Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

Time Machine

Greetings

I have an IMAC with an external USB Fireproof 3 TB drive setup as a Time Machine.

I just ordered a MBA. Will it be able to use this time machine drive when connected to my network?? (will it detect a shared resource)

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

As far as I know, a USB TM drive is only local to that Mac. If you need a networked TM, you need a Time Capsule or a NAS.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

if I plugged my Time Machine drive into something like this - do you think both my MAC's would see it as the time machine drive??

»www.amazon.com/Addonics- ··· ords=nas

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by dellsweig:

if I plugged my Time Machine drive into something like this - do you think both my MAC's would see it as the time machine drive??

»www.amazon.com/Addonics- ··· ords=nas

Unless that little device specifically supports Time Machine, it will not work.

If you are willing to upgrade to an Airport Extreme router, you can plug your hard drive to it and it will appear as a networked Time Machine.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

Can an Airport Express be used as a bridge - plugged into the same subnet as my home network - and still have it recognize the drive as a time machine?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by dellsweig:

Can an Airport Express be used as a bridge - plugged into the same subnet as my home network - and still have it recognize the drive as a time machine?

I don't think the Express has that capability. Only the Extreme.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by HiVolt:

said by dellsweig:

I don't think the Express has that

capability. Only the Extreme.

Well - my home network is where I want it - I really don't want to replace my router and $300 for an extreme is crazy

Do I have any options here to make a network based time machine using my existing fire/waterproof time machine usb drive??

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Check if your router can support 3rd party firmware that may have a time machine network option on a USB attached hard drive.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

I was planning on simply using the Ethernet based USB adapter plugged into my router but apparently there are apple specific protocols for time machine - my router is a buffalo running ddwrt- I assume the same issue would apply - ddwrt has no specific knowledge of Apple protocol

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
Not sure if this is what you mean:

»pondini.org/TM/22.html
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

If you are willing to upgrade to an Airport Extreme router, you can plug your hard drive to it and it will appear as a networked Time Machine.

Airport Routers will not allow USB disks to act as Time Machine drives. Time Capsules, on the other hand, do support additional drives via the USB port. (oh, apple...)

OS X Server includes Time Machine Server support, which would allow the drive to be seen by the MBA when plugged into the iMac.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to dellsweig

MVM,

to dellsweig
You shouldn't need any extra equipment:

»apple.stackexchange.com/ ··· 68#41168

When you get to the part about activating File Sharing on your iMac, make sure you set it to share via AFP only. Don't activate SMB/Samba/Windows sharing.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to Daemon

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

said by HiVolt:

Airport Routers will not allow USB disks to act as Time Machine drives. Time Capsules, on the other hand, do support additional drives via the USB port. (oh, apple...)

OS X Server includes Time Machine Server support, which would allow the drive to be seen by the MBA when plugged into the iMac.

This is not completely accurate. The Airport Extreme 802.11ac is supported by apple to use an external drive for time machine backups. It is also possible to backup to external drives connected to the older extremes but it is not supported. Because you have to make sure that the drive is mounted prior to the backup.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

said by kitsune:

This is not completely accurate. The Airport Extreme 802.11ac is supported by apple to use an external drive for time machine backups. It is also possible to backup to external drives connected to the older extremes but it is not supported. Because you have to make sure that the drive is mounted prior to the backup.

Hmm, nice! I went looking to see if the capacity was supported on our 802.11ac router, and only found older documentation saying it wasn't supported.

See »support.apple.com/kb/HT2038 for example, which, despite being updated only a year ago, contains apparently wrong information.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to Thinkdiff

MVM

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

You shouldn't need any extra equipment:

»apple.stackexchange.com/ ··· 68#41168

When you get to the part about activating File Sharing on your iMac, make sure you set it to share via AFP only. Don't activate SMB/Samba/Windows sharing.

WORKED PERFECTLY

Thanks!!!!
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to Daemon

to Daemon
It is in the manual of the .11ac »manuals.info.apple.com/M ··· etup.pdf see page 9.

Apparently marketing hasn't gotten around to updating the page you linked to. Time to send feedback...
kitsune

kitsune to dellsweig

to dellsweig
FYI, this is not a supported config so if you have problems be forewarned. Also, if it was me I would add the target drive to either your login items or if you know how set it up to mount at boot. This will help prevent issues.