All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
simon24
join:2014-07-14

simon24

Mikrotik routerboard thoughts?

Are the Mikrotik routerboard products really as good as they seem?

I'm a techsavy user being the defacto IT guy for a 30-person company and need something with more power than typical consumer/SMB router. I don't want to go to Cisco-ish $$$ hardware because we simply don't have that expertise on site.

I came across the Mikrotik name by accident and they seem to have an enthusiastic and dedicated following with lots of positive reviews. Any downsides?

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX

PamelaTS

I'd never heard of, though quickly looking at their offerings I'm wondering where is gigabit Ethernet.
simon24
join:2014-07-14

1 edit

simon24

Only the lowest consumer type products are missing gigabit Ethernet. RB750GL and up all have it. See: »routerboard.com/products

ryan3531
join:2012-09-23

1 recommendation

ryan3531 to simon24

to simon24
The downside is that every software revision they release introduces about as many new bugs as they've fixed. Their software QA is very poor, and when you contact support the first thing they'll tell you is to try a pre-release beta/rc and see if that fixes your problem.

That said, many people use Mikrotik in their networks successfully, and the company has gained a loyal following by having an expansive feature set at a very low price. My advice if you're going to use them in your network is to thoroughly test your desired configuration, never upgrade the firmware unless you have a compelling reason to do so, and when that time comes to thoroughly test your configuration again with the new version. Routerboards are inexpensive enough that you should buy a few extra as lab equipment anyway.
TheAnalyzer
join:2006-01-20
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Synology RT6600ax
Synology RT2600ac

1 edit

1 recommendation

TheAnalyzer to simon24

to simon24
You might want to have a look at Ubiquiti:

»www.ubnt.com

EdgeRouter Lite, Edge Router PoE, EdgeRouter Pro.

Far less expensive than cisco stuff but very powerful with an active community.
If you are a bit more technical then you can even write your own wizard for a feature the router does not have out of the box.

So very flexible stuff. The system runs on vyata.

TA