spc
Search similar:

uniqs
darkness1056
join:2012-11-29
Arlington, KY

3 edits

darkness1056

Zito Media Packet Loss Issues Help :( (Tech says theres no problem)

So recently i moved into my friends house and i game alot online. Well his internet is complete crap at the moment but when i was last here it was amazing. They had new lines ran and everything. I did a line quality test and i have TONS of packet loss even though i'm directly connected and no one else is on the internet at all. Even when directly connected to the Modem i'm still getting packet loss. I've had a Zito Media tech come out 10 or so times and each time he says "Nothings wrong, I've Ran tests" Well i hate to say this but he's wrong and i don't know what to do. We pay for 20 MBPS download and 10 MBPS upload and literally get nowhere near that.

Line Test: »/pingt ··· 67?r=467

Speed Test (Closest Server near me): »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5999.png

Netalyzr: »n2.netalyzr.icsi.berkele ··· 5cd-ad22
darkness1056

darkness1056

Bump

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

What are your modem levels and statistics? Take a snap shot from there...
darkness1056
Arlington, KY

darkness1056

Click for full size
Here are my signals. I had a motorola SB6121 and he said it was the problem so he put one of their stock modems in even though i have the same issue with it. It's not my modem that is the problem it's him being a crappy tech.
darkness1056

darkness1056 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
And on top of that i constantly lose internet connection every 5 minutes.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Hmmm...
Signal levels look ok...

Are there a lot of errors on the correctable / uncorrectable table?

Only thing that pops out is it is interesting your downstream channel is on 171MHz.... that's really close to one of the typical upstream channels. I wonder if you're getting some type of interference into your line...

When you had your 6121 hooked up - do you remember if you had multiple down streams? Not too familiar with Zito
darkness1056
Arlington, KY

darkness1056

Click for full size
This was what was on the Logs, Tech came out yesterday and said there was no problem, then i showed him the ping test and showed him i was losing packets and he just said it was fine and left. It's really upsetting me that they arent fixing it.
darkness1056

darkness1056

bump

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

If you don't have it already - download the free version of Ping Plotter (or What Route if you have a Mac).

Run some traces - and post the pictures. I wouldn't always rely on the line test here on DSLR. Ping Plotter will show much more info.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to darkness1056

MVM

to darkness1056
What would concern me in that log is the line "Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow". Each time it resets it has to aquire the downstream, upstream and register on the network. This takes some time and during this time you are having packet loss / connectivity issues.

I found a long thread with the same issue on a Cox forum but no real solution. Some people went with a Cisco modem and that worked. Some people had firmware updates and some Cox area's made changes on the CMTS.

I did see a lot of Motorola 6120 and 6121's on google searching of this error line. I almost think its your provider or the firmware they are running on this modem or combination of this modem and software on the CMTS. Its a DOCSIS 3 modem but with only 1 channel on system, you could try a DOCSIS 2 modem and see if that works. This was the fix for one poster on another thread.

Signals look fine. Yeah its strange having a downstream channel that low on EIA Channel 22 171 MHz, but the level looks fine. These days with all digital systems you can pretty much locate the carriers anywhere.

You are going to have to try to find some way to escalate this with the provider. That's not always easy. Sorry we can't fix it from here!
darkness1056
Arlington, KY

darkness1056

Wow i hate this 3 techs out and they don't do a single thing when they are here. This issue is getting worse and worse, sometimes i don't even have internet! It's getting terrible.
darkness1056

darkness1056

And sometimes i get an error on my computer when the internet disconnects saying the DNS server isnt responding then 5 minutes later my internet will come back on.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Yeah because if the modem is continually rebooting, its not passing traffic, DNS traffic or anything.

Can you request a different brand modem, like a Cisco?

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow to darkness1056

to darkness1056
Get it on video thats the best way to get anything done about it.

not tryna be mean but i normally dont believe a customer either until i see avideo
darkness1056
Arlington, KY

darkness1056

The techs seen the packet loss and even seen the modem reset like 4 times. I'm not lying.
darkness1056

darkness1056 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Well I did a ping test to google and here are the results, it's getting worse and worse.

Also got a picture of the error i get when trying to troubleshoot problems with my network.
darkness1056

darkness1056

Click for full size
Here is a video of a ping test i did (

www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be
) and a picture of the end results. I'm not lying about these problems, the techs at Zito Media come out and refuse to check anything. All they do is come out and change modems, when that is NOT the issue. I had one tech go up the pole in his truck to check it and said my signals were fine, so there HAS to be an issue somewhere.

bumper
@67.63.86.x

bumper

Anon

bump

Chazwick
@144.160.98.x

Chazwick to darkness1056

Anon

to darkness1056
Unfortunately Zito Media Cable is like this. My friend in Cameron Tx had the same issue, till i had him do a trace route. Apparently the issued was at the Back Haul Provider they used. As soon as it left the network (3rd or 4th Hop) his ping hit the 1000 MS mark. After getting a supervisor and engineering on the phone call and a few threats to an Attorney Zito opened a ticket with the Back Haul provider Who i believe was windstream and was addressed with in 3 business Days. No issues since then. You might need to go that path!

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

I asked him to do a trace a week ago!

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream to darkness1056

MVM

to darkness1056
Yeah we have yet to see a trace route. While I think that modem log about it resetting is the issue (firmware or CMTS issue)... A trace would be real helpful.
darkness1056
Arlington, KY

darkness1056

Click for full size
Here is a tracert to google through the cmd prompt. I don't know another way to do it.

Bumper
@67.63.86.x

Bumper

Anon

Bump

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

While the trace you gave helps - go here:

»www.pingplotter.com/free ··· are.html

Download this program (it's free) - and then post a picture of what it shows after pinging a given site for say, 30 minutes - or you can even let it go overnight.
darkness1056
Arlington, KY

darkness1056

Click for full size
This is what the results were after 30 minutes. Maybe this can give you guys an idea of whats wrong with my internet.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Alright - thanks for doing this.

Ok - from looking at this - you're getting to your local headend just fine (Hop 2) and even the next Zito router after that. Once that moves on over to the Time Warner (RoadRunner) backbone, you have your initial packet loss - which then carries all the way to your final hop (#15).

This is the key thing - you actually see it at the final destination.

My summary: So, the tech's were semi-right. There's nothing wrong in your immediate house or neighborhood. It's all upstream. This is going to require Zito to work with their engineers to pinpoint where (and how) the loss is originating. Best bet would be to send them this picture - and hopefully they'll care enough to research.
darkness1056
Arlington, KY

darkness1056

How might i be able to email their engineers? I can't find contact email.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Google a Zito corporate contact perhaps - or, sweet-talk your local folks and ask if they could pass this up the chain.

anon1056
@67.63.86.x

anon1056

Anon

I put a complaint into the BBB and they have contacted Zito for me. Hopefully i can get this issue solved once and for all.
darkness1056
Arlington, KY

darkness1056

The BBB send the message to Zito and they came out and looked at my lines ONCE again and the internet is even worse then before! What the crap?