Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Re: [Landscaping] Sprinkler timing

I'm going to start out by setting each zone (two zones in the yard) for 15 minutes each on even days. The timer can be set by day(s) of week, odd/even days, or interval watering (once every x days). The front yard is sprays but the back yard is rotors. The back yard probably doesn't need as much water as it's on the north side of the building.

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3

Anon

Why not just once a week for a few minutes, so you can make sure it still works. Those weeds are not going to magically turn to grass by watering more frequently. And that's IMO a bit beyond what "weed and feed" can do.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

So the only hope for this lawn is to spray the whole thing with RoundUp and plant new grass seed.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Sounds like an idea for a new thread...

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3 to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
Yes if you wanted a nice grassy yard then that is what you would need to do. However, that is going to take a long term committment to watering. The landlord has already expressed concern over water usage before you had the sprinkler working. The landlord may prefer a yard that is mostly weeds but "green" over the increased cost of daily watering grass. Do you catch my drift?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

There was a big dead spot that the previous tenants (that did thousands of dollars in damage) left behind from kids playing. She was planning on reseeding it but needed our commitment to watering it. Now we can because of the sprinklers working.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Maybe I should get some Ortho Weed B Gone plus Crabgrass Control with the hose end sprayer.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

Maybe I should get some Ortho Weed B Gone plus Crabgrass Control with the hose end sprayer.

That would leave a dirt patch. All you have there is weeds, they will be killed along with some of the little grass managing to still grow.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

So the best bet like said before would be the RoundUp and reseeding. What's the best time of year to do this.

It has full sun so getting it to grow is no problem.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

Roundup now and again in 2 weeks.
Seed at the beginning of September.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Here is a good article on watering one's lawn, especially deep watering once a week
»www.fairwaylawns.com/watering/

I will not repeat it here, but it is a good read and covers different situations, lawn types and more.
hortnut

hortnut to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Here again, is a decent article to renovate an existing lawn using weed killer, including the steps involved and the timing for renovating:
»reopro.ning.com/profiles ··· cost-you

Another decent article on renovating:
»www.ext.colostate.edu/pu ··· 241.html

I will not regurgitate what is in the articles as they are pretty straight forward in going about the steps. And can be done inexpensively with tools you probably have. If I recall correctly you bought a tank sprayer and that will work.

I have renovated 2 lawns of reasonable size and helped 2 friends do thiers. I made a tank mix of 41% Generic Roundup for the grass and added 2,4-D, to get the broad-leaf weeds, in a tank mix and added some surfactant [common dish detergent without perfumes or colors, in other applications one should use a product designed just for surfactant.].

[2,4-D can obtained in certain Ortho Weed-B-Gon products and other manufactures, here is the label to look for - Weed B Gone Max has other active ingredients. And I have found it does not work as well for me in my area. Or go to an Ag Store to get straight 2,4-D]]

Here is what is being used to fight super weeds in gmo operations where roundup does not get all and 2,4-D is being added -- »farmprogress.com/story-t ··· -9-12444
Wear eye protection, nitrile gloves or their equivalent that go up the arm and waterproof shoes/boots. Include something that goes up your legs as well. Have rain gear, use that. In a pinch I have used bread bags and rubber bands.

In my case, my lawn had divots and low spots, so after all was dead, I used my Ariens tiller set real high to rip up the grass/weeds, raked that off and then added mulch and raked that to level off the lawn. I then watered to settle all, re raked and then seeded and covered with a fine much instead of peat moss or something else. It takes a little muscle work but it works. My whole cost was the grass seed, little fertilizer and the weed killers.

Make sure to read the labels and select and apply for your area and grasses.

Just bought some this week from my local family run Hardware Store, for spot spraying at my Sister's:
--Roundup 32 oz Hi Yield Brand $14.99/qt, 41%, use 2 1/2 oz per 200 feet square for renovations. [1.5 oz in other uses]
--Ortho 32 oz Weed-B-Gone $14.99/qt, 6.62% 2,4-D, use 2.5 oz per gallon per 400 sq feet and spray when day is below 90 F and if needed repeat in 14 days.
In using both watch for drift when applying.

Just follow the steps in the labels and you should end up with an excellent lawn. Good luck and have fun.

There are other generic brands and make sure to read the warnings as to when to apply and what not to apply it to and double check application rates.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I installed a sprinkler system in our front yard 6 years ago when we tore out the rock garden and put in a front lawn. I did four PGJ's, and then micro irrigation for the garden. The parkway has two 360 degree sprays in the center (that wasn't something I did, we always had grass there and my dad did that 13 years ago)

I actually have a video of that system that I made some time ago (5 years ago):

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· FHYCQPtQ

I was actually 14 when I put that system in, it took me some time to plan it but it ended up being very well thought out and has been trouble free since then. I blow it out in the fall every year with compressed air and nothing has ever broken. I had plans to do half of the back yard too (even ordered the parts) but never got around to it... (I may someday!)

Anyway I'm using the Hunter Pro-C timer like yours and I have it set to water Monday and Friday starting around 5 AM. Zone 1 waters for 35 minutes and zone 2 for 52 minutes. at 10 GPM on zone 2 that's 520 gallons I'm putting on that lawn twice a week - alot of water! (actually only ever need to put that much down in a drought but I'm not worried about the water bill as overall consumption is well managed) If I ever did the whole yard I'd upgrade the timer to one that bases watering times on current weather conditions to minimize consumption. (our yard is 3/4's of an acre and the water consumption spikes about 15,000 gallons when I have to water it manually in dry months)

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Pretty neat system. Better designed than what I had to work with.

There is a part of my yard with no coverage because it the building used to be part of a larger apartment complex and one of the side yards comes off of the neighboring building.

I could run another zone but it costs $200 a day to rent a trencher from Home Depot.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by IowaCowboy:

I could run another zone but it costs $200 a day to rent a trencher from Home Depot.

It only costs $26.97 to buy one. That extra zone won't take that long to dig.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Razo ··· 04476143