spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AdelphiaOwnz
join:2003-04-28
Mason, OH

AdelphiaOwnz

Router is restricting my dl speed!

I have a SBG6580 modem and a DIR-615 router. The modem is set to bridge mode with wireless disabled, and everything runs through the router.

I noticed a speed drop yesterday, so I bypassed the router and quickly re-ran the test with just the cable modem. Speeds are normal when using just the cable modem, and I'm pinging 32 to Chicago Server central on speedtest.net. As soon as I hook up the router, speeds drop to 110 ping and 10 mbps. Doesn't matter if it's being tested on a direct connection or wireless, going through the router results in slower speeds. So I factory reset the router, and speeds are back to normal for about an hour. Then they drop back down. I did another factory reset of the router, changed the wireless signal to n, and the WPA password, and speeds were back to normal, then slowly got worse as time passed.

My router is on the latest firmware and settings are pretty much factory except the wireless WPA password and signal set to n.

Is my router starting to go out on me? Are there any logs I can pull to see what is going on with my signal? I have TWