uniqs

emjayef
join:2007-11-25
Pleasant Hill, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C9
Obihai OBi200

emjayef

SB6141 Firmware upgrade errors - should I be worried?

I have cable service from Astound, 55mb/s. The provided 3-months free modem, a black SB6141. After the 3 months, I decided to buy a white SB6141 from Amazon, and had it provisioned with no apparent problems.

The modem has firmware revision "SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH". The original black modem from Astound had a slightly newer version, "SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.13-SCM00-NOSH".

Looking at the logs for the modem, I see that every time it boots, it gets an error "SW upgrade Failed before download - File not Present".

Not sure if this was a problem, I called Astound and first confirmed that they do update customer-owned modems, and then asked them about the error. I was told that this was not normal, and I should contact the manufacturer.

So, I called Motorola, and was told that the update really wouldn't make a difference, and that if there was any problem, it would not connect, and he also insisted that if it got an error upgrading, it was because there was not an update available.

I'm mainly worried that there could be a problem with the modem that would prevent future updates, not to mention that there may be a problem now with the version I have that I have not encountered, or if I increase my service speed, I may have a problem. Somehow, I don't really trust either side to be giving me a correct answer.

I can still return the modem to Amazon if there is a problem, and I'm tempted to do this if I can't find out the answer for sure.

Does the provider need to do something special to push the upgrade down to us, or does the modem automatically grab it if it's available?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

Short version: don't worry about it, it's nothing.

Long version: Astound is telling the modem, either via DHCP or the config file, to upgrade the firmware. However, Astound's server does not have the firmware file and so the modem is logging the "cannot find file" error. Astound needs to either a) change the link to point to the right file or b) upload the file to their servers.

/M

emjayef
Pleasant Hill, CA

emjayef

Thanks - I'll try confirming that with Astound, and see if they can do something about it. May take a few tries for me to get someone who has a clue, but hopefully, it will get straightened out.
emjayef

1 recommendation

emjayef

Just an update: my modem magically updated itself to the newer firmware. I'm not certain what caused it, but it happened after an incident where the AC brick for the fiber cable got slightly dislodged in my garage, and caused the internet to go out. I called tech support, and they were unable to get any response from their end (not surprisingly), and I suddenly remembered that my wife had been doing something in the garage near where the brick plugged in. I checked, saw it was slightly out, and plugged it in. After it booted up, it had the new firmware.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Do you remember how you successfully change the radio station in a Microsoft automobile while driving? First you stop the car at a designated rest stop, then you turn off the radio, then turn off any other accessories. After that you turn off the engine and wait 2 minutes. Change the radio station and then restart the car, then turn on the radio to see if your station change was successful.

Multiple complete power and data disconnect and reconnect reboots are often needed with some devices. It should not be this way, but it sometimes is.

emjayef
Pleasant Hill, CA

1 recommendation

emjayef

You forgot to close all the windows first before you turn off the radio!
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

davidhoffman

Premium Member

True.