Dr Wizard
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium Member
join:2002-12-23
Plain Dealing, LA

Dr Wizard

Premium Member

GTA V coming to the PC this fall

According to an article in the current MaximumPC magazine, GTA V will be available for the PC this fall. From the article:

..Rockstar assures PC gamers that this won't be a sloppy port (GTA IV). The developer is promising a ton of new features, the biggest of which pertains to the massive graphical overhaul. Expect increased draw distances, finer texture details, denser traffic, and support for higher resolutions. In addition, Rockstar plans on bolstering the multiplayer component of the game, which was a big disappointment when it was released on the consoles last year. the PC version will also include exclusive features such as smarter AI and a video editor.

I never played GTA IV, so can't comment on that. I've read plenty of horror stories about it though (bowling). I've heard very positive things about V though, and I look forward to the PC port later this year. I can only hope my current Win7 rig is capable to play it hardware-wise.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Rockstar has spent a fortune on GTA V (actual number: 266 millions on development and marketing, which puts it in SWTOR-land) and has one of the largest studio staff of the business, planet-wide.

The sales revenue exceeded 1 billion dollars US within days of release. I couldn't find recent numbers, but we can all assume they're more than even-Steven right now. They're prostate deep in the green.

What are the chances this phenomenal success will translate into an equally fantastic PC port?

Less than 0.1% is the correct answer.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

Let the "Develop for Next Gen consoles on PC, release on Next gen first, then port to PC" generation of games begin. Seems like double work to me.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Exactly. It's not like they've got anything to lose by releasing a shit PC port at this point.

They made their billion dollars in revenue already.

That's why I'm not pre-ordering this until I hear how the game is running for everyone else. I got a feeling we'll be waiting on user made mods and patches to make the game playable.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I already know I'm passing on this one. I bought it for Xbox 360 and it held my interest for all of 3 minutes. Controls are fubar'd and impossible, and I'm guessing only a thin veneer of code will run between the console game and the PC interface.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Ghastlyone

Mod

to Ghastlyone
It's going to be a buggy shitty console port. It's 2014. Do we really have to guess?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Ghastlyone

MVM

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Exactly. It's not like they've got anything to lose by releasing a shit PC port at this point.

They made their billion dollars in revenue already.

That's why I'm not pre-ordering this until I hear how the game is running for everyone else. I got a feeling we'll be waiting on user made mods and patches to make the game playable.

I agree. I really did enjoy all the other GTA games on the PC though. I don't think GTA IV was a port at all with all the additional display options they had. Still, I am going to wait to see what the reviews say first before I buy.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Dr Wizard

to Dr Wizard
We shall see.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to Dr Wizard

to Dr Wizard
Whilst I agree that Rockstar give PC gamers a raw deal I don't think you can really call any of the GTA games a bad port. 3/VC/SA were all fairly well represented and 4 was fine, other than requiring greatly inflated specs to run.

Given how badly other games were ported, the GTA ones don't suffer too badly at all.

cheesyyellow
join:2009-06-04
Poulsbo, WA

cheesyyellow

After the hot garbage that was GTA IV I'll wait and see.

Ratman_84
join:2002-01-31
Sacramento, CA

Ratman_84 to Dr Wizard

to Dr Wizard
Took too long for them to bring it to PC. Hype is dead for me. Probably won't waste my time.

YOU HEAR THAT GABE? TOOK TOO %$#&!%! LONG. NO INTEREST ANYMORE!!!!!

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Dr Wizard

Premium Member

to Dr Wizard
I hardly played this on PS3, so I'll probably pick it up once it's below $20. My biggest reason for not picking it up on PS3 were the load times, I'm assuming that PC+SSD are going make it much smoother.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

I hardly played this on PS3, so I'll probably pick it up once it's below $20. My biggest reason for not picking it up on PS3 were the load times, I'm assuming that PC+SSD are going make it much smoother.

Because you know...loading all those super high res textures takes extra specially long.

Last of Us is another game where you could go change your car oil while you wait for the game to load.

Pollux7777
join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Pollux7777 to Dr Wizard

to Dr Wizard
I'm excited about this for one reason. Oculus rift.

Someone already modded the xbox 360 version to run in first person mode, so it's almost a guarantee that someone will make a PC version with oculus support.

Driving around los santos in an oculus could be awesome.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Last of Us is another game where you could go change your car oil while you wait for the game to load.

I'm sorta happy that got ported to PS4, at least I hope. I haven't gotten a PS4 yet though, so I can still go back on that if I need to.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Dr Wizard

to Dr Wizard
Was just reading a PC Gamer article that was saying the new iCEnhancer mod for GTA4 makes it look better than GTA5.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Raible:

Was just reading a PC Gamer article that was saying the new iCEnhancer mod for GTA4 makes it look better than GTA5.

I would hope so, because what I've seen of GTAV on Xbox 360 and PS3 looks like complete dogshit.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Dr Wizard

Premium Member

to Dr Wizard
Heck I'd be happy if I could run GTA III on Win8.