Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to guyjr

Premium Member

to guyjr

Re: [Networking] Symmetrical Tier Upgrade resulted in lower download speeds

said by guyjr:

Methinks I'm going to hold off for a while on this one...

My thought all along. No reason to "jump in" only to potentially have a problem to resolve. Currently at 50/25 (~58/38) and, I believe, BPON.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I did the rewards thing too but never received an email indicating I now qualified for the "uplink upgrade." But, honestly, I don't need that anyway. Verizon's own blog says that we'll all get it -- eventually. But by signing up for the rewards program you're supposed to get it sooner than "through the fall" as indicated in the post. You would think they could just run a script to re-provision all subscribers to the new speeds.
guyjr
join:1999-08-30
USA

guyjr

well... having a tiered deployment is the safer route. I'm no big fan of their chosen method of implementation (new subscribers to an already existing "rewards" program - how ironic is that!?), but it's in their best interests to not flip the switch on all accounts at once.

xNPC
As Usual, Have Nice Day
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Errington, BC

xNPC to ScrawnyB

Premium Member

to ScrawnyB

did not have to do anything but sign up for rewards+ and wait 5 minutes
guyjr
join:1999-08-30
USA

guyjr to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
I couldn't resist... BPON previously was 58/35... now...

jades
join:2013-04-01
New York, NY

jades to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
I just changed from 50/25 to 50/50 in my parents home in NJ on GPON, same equipment as my home in NYC, and it resulted in 45/64, vs the 58/40 that they were getting in the past. Verizon direct support and tech support are both useless.

I sent NYCdave an email via dslreports, I hope he will be able to get this solved. Otherwise it just sucks big time, and totally unfair
Expand your moderator at work
bigpapae35
join:2002-10-25
New York, NY

bigpapae35 to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB

Re: [Networking] Symmetrical Tier Upgrade resulted in lower download speeds

how do I get in touch with NYCDAVE?
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

Does the 150Mb tier get any fluff really? Not much on up or down here since I upgraded this morning... Not complaining since I'm going back to 75/75 in a few days, but just curious.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by ScrawnyB:

Does the 150Mb tier get any fluff really? Not much on up or down here since I upgraded this morning... Not complaining since I'm going back to 75/75 in a few days, but just curious.

I use to get close to 160 Mbps down prior to the upgrade to 150/150 from 150/65. Now my DL is around 153-155 Mbps while my UL is close to 160 Mbps. Not complaining since it is over the 150 Mbps mark regardless.
sjgruber
Premium Member
join:2007-06-19
Odenton, MD

sjgruber to ScrawnyB

Premium Member

to ScrawnyB
Just got upgraded. I did not lose fluff. I'm on 75/75.

dewdude
pfSense on xcp-ng Asterisk geek
join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA
·voip.ms
(Software) pfSense
(Software) DD-WRT

dewdude to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
My fluff on the downstream didn't get affected; in fact, if anything I've seen it hit 84 to 86mbps where as before it wanted to max out at 83.9mbps. My upstream fluff spikes as high as 91mbps; but overall my speeds actually got a tiny bit better. I'm actually seeing better pings on occasion; I saw one that was 3ms...the lowest I saw prior to the upgrade was 6.

I've guessed the better pings are a result of maybe larger transmit windows on GPON? I'm not exactly sure how the transmit slots are assigned; or how much data one can cram per slice.
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

I noticed a 2-3ms decrease, with 1.5-2ms being my first hop when going from BPON to GPON today. But the routes are different so it's difficult to conclude anything other than it seems I have a better route now and lower first-hop latency.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to bigpapae35

to bigpapae35
said by bigpapae35:

how do I get in touch with NYCDAVE?

You can message him on his profile page: »/profi ··· e/118222

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to ScrawnyB

Premium Member

to ScrawnyB

50/25 tier, BPON and FIOS beta-tester (have had FiOS since 2004). Router limited, and traffic shaping enabled.
jades
New York, NY

jades to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
nycdave corrected this. Genius!
Btw it was on GPON, and I was pretty surprised, since many others on GPON are not reporting underprovisioned speeds

SoCalDude
join:2008-07-30
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to sk1939

to sk1939
Pretty cool you get to say that you had FIOS for a decade, heh.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to ScrawnyB

Premium Member

to ScrawnyB
said by ScrawnyB:

I noticed a 2-3ms decrease, with 1.5-2ms being my first hop when going from BPON to GPON today.

Scrawny-
With GPON, you are hooked up via ethernet, so it has that lower 1st hop latency.

That is unless you were previously hooked up that way instead of via coax.
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

said by SeattleMatt:

Scrawny-
With GPON, you are hooked up via ethernet, so it has that lower 1st hop latency.

That is unless you were previously hooked up that way instead of via coax.

Nope, I was on cat5 before my install. Using my own router + DD-WRT. I only have the Actiontec in the mix for the TV Guide Data.

When I went from Coax to Ethernet, I lost somehting like 7-10ms, which was crazy.
jades
New York, NY

jades to sk1939

to sk1939
You have to adjust your traffic shaping in order to see the new speeds

SRF26
join:2000-04-03
Jamaica, NY

SRF26

I would like to PM nycdave about my reduced download speed. What info do I need to provide him?

TIA.....JL
evo7
join:2009-01-03
Audubon, NJ

1 edit

evo7

I subscribed to 50/25 and routinely got 58/38, now I am getting 58/60

knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
Is there a time when we won't have to bother nycdave to get the upgrade and keep the fluff? I'd like to wait until then to do the Rewards thing.

In other words, do they know why this is happening to people and do they plan to fix it systemically?
Triptothane
join:2004-03-09
Pittsburgh, PA

Triptothane to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
Any information out there to support if Motorola ONT1000JI is BPON or GPON?
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

1 edit

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by Triptothane:

Any information out there to support if Motorola ONT1000JI is BPON or GPON?

Looks like a GPON ONT!

»Re: Which ONTs are these?

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to jades

Premium Member

to jades
said by jades:

You have to adjust your traffic shaping in order to see the new speeds

It's mostly the router, you really can't run these speeds with services (NAT, QoS, CME) on a 2811.

Data Network

VoIP Network

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

1 edit

bluepoint to knarf829

to knarf829
said by knarf829:

In other words, do they know why this is happening to people and do they plan to fix it systemically?

I believe they are aware that some are having problem with the upgrades and probably analyzing the cause. Give them time they'll figure it out. This isn't an official statement, but hopefully by next week it will be smooth sailing for everybody.

SRF26
join:2000-04-03
Jamaica, NY

SRF26

Kudos for nycdave. He took the time to verify my account was provisioned correctly for 50/50 and it was. Thanks again nycdave.

Regards...JL
rChaz
join:2014-07-28
Hoboken, NJ

rChaz to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
I see that a number of users were able to have their "fluff" restored by "nycdave".

I was wondering if "data-only" plans would also normally have a bit of fluff - or only packages that include TV & VoD? My internet-only account was updated from 15/5 to 50/50, and while the Upload speed has plenty of fluff, the Download speed clocks in at ~49Mbps. Not bad, but could be better (kind of like a new monitor with a dead pixel or two that's still "within spec".)

Also, of those who've had this provisioning "fixed", where there any settings changes that where made at the customer end? Eg, a TCP settings tweak or, as "jades" said - traffic shaping (of the router settings, or at the Verizon end?) Eg, what did "nycdave" have to do to "fix" the provisioning?

Thanks for any insights...