Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

[Apps] A Reliable Alarm Clock App?

I have a stock S4 running 4.4.2. The stock alarm clock does not always go off. Many times I have set it and then overslept. I'm setting it correctly.

What is a good, reliable alarm clock app? It can be free or paid. Thanks.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

TIMLEY on the app store it also works device to device. Both my tablet and phone go off at the same time. I just turn one off both stop

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
This is the one I use: Alarm Clock Plus.

It's never failed me once. I also like that you can backup your alarm preferences and then transfer them to another device if you get a new phone. Makes it really easy so you dont' have to set it up all over again.

I love all the options it give you, and how I can just set it for multiple times for set days and just forget about it and it just does what it needs to.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
I'll second "Timely" it also managed all devices in the same play account. I have alarms set for all devices, or this device not that, that device not this. Cancel on one device cancels on all devices. TIMELY is without a doubt the alarm champion on android.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and a Samsung Tab 3 7.0; both KitKat 4.4.2

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I checked out the ones mentioned, but ended up going with the Alarm Clock Xtreme:

»play.google.com/store/ap ··· ee&hl=en

It more closely does what I'm looking for which is a pretty plain alarm clock to run on one device only.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
I have a stock S4 running 4.4.2. The stock alarm clock does not always go off.

man, not sure what's going wrong, but I find the alarm on my note2 (same 4.4.2, so I assume it's basically the same thing) works great
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I looked at a _lot_ of alarm clock apps and also went with Alarm Clock Plus.

If the stick alarm is not going off, I suspect you have something set incorrectly.

ferdeenand
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Orlando, FL

1 recommendation

ferdeenand to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
By far, Timely is the best alarm app I've ever used. Excellent design and functionality.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

I looked at a _lot_ of alarm clock apps and also went with Alarm Clock Plus.

If the stick alarm is not going off, I suspect you have something set incorrectly.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to give Alarm Clock Xtreme a test drive for a few days to make sure that it works well. If not, then I'll go with Alarm Clock Plus.

The settings are correct on the stock alarm, as I do not change them from day to day. Sometimes the stock alarm clock works, and at times it just does not.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I have a stock S4 running 4.4.2. The stock alarm clock does not always go off. Many times I have set it and then overslept. I'm setting it correctly.

I've never seen the stock alarm fail to go off. Weird.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Same here, whether it is on silent on not.

emjayef
join:2007-11-25
Pleasant Hill, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C9
Obihai OBi200

2 recommendations

emjayef to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
Probably too late for OP, but I've tried a few, including buying Alarm Clock Plus and Alarm Clock Extreme, but ended up loving Gentle Alarm. It's never failed me, and avoids failure by user error in some ways.

For example, it's very easy to skip or modify the next alarm one time, so you don't need to remember to reset it back when you need a one-time change. This, to me, is a must-have feature.

It's also super fast to set a quick, one-time alarm for something like a nap or reminder.

It has programmable number of snoozes allowed, and programmable snooze times, including reducing each snooze by a number of minutes, so you can snooze 10 minutes, then 6 minutes, then 2 minutes if you want. The alarm volume is programmably progressive, and you can set a low-level pre-alarm.

It uses templates, if desired, so setting or changing alarms is just a matter of setting the time and date, which is made easy by having multiple ways to input time (num pad, fixed numbers, etc).

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Alarm Clock Extreme works for me.

The paid version was free from Amazon Appstore a short time ago.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by Lone Wolf:

Alarm Clock Extreme works for me.

It's working fine for me also. It has ads, but it still has all of the full features that the paid version has.
DoctorStinky
join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

DoctorStinky to emjayef

to emjayef
Ditto on Gentle Alarm. Highly customizable, and I love the fact that I can be awakened gradually by a variety of sounds that start very softly and gradually increase in volume over the course of a configurable length of time. One caveat, though: Don't buy it through the Amazon app store. Their entitlement scheme sucks, and will prevent apps from working properly in areas where there is no signal.

emjayef
Pleasant Hill, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C9
Obihai OBi200

emjayef

Ah, yes, the Amazon app store. I made the mistake of getting a few apps from them when I first got my Android device, and later uninstalled all of them, and got them anew from Google Play store. Now I won't even take a free app from them that normally costs money; I'll pay the few dollars to not get it from them.

