Search similar:

uniqs

darkadept
Premium Member
join:2002-02-17
Greenwood, IN

darkadept

Premium Member

[Signals] Slow speeds - how do these levels look?

Click for full size
My sister has had some issues with very slow speeds at home. She's reporting that she's getting up to 4mbs down and 1mbs up...if she's lucky. I believe she's supposed to be on the 25/5 package. I took a snapshot of her power levels, but not sure how to read them on the arris.

Any help would be appreciated. Should I post the same thing in the direct forums?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

[Signals] Re: Slow speeds - how do these levels look?

Your upstream is maxed out. Your downstream is OK. You need to have somebody look at it.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to darkadept

to darkadept
upstream power is WAY too high. see here »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What should my Signal Levels be?

are there any splitters in the coax lines in the house? if so remove them, if not you probably need a tech out to take a look

darkadept
Premium Member
Greenwood, IN

darkadept

Premium Member

Re: [Signals] Slow speeds - how do these levels look?

It's an apartment, but the line coming out of the wall has a splitter with one going to his TV which has an HD DTA attached and the other going to the Cable Modem. That's how Comcast set it up, but it's been over a year ago that they were last out there.

From there, I have no idea if there are splitters somewhere else behind the walls or not, I highly doubt it's a home run solution.

I'll have her call and get an apt made to have someone look.

hallo
@99.54.109.x

hallo

Anon

if its an apartment look for a blank double wallplate in the laundry room. VERY common to have a splitter behind there. just figure out which line you are using and barrel it directly to the incoming line, bypassing the splitter. if that doesn't help or you don't have one, might be an outside issue or bad cabling in the walls. being the forward is good but the return is so high, i am willing to bet you have an extraneous splitter somewhere.

darkadept
Premium Member
Greenwood, IN

darkadept

Premium Member

Click for full size
My sister called Comcast and they told her everything looked good on their end. However, her speeds were still in the toilet, so I told her to call back and have someone come out to look.

Apparently, "everything" was fine and he didn't need to do anything, however her speeds "magically" increased to 81 down and 23 up, so it sounds like she's on the extreme package, but we didn't know that. He told her that it was her router or the wireless card in her computer that was causing the issue - although I've hooked my laptop directly to the modem and still got the slow speeds.

She ran another test that night because she couldn't get online, and found out that she had lost the signal entirely because her home phone wouldn't work either. She called Comcast again, who got it running once again, but now her speeds are back to 1.38 down, and .43 up.

Here is a snap shot of her power levels now - at least she now has more channels up than she did before. Sorry, she took it with her cell and sent it through SMS.

I think I'm going to need to visit her soon, especially while the tech is there.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum

Premium Member

what time was it when you took that second picture?

if you had a tech out and said nothing was needed and truly did nothing to the lines in the building.. between the 1st image posted and the second image I see at least a 9 dBmV swing in the upstream level.

that tells me there could be an amplifier outside that is unbalanced.. with the level(s) fluctuating that much it could be temperature related and the amp has a bad AGC (auto gain control) on the upstream side.. both are easy fixes for a good tech.

darkadept
Premium Member
Greenwood, IN

darkadept

Premium Member

She made another phone call and the phone rep told her everything was good on their side. The pic was taken 2 days later than the very first picture, about 12 hours after the tech was out to check her line.

I think it's just time I get in touch with them. They want to keep blaming her wireless equipment which I know right now isn't the case....and the tech did a speed test on her machine right after he was there and it was the 80/23, but a few hours later it was back to the 1/.50 speeds.

Thanks for all of the help and insight into this!!!