spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jay1278
@67.232.181.x

jay1278

Anon

[CenturyTel] I just upgraded my modem to pk5001z

Hello, i had to upgrade to the new pk5001z from the R660 not by choice but was forced to by an act of god.
Our phone box got hit by lightning and fried the modem, phone, a switch box, and an ethernet port on the main pc..

Now i have dove into the modem/routers gui and settings.. I have found great setting and it works very well.
But i found out very quickly that this modem/router has a very weak wireless antenna..
It only goes out for about 10 feet give or take a few inches lol..

Anyways i want to hook up my router, but it needs to be bridged and this is setup very different than the r660 was..

Now i was told to put it in transparent mode but when i do that i lose the internet connection..
I was told after that i should connect my router to the modem, and the internet connection should come right back..

Well, i did everything i was told and the router doesn't pick up the connection nor does the modem..
The modem doesn't ever get the signal back until i do a complete factory reset to it..

So i googled and googled trying to find answers because centurylink doesn't help at all..
i found this place and i would like to know the step by step instructions on how to bridge this modem/router to make it where i can use my good router? So i can walk almost a mile down the road and use my internet.

I hope someone is out there that can help me, i know everyone on here went through the same as i am now and figured it out eventually somehow by getting help.

Thanks in advance..

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943

You have to put your Username and Password in the router. In the menu there should be something about ppoe entries.

dslanywhere
@65.40.217.x

dslanywhere

Anon

From the O.P.s IP range I'd say he was in the old Embarq area which is DHCP and not PPoE

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

1 edit

Ken1943 to jay1278

to jay1278
I have seen that before. I know what DHCP is, but how does that differ with Username and Password considering CL.

You might want to tell him how to program it.

jay1278
@67.232.181.x

jay1278 to dslanywhere

Anon

to dslanywhere
said by dslanywhere :

From the O.P.s IP range I'd say he was in the old Embarq area which is DHCP and not PPoE

you are right embarq used to be here for years, when centurylink used to be sprint.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to jay1278

MVM

to jay1278
said by jay1278 :

Anyways i want to hook up my router, but it needs to be bridged and this is setup very different than the r660 was.

Do you mean bridge the RG (PK5001Z), or the router (as an Access Point)? I have not worked with the PK5001Z, but I did bridge a Pace 4111N-030.
NormanS

NormanS to Ken1943

MVM

to Ken1943
said by Ken1943:

I have seen that before. I know what DHCP is, but how does that differ with Username and Password considering CL.

I can't address CenturyLink; but when I changed DSL providers, I went from PPPoE to DHCP. The DHCP provider did not require a username+password to connect.

jay1278
@67.232.181.x

jay1278 to NormanS

Anon

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by jay1278 :

Anyways i want to hook up my router, but it needs to be bridged and this is setup very different than the r660 was.

Do you mean bridge the RG (PK5001Z), or the router (as an Access Point)? I have not worked with the PK5001Z, but I did bridge a Pace 4111N-030.

yes i need to bridge the modem as i stated in my post. this pk5001z has a transparent bridge mode where it loses connection all together.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Well, I guess I am stumped. My ISP shipped me a Pace 4111N-030, which had a firmware bug preventing a connection in bridged mode. They eventually pushed a version update which fixed that bug.

jay1278
@67.232.181.x

jay1278

Anon

said by NormanS:

Well, I guess I am stumped. My ISP shipped me a Pace 4111N-030, which had a firmware bug preventing a connection in bridged mode. They eventually pushed a version update which fixed that bug.

guess im gonna have to contact centurylink and tell them they need to fix the software for the modem or send a new modem.. because it should not be as hard as this to put into bridge mode..
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

FYI,

CL does not "support" putting there modems in transparent bridge mode. Per CL's website, "Support for this function is offered for CenturyLink business customers only."

»internethelp.centurylink ··· g-q.html

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to jay1278

MVM

to jay1278
FWIW, my ISP was charging me $6.50 a month to rent the Pace 4111N. I had been using my mother's ZTE 831II modem (same ISP), and planning to return the Pace when the ZTE died. I bought a spanking new D-LinkDSL-520B (ADSL2+ modem), which was bridged out of the box. $46.00 plus tax and shipping from Amazon. May be in local brick-and-mortar stores, as well. Sent the Pace back and got the rent off of my bill.

P.S. Naturally, my ISP's CSR told me they don't support my modem; but if it lasts as long as my old SpeedStream 4100 ADSL modem, I'll be able to save enough to pay for five when I need a replacement!
gapmn
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to jay1278

to jay1278
In other words, you can use the bridge mode, but they are not going to help you. Just get the ISP modem settings for your particular connection from CL and enter them into your router.

jay1278
@67.232.181.x

jay1278 to gapmn

Anon

to gapmn
said by gapmn:

FYI,

CL does not "support" putting there modems in transparent bridge mode. Per CL's website, "Support for this function is offered for CenturyLink business customers only."

»internethelp.centurylink ··· g-q.html

since when? i had my R660 in bridge mode all the time.
also i am a business customer..
gapmn
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

If you have a CL business account , have them help you set it up.

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc to jay1278

to jay1278
I bridge my PK5001 in order to prevent double NAT.

Here's a video showing how it's done - it's quite simple. Before I bridged, I released my WAN IP address from my existing router (which had received an internal IP address from the PK5001). After the bridge was completed, I forced a renew from the router which then pulled an external (WAN) IP address.

»www.zyxel.com/us/en/mult ··· 15.shtml

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to jay1278

MVM

to jay1278
Release the WAN IP on the modem before putting it into transparent bridge mode. Connect the WAN port of the router to the LAN port on the modem. Configure the router to receive its IP by DHCP. That should be all you need to do. The Internet light on the modem usually does not come on when it is in bridge mode. To access the modem, when in bridge mode, requires a static IP be set on the PC and then connect it to the modems LAN port.

jay1278
@67.232.181.x

jay1278

Anon

thanks for all your help.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

One other thing to note. When my modem (C1000A) is in transparent bridge mode, the router getting the Public IP has to connect to LAN port 1 on the modem. The other ports will connect to the modem, so you can log into the GUI, but only port 1 will pass traffic out to the internet. I don't know if other modems will exhibit the same behavior, but my guess is a lot of them will.