I really don't know what they are thinking with the way they work it, but I'm surprised that they are so foolish - usually they're pretty smart.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

What's wrong with the Amazon App Store?

emjayef
Pleasant Hill, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C9
Obihai OBi200

emjayef

Well, as DoctorStinky said, they require a network connection for the apps to work. I would really hate to miss an alarm due to lack of a network connection.

But I had other apps that had some problems due to Amazon's scheme. It's been a while, but it did have something to do with network access.

If you have apps from them, try disabling wifi and/or data access, and see if they still work.
emjayef

emjayef to Lone Wolf

to Lone Wolf
It worked for me, too. So did Alarm Clock Plus. I believe I paid for both of them before discovering Gentle Alarm.

As I said, I personally think Gentle Alarm is a wonderful alarm clock. It's a bit too much for many people, who want something very simple. I personally have no problem with features that I use.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to emjayef

Premium Member

to emjayef
I rarely have my network connected on my rooted Nook HD+ and my Amazon apps work without that connection.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

1 edit

bbear2 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
-1 Timely. I tried Timely but removed it. It required an account to backup/sync my alarms. I don't care about that, I just want an alarm clock. And there's no way around this stupid requirement, so it's a no-go for me on this one.

-1 Gentle Alarm (TRIAL); because it doesn't ring on Wednesday. Making the free trial useful for 6 days max; 1 day worst case.

+1 Alarm Clock Xtreme; Seems to be pretty reasonable. Has increasing volume. Tells you how much time until the next alarm is. However, if the alarm you're creating is after than the next alarm, this value is meaningless. So there's a few quirks with it, including a cumbersome (lots of clicks) user interface and an overly crowded alarm setting screens and the time wheels roll at an unintuitive speed for my liking.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Try my suggestion, Alarm Clock Plus.

jmacd27
Premium Member
join:2001-05-13
Toronto, ON

jmacd27 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Try double twist alarm clock. I have been using it for 2 years on several different devices with no issues.

Here is the link for the trial.

»play.google.com/store/ap ··· lockFree

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

2 recommendations

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Well, I uninstalled Alarm Clock Xtreme and purchased the ad free (99 cents) version of Alarm Clock Plus. I do like it better. Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to emjayef

Premium Member

to emjayef
Ummm I dont know what you guys are talking about. I got a few apps thru Amazon with the free app of the day deal, and never ever had a problem with them. the apps you get thru the amazon app store has nothing to do with amazon. I have the paid version of tapatalk thru them for free and it works just fine. if there's no signal on my phone, of course it wont work. No app will.

?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Well regular apps will, just not those reliant on a network connection. For example, I got Jetpack Joyride from the Amazon App Store and it worked perfectly when I was in the subway and got absolutely no network connection.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Is is possible to migrate a preloaded app to another phone by different mfg? There was this old Samsung (?) phone I saw with a great preloaded alarm clock app. Would be nice to copy that and move it to another phone.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by bbear2:

Is is possible to migrate a preloaded app to another phone by different mfg? There was this old Samsung (?) phone I saw with a great preloaded alarm clock app. Would be nice to copy that and move it to another phone.

Sorry, but I don't know if that will work. I can't answer that for you. Hopefully someone else can.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

Ummm I dont know what you guys are talking about. I got a few apps thru Amazon with the free app of the day deal, and never ever had a problem with them. the apps you get thru the amazon app store has nothing to do with amazon. I have the paid version of tapatalk thru them for free and it works just fine. if there's no signal on my phone, of course it wont work. No app will.

?

I agree...I have heard this before, but I've gotten plenty of apps int he past from Amazon, when they did the free app a day thing (do they still do that? Stopped because I was just getting stuff to get it) and never had an issue ever. Not that I was looking for it, but thats been over years. I am sure at some point I was out of signal for something.

I

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb

Premium Member

when i change phones and have to reload apps, the few I got thru the free app of the day, i have to re-download thru the amazon app store to still get free. It's on my phone just like a regular app