Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lokatana

join:2011-04-06
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Cable pricing? I'm surprised....

I've been on Rogers for a long time and am thinking about moving to TekSavvy when my contract expires in a couple months. So i'm doing some price comparisons, and to my surprise, TekSavvy is *more* expensive than Rogers? WTH?

For 150Mbit down, 15 up, TekSavvy is $90/month (300Gig Cap), and Rogers is $86/month (350Gig Cap).

Since when did TekSavvy charge *more* than Rogers, with worse caps? Rogers pricing hasn't gotten better, but it used to be that you could get the same offering from TekSavvy for 30-40% less (at least, when i checked a year ago).

Is there any valid reason to make the switch anymore? Am i missing something?

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
»[Cable] New 150/15 Pricing Questions

this thread is talking about the same stuff as yours. i do agree though 300gb cap for 150mbps package is quite low 400-500gb would be better imo

PlatooN

join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Lokatana
you're not missing anything, the CRTC kind of screwed indy ISP's with the CBB rates, and as speeds go up TSI's costs skyrocket.

That said there are a few things to consider with the "caps"

Rogers charges for every GB all the time.

TSI a) Doesn't count upload and B) doesn't count usage from 2am to 8am. Which is a window large enough to do hundreds of GB a night not counted against the cap.

personally I don't think saving 4$ is worth dealing with rogers, but you might. To each their own.

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
reply to Lokatana
well keep in mind with rogers you'd get a modem/router in one if you don't already have one you'd save 100$+ that way and you would get direct support. pricing is kind of a mess though i agree

Amou

join:2011-01-29
Guelph, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Lokatana
350gb at 150 is a bit redundant. With Teksavvy you can at least utilize the full potential with unlimited bandwidth at 2-8 am or even with ZTC and they don't count upload.

In my opinion still be a waste to get it with Rogers. With that kind of speed you'll run out of bandwidth really quickly.

chipface

join:2011-07-13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Lokatana
At this point if I were switching from Rogers I'd go with Start. Their 150/15 package is also 90 bucks but they provide 400GB. They also have free transfers if you already have cable internet. And you don't need to buy the modem if you don't want to, you can rent. Same unlimited window between 2 and 8 AM and uploads don't count either. No "zap the cap" though.

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to PlatooN
said by PlatooN:

personally I don't think saving 4$ is worth dealing with rogers, but you might. To each their own.

Well said Platoon! ...all the big telcos for that matter.

jibby

join:2008-03-31
reply to Lokatana
ur not including the quarterly price increases on Rogers :P

chipface

join:2011-07-13
reply to Lokatana
...and the fact that uploads count towards usage too.

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to simsin0
said by simsin0:

said by PlatooN:

Well said Platoon! ...all the big telcos for that matter.

If you call into Roger's technical support, you don't have to deal with the "ticket" run around. i.e. we can't submit this ticket because Roger's blah blah blah. Issues can be fixed much more quickly (especially when you need a tech visit)

That and also the revolving door of approved modems.