uniqs
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

UPS making odd sounds

I have an old Belkin F6C900-UNV 900VA/540W UPS.

I replaced the batteries in it last fall (bought them at upsforless.com) and used it for about 4 months on the new batteries, backing up a router at a remote location. 'Round about February I brought the UPS back to my home and left it off and disconnected in a closet in my study - where it's been since.

A couple of days ago I started to hear some faint clicks & buzzes from my closet, and to my surprise they were coming from the UPS!!! Decidedly odd behaviour for a UPS that's been unused/unplugged for 7 months.

I took it outside and plugged it in to an outlet there (in case it was doing to explode) and charged it up. The wiring fault light illuminated (this is a known good wired outlet - GB tester and other UPS'es confirm this), and the UPS still made odd sounds every once in a while (no regular periodicity to it).

Any guesses as to what's going on with this UPS?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

1 word, BELKIN

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Unplugged it was, but the battery still is connected to some circuitry inside. Some component likely failed and is triggering some kind of relay.

A piece of advice... remove the batteries and trash the UPS. It's not worth it. Trust me I know what a catastrophic UPS failure looks like »Fried UPS, Almost caused house fire
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

That's what I was thinking.

I've pulled the batteries out.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
Every belkin UPS I've owned has failed.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

I guess their UPS should be spelled POS.

Aside from replacing their batteries a couple of years ago my APC units have been trouble-free.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Unplugged it was, but the battery still is connected to some circuitry inside. Some component likely failed and is triggering some kind of relay.

A piece of advice... remove the batteries and trash the UPS. It's not worth it. Trust me I know what a catastrophic UPS failure looks like »Fried UPS, Almost caused house fire

shit that was a mess
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

Every belkin UPS I've owned has failed.

I have 2 of these Belkin units, and they've operated just fine since 2005. That's a pretty decent run.

I also have some really old (mid 1990's) APC SmartUPS units I need to re-battery.