spc
Search similar:

uniqs

thrashmagazi
@162.220.42.x

thrashmagazi

Anon

Different Router

I switched today to internet only with Verizon Fios. I currently have CAT5 from my ONT to my verizon router. Since I do not have cable anymore can I completely ditch my verizon router in place of my own choosing? I was told by tech support today, NO, but I find that hard to believe since I have ethernet and not COXIAL.

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX

rexbinary

Premium Member

Yes you should be able to use a different router if you are currently using CAT5 from the ONT.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to thrashmagazi

MVM

to thrashmagazi
Release the WAN IP before removing the Actiontec router and installing your own router as primary. If the new router doesn't get an address right away. Turn it off for at least an hour, although you may need up to two hours. Keep your Actiontec available because what tech support said is correct, in a fashion. If you have internet problems, they will insist you reconnect the Actiontec as primary before troubleshooting.
cuda74360
join:2008-11-08
Halethorpe, MD

cuda74360 to thrashmagazi

to thrashmagazi
said by birdfeedr:

Keep your Actiontec available because what tech support said is correct, in a fashion. If you have internet problems, they will insist you reconnect the Actiontec as primary before troubleshooting.

I'm going through this now. I'm having intermittent issues, and It doesn't matter how many traceroutes and line quality tests I send them showing them that the problem occurs outside of my network... they won't troubleshoot unless I'm using the Actiontec.
KGB7
join:2003-12-17
Rockville, MD

KGB7 to thrashmagazi

to thrashmagazi
Try cat5e or cat6 cable.

Reset ONT.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to cuda74360

MVM

to cuda74360
said by cuda74360:

I'm having intermittent issues,

As am I. I think it's related to the symmetrical upgrade. The FiOS network is a little sketchy right now. They're pushing the envelope.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

1 edit

serge87

said by thrashmagazi :

I switched today to internet only with Verizon Fios. I currently have CAT5 from my ONT to my verizon router. Since I do not have cable anymore can I completely ditch my verizon router in place of my own choosing? I was told by tech support today, NO, but I find that hard to believe since I have ethernet and not COXIAL.

Yes. Level1 tier VZ support are easily confused when asked a non-scripted question and will give very conservative answers. I've been using another router for internet-only FIOS that can handle more NAT table states for a few years now.

More info: »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet
said by birdfeedr:

said by cuda74360:

I'm having intermittent issues,

As am I. I think it's related to the symmetrical upgrade. The FiOS network is a little sketchy right now. They're pushing the envelope.

The download side of BPON/GPON was on the edge of pushing it especially when "Quantum" was introduced. The upload side is even more oversubscribed if you do the math for a 32/64 optical splitter and this doesn't even take into account 20mbps+ fluff many are seeing. If VZ customers actually put this upload speed bump to use it will be interesting to see the effects. It makes me wonder when XG-PON will begin to be implemented...