All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ange
join:2013-08-26

Ange

Wifi Problems on one laptop

Ok i have the tivo service with the moca dpc3827 and at first my wifi would go up and down from 10 to 40 on a 75mbs connection, the tech said it was my laptops wifi card going bad so i just let it go till last week my speed dropped to 2 mpbs. First i bought a belkin usb adapter and no change and the tech told me that i needed to get a better on so i did i got a netgear n600 and still no change in speed. I formatted and installed windows 8.1 and downloaded all my drivers and now i get 8 mpbs and this is no matter what location im in. If i connect with a wire i get 75mpbs but wifi i get 8.25 give or take and 3.10 upload.
I also connected my netgear n600 router the modem that runs our phones and the same my speed doesn't change and i dont understand 2 usb adapters and my on board wifi are that bad or is it windows 8.1? Should i go back to windows 7 or is their a fix that i dont know about. They tech that came to the house had no idea and said he couldn't help cause their end was great.
ABBJason
join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

Re: Wifi Problems on one laptop

Do you have other wireless devices in your household? If so, what connection speeds do they get over wifi?
Ange

Ange

My wifes gateway laptop wifi about 40 ft away gets 60mbs, ps4 gets 23 mbs wifi right next to it and the ps3 about 15 ft away gets 14 mbs.
I formatted my laptop again and put windows 7 on it cause i thought maybe that would work and it did last night and this morning but now its back to doing low download speed and high upload.
I have toshiba satalite l875d-s7232 laptop and the wifi adapter is wnda3100.

Ange

Ange

Something really odd if im connected to my netgear router with the laptops on board wifi and the wifi adapter is connected to the mocas wifi i get better speed but as soon as i disconnect one its back to crap and ive tried all combinations. I hope that mades sense cause it doesn't to me.
Ange

Ange

Screw it im just going to go buy a 50 ft Ethernet cable tomorrow. It doesn't make sense that the ps3 wifi is fine back here but my laptop and the 2 wifi adapters i have used get bad speeds, i could see some kind of interference causing the problem but i figure it would affect the other wireless devices in the house. I could see my laptops on board wifi being bad but i get the same speeds with both wifi adapters so my last thought is maybe something is going bad on my laptop that is effect on the signal. I still think the moca dpc3827 is a poor choice but it does the job wired.

If anyone comes up with an idea im all ears.
ABBJason
join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

If you have multiple devices, and others get the speed you should, then it is something specific to that PC. If you have replaced the wireless adapter with USB one and have the same problem, then it is something else like motherboard/processor/ram, or it is a software issue with Windows, firewall, virus, anti-virus software, etc.

FYI the ps3 speedtest is never correct in my experience. I have a ps3. I can run a speed test on my laptop sitting beside my ps3, to speedtest.net get 30mb. I run it on our site, get 30mb. Run the ps3 test, shows 7mb. Speedtest.net uses the same back end equipment as our speedtest, both run off of Ookala and seem to be accurate.
Ange

Ange

Yeah definitely the motherboard or something im missing cause now even wired im getting 3 mbs.