Search similar:

uniqs
ablatt
join:2001-08-03
Toronto, ON

1 edit

ablatt

DPC3825 vs CGN3 on Hybrid 60

I just upgraded at home from Extreme Plus to Hybrid 60. It was cheaper, and if you have two other services they give you 200GB downloads free on top of the 120GB. That gives me 320GB instead of the 150GB I had with Extreme Plus.

They give you a choice of modems between the DPC3825 for $8 or the CGN3 for $12.

Even if you already had a DPC3825, and you choose the $8 modem, they ask you to exchange it at a Rogers store for another DPC3825, due to a glitch in their system where the DPC3825 has been renamed.

My question is, if I stick with Hybrid 60, and I don't care about wireless signal strength, and I'm just using the device in gateway mode, should I switch to the CGN3 or stick with the DPC3825?

One thing I don't like about the DPC3825 is that even if you disable wireless it still broadcasts a signal (in gateway mode, not bridge mode). Something to do with Home Monitoring, which I don't have.

The DPC3825 has been pretty reliable.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Just keep the DPC3825.

Also the signal that is broadcast has nothing to do with the Smart Home Monitoring it is just a bug. In bridge mode it will never broadcast wireless. However if you keep it in gateway mode and turn off wireless, there is a bug that will flip the wireless back on if the modem is rebooted. Reboots can be caused due to power outages, firmware upgrades or could be user induced. To turn the wireless back off after a reboot you have to go into the user admin, turn the wireless back on and then turn it off again.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx to ablatt

to ablatt
said by ablatt:

Even if you already had a DPC3825, and you choose the $8 modem, they ask you to exchange it at a Rogers store for another DPC3825, due to a glitch in their system where the DPC3825 has been renamed.

If this is what's happening this is absurd.

Is Rogers so thoughtless, ignorant, disrespectful, self serving and just plain despicable that they'd rather have thousands of customers running back and forth to their stores than doing the right thing and fixing the 'glitch' in their system?

What kind of amateurs do they have running the company? Inquiring minds want to know.
ablatt
Toronto, ON

ablatt

Sad but true
dtchmshkyan
join:2013-08-12
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan to ablatt

to ablatt
The answer to your question really depends on how congested the area you live in is. DPC3825 is rock solid but is limited to 8 downstream channels. I am also on Hybrid 60 with CGN3 and I have download activity spread over 20 channels. Furthermore upstream channels are wider comparable to DPC3825. And another reason I use CGN3 is because I actually use its wireless which has been rock solid too.

So, if you do not care about the wireless and do not have congestion issues I would just keep the DPC3825.

But recently there has been reports about serious security vulnerability in DPC3825 which had not been addressed by Rogers. This reason alone would make me running to swap Cisco DPC3825 For CGN3.
ablatt
Toronto, ON

ablatt

Thanks for the replies.

I may consider the CGN3.

In gateway mode, no matter what you do, you cannot fully disable wireless.

I have tried every conceivable enable/disable combination.

The DPC3825 broadcasts two wireless signals with different MAC addresses. The normal one with the unit's own MAC address can be disabled. The other one, with a slightly modified MAC address, can't. You can see it with inSSIDer.
dtchmshkyan
join:2013-08-12
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan

CGN3 on the other side doesn't have any issues with disabling wireless on both radios.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to ablatt

MVM

to ablatt
No security issues with the DPC3825 in bridge mode. My suggestion is to keep the CISCO. The CGN3 has a ton of issues but in bridge mode it's a very good cable modem.
ablatt
Toronto, ON

ablatt

said by mozerd:

No security issues with the DPC3825 in bridge mode. My suggestion is to keep the CISCO. The CGN3 has a ton of issues but in bridge mode it's a very good cable modem.

What kinds of issues does the CGN3 have in gateway/router mode?
redeye95
join:2014-01-22
Mississauga, ON

redeye95 to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by ablatt:

Is Rogers so thoughtless, ignorant, disrespectful, self serving and just plain despicable that they'd rather have thousands of customers running back and forth to their stores than doing the right thing and fixing the 'glitch' in their system?

What kind of amateurs do they have running the company? Inquiring minds want to know.

well, perhaps the "customer service" is beside the Late great Ted Rogers?...

TNK
join:2011-03-22
HNVION17

TNK to elitefx

to elitefx

said by elitefx See Profile

The reason they implemented allowing the 3825 and CGN2 modems for 60/10 is because apparently there's a parts shortage at Hitron, and a new batch of CGN3's will be delayed.