Premium Member
join:2014-06-15

Vitality9

Premium Member

TWC Tech Came out

OLD SIGNAL LEVELS
Click for full size
NEW SIGNAL LEVELS
A TWC tech came out and added a "equalizer" but he said he was going to put it onto the TV's line right before the TV box connects to the coax, right between that coax and the Samsung box, he hasn't came back inside the home but I saw him outside my house working on the lines outside the house, the lines outside the house connect to the side of the house to a 2-way splitter, that line then goes into the patch panel in my home, he put a 3-way splitter but I didn't need it so when he left I put a 2-way splitter back instead. My new levels seem a bit weird and I've been told closer to 0 was the best level, please tell me if the levels are better or worse.

He also said something about Channel 2 for my TV being too high and he was going to put the equalizer so all the channels could be the same.

Thanks in advance.
aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis

So you fancy you're a cable tech? So confident of what you've done you have to post here? How many years have you been servicing cable? What was the old signal level on channel 2? Analog or digital? What did he originally come to do?

Let me lay down the law here. Chances are what you've done is illegal and what he did was right. Your signal on the internet before AND after are both perfectly acceptable. His/her job is to ensure your services are functioning correctly and from what you've posted it appears they are in spec. Have a nice day

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by aereolis:

Let me lay down the law here. Chances are what you've done is illegal and what he did was right.

Lol wut? Are you serious? There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing a 3-way to a 2-way. In fact, if the tech didn't terminate the unused port then the 2-way is much better. Everything after the drop from the pole is customer owned and they can do whatever they want to it (though they'll probably get billed for it if they screw it up and need a tech to come out and fix it).

While there are some great cable techs, there are others who have no clue what they're doing. Since you're in Canada you have no idea what dealing with TWC and CC is like. With the signals posted above this whole "equalizer" thing sounds fishy to me. Don't rip into someone who's just trying to make sure they weren't screwed over and making sure they won't have problems in the future.

/M
mackey

mackey to Vitality9

Premium Member

to Vitality9
Why was the tech called out in the first place?

The old signal looked better, but the new one is still pretty good and I wouldn't mess with it any more unless you're having problems. As long as it's a quality splitter, the 2-way is better then the 3-way with an unused port. The "equalizer" bit sounds somewhat fishy to me; I have no idea what he actually added.

/M
Vitality9
Premium Member

Vitality9

Premium Member

He said he'd put it at the coax that connects to the TV from my wall. He never came back but he did return to the pole outside my home and worked on it and then my power levels dropped. He said the equalizer would make "channel 2" lower so my samsung TV box wouldn't have anymore pixel problems, the pixel problem still exists and my modem power level dropped. I'm just confused and wanted to make sure I'm not getting screwed up by this tech. He put a 3-way for no reason that I now of so I put back the old TWC issued 2-way in my patch panel I used to have. I can supply pictures of how my coax system in my house works. It's a 2010 home so everything is modern. The wires are underground in my neighborhood and there's a 1-2 feet tall green box thing in front of my home he bent over to work on.
Vitality9

Vitality9 to aereolis

Premium Member

to aereolis
I worked on my home patch panel, nothing illegal about that at all. I own my home, paid off in full. I owe my bank nothing, and nobody except me owns my home. I can do whatever I want on and in my patch panel. TWC doesn't own my home, patch panel, or coax in my home.
Vitality9

Vitality9 to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
Mackey, I called TWC from pixelation problems on my Samsung top box. He ended up saying I needed an equalizer for the TV. He said I needed to make room so he could put the equalizer behind the TV, between the wall coax plug to the samsung box but he never came back, he left then returned and worked on the tiny pole box in my front yard that gives my home coax. I can supply pictures if you want.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to Vitality9

to Vitality9
Click for full size
Well.. it looks like they cleanup up the uncorrectable errors, and the SNR is a little better.

I have good signal, but I always see the uncorrectable errors (only occurs at initialization).
Expand your moderator at work
System

to Vitality9

Anon

to Vitality9

(topic move) TWC Tech Came out

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 7 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »TWC Tech Came out

to Vitality9

Anon

to Vitality9
Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 5 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »TWC Tech Came out

to Vitality9

Anon

to Vitality9

Re: TWC Tech Came out

Friendly warning

Recent particpants in this topic are warned to be aware of site and forum posting rules. Warning cause: 'Off topic' (posts)
whistlinduck
join:2004-09-28

whistlinduck to Vitality9

to Vitality9
Signal levels close to 0.0 power level are nearly always considered better.

But the 'new' levels are certainly well within spec - so unless you're having internet issues, I'd forget that and focus on the pixelating problem with the TV.

You might also think about posting here in the Direct Forum.
»/forum ··· erdirect where you can talk directly (and in complete privacy) with TWC techs.
kballtek
join:2013-09-06

kballtek to Vitality9

to Vitality9
I believe what the tech meant to say is that he would lower ch. 2 by adding an in line EQ which only attuates the lower frequency. Overall your signal is good but might have issues with BER POST, that's the reason why you have uncorrectables, might be as simple as a lose connector.
Vitality9
Premium Member

Vitality9

Premium Member

My uncorrectables are VERY LOW now after whatever he did. I haven't even had more than 60. only 3 channels on my modem have 40~ uncorrectables. Are you saying he added the EQ and then fixed a lose connector that fixed my UC's?
Vitality9

Vitality9 to kballtek

Premium Member

to kballtek
Also, my SNR seems higher. Is that good?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

1 edit

DocDrew to Vitality9

Premium Member

to Vitality9
said by Vitality :

Are you saying he added the EQ and then fixed a lose connector that fixed my UC's?

More then likely yes
kballtek
join:2013-09-06

kballtek to Vitality9

to Vitality9
If your SNR is higher than 32, that's a good thing
Vitality9
Premium Member

Vitality9 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew