 to js111410

Anon

to js111410
Dude, no. Frontier is not good at all. If you were to swallow your wallet, you would get punched in the stomach everyday by these goons. Their reliability is just sad.