JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One

Re: New Hard Drive

Thanks for the all the info guys, I'm likely going to pickup a 4TB WD Red, hopefully they'll go on sale in a little bit.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

I've been running six 3TB WD Red drives with no issues at all so you should be quite happy with those. I've also been running a collection of 1.5-2TB WD Green drives in RAID 5 (currently RAID 6) with no ill effects, though I did use WD's tool to stop the head parking nonsense.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to JC_

MVM

to JC_
said by JC_:

Thanks for the all the info guys, I'm likely going to pickup a 4TB WD Red, hopefully they'll go on sale in a little bit.

Just keep in mind that as the capacity goes up, so does the amount of data that can be lost to a drive failure. And they do fail. There is no perfect brand or model. RAID is your friend. (mirrored or 5 if you have enough drives) Always good to have some redundancy for that much data.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to JC_

MVM

to JC_
said by JC_:

I was thinking the same thing but I am finding it hard to muster the will to pay ~$175 for a 4TB WD Red. I would want two or three.

So perhaps I'll step it down to two or three 3TB WD Red HDDs.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I have three of the 4TB's, I think they go down to about $139 on sale.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

If the 4TB WD Red HDDs go down to ~$139 I would definitely buy two or three.

My problem is that I have a few older 2TB HDDs in an older server I want to remove and at some time I would like to rebuild the entire server. The drives and the data are fine for now but the time to address such possible issues is before there is a problem if at all possible.

So at this point I kind of consider it somewhat time sensitive. Although I can use the Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 Expansion drives by removing them from their enclosure and installing them in the new server I think I would prefer the WD Red HDDs.