All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Tlamming
join:2001-08-21
Howell, MI

Tlamming

why does charter provision their upload speed so low?

I'm moving from a comcast house with 100/20 to charter for 60/5 so its a bit of a downgrade, especially for the price. Is their infrastructure just not as good as Comcast's?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

They are always behind. I know Comcast gets a whole lot of crap. But, I do give them credit for always improving their network often speed wise. And it is 60/4 for Charter. They do have another tier not advertised. Ultra 100/5 but its pricey.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to Tlamming

Premium Member

to Tlamming
Any further speed updates/changes aren't likely to occur until Spectrum is complete. But there is another active topic here pertaining to upload changes.

I haven't seen any official word on the speeds for the upgraded Ultra tier.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to Tlamming

to Tlamming
I don't think Charter is behind. I believe they are building out their network first and then raising speeds. Too many companies greenlight higher speeds and can provision everyone at the new speeds only to find most users bogged down in congestion when the rest of the system can't handle it.

My Charter connection very rarely gives anything but full rated speeds. I have the 80/5 business plan and relatively few sites can max out the full downstream bandwidth.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight to Tlamming

Premium Member

to Tlamming
Charter used to offer 60Mbps/5Mbps a few years ago but I believe that their network at the time couldn't handle the load and so they dropped that tier entirely. Yes Charter is lacking compared to other companies, but I think that they have improved greatly in being able to provide provisioned speeds even during peak times. So while they may not have been increasing speeds greatly they have been improving their infrastructure as a whole. Their previous bankruptcy isn't helping either but they are a much better company than they were 5-6 years ago.

samthegam
join:2011-12-10
Monterey Park, CA

samthegam

Ultra subscribers with 60/5 were upgraded to 100/5

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

You are right, however Charter doesn't advertise Ultra100 so many people don't even know it exists. I believe Charter will be making some big improvements starting with the all-digital upgrade and further improvements during next year. I'd really like to see them be on par with what Comcast offers, but not be like Comcast.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
And yet Netflix rates Charter ahead of Comcast.