how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dimdem

join:2000-06-17
Norfolk, VA

[VA] Speeds: Hampton Roads

It's been a long time since I've done any sort of speed test, but over the weekend I signed up for a promo to try out the Premier tier. Saturday and Sunday I was seeing DL speeds of right around 50 Mbps. Today, though, it's dropped to the 20s, even sometimes below 25Mbps. I did happen to run a couple of tests before the upgrade, and with the Preferred tier we were getting about 30Mbps, but those tests were on weekday mornings and the weekend. I'm sure that there's more traffic on weekday afternoons, but is this big of a drop in speed normal?

I did install a new modem Saturday; I signed up for the promo while calling to get them to provision the new MAC. But I was seeing the higher speeds over the weekend with the new modem; it's not like the speed dropped as soon as I installed it.

Anyway, I'm just curious what kinds of speeds others in my area (I'm in Norfolk) are getting, especially if they're on Premier.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3

What modem are you currently using?

dimdem

Norfolk, VA

SB6141

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA

What does the modem signal levels look like? »192.168.100.1 to check if you didn't already know.

dimdem

Norfolk, VA

Yeah, that's bookmarked. I'll give you the levels, although I should report first that speeds are back up. I just tested at 48Mbps while my wife is streaming Netflix. I'll monitor it over a few days and see if it's holding steady. Anyway, SNR ranges from 37 to 39, downstream power ranges from 0 to 5, upstream power is 48 on all channels.

Jrod0125

@70.160.247.x

I'm on the peninsula and sadly for me I get consistent slow downs at night. I'm now on the Ultimate tier and just tonight alone my speeds are ranging from 3 to 13Mbps.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Jrod0125 :

I'm on the peninsula and sadly for me I get consistent slow downs at night. I'm now on the Ultimate tier and just tonight alone my speeds are ranging from 3 to 13Mbps.

What modem are you using, and how are your signal levels on the modem?

sniperboyz

join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to dimdem

I am on Premier Tier too but the speed look normal for while. Here's currently speed while there no in use right now:

It is depends on if WiFi Router or computer should get result of slow down. Can you tell us what WiFi router you current using and modem signal page?

dimdem

Norfolk, VA

Right now I have a Linksys 54G, although an ASUS router arrives tomorrow. But the computer that I'm checking from has a wired connection, so there's no WiFi issue. Anyway, I'm back up to nearly 50 Mbps, so I'm hoping the drop was just a temporary glitch.

sniperboyz

join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

That's issue. WRT54G does not have enough CPU to keep up with that bandwidth. I using ASUS RT-N66R. It is very fast router. Hope it is good enough for you.

I give you a hint, look into »www.smallnetbuilder.com there's answer.

Have a nice day.

Shadowdane

join:2000-11-02
Fairfax, VA
reply to dimdem

Yah the Linksys WRT54G is the problem... I'm surprised your even seeing 50mbps at all. That router is restricted to about 30mbps maximum out the WAN port with the Firewall turned on.

You'll see a huge speed increase with a newer router!

dimdem

Norfolk, VA
reply to dimdem

So I'm having crappy speeds again this afternoon/evening. (I temporarily installed the new ASUS router to see if that helped, and it seemed to make things worse, but I didn't really play with it and have the Linksys back on now.) This morning speeds were great again, but they seemed to dip late afternoon. How would you determine if you had a congested node?

Jrod0125

@72.218.78.x

This is exactly the same issue that I've been having for the past couple of months. Speeds are great during the morning early afternoon and they dip down to ridiculous levels at night.

dimdem

Norfolk, VA
reply to dimdem

My speeds seem to dip around 4 P.M. and rebound about 8 P.M. My "box" where the cable enters the house is over on the west side, so it would be warmest in the late afternoon; could something in there be affected by the heat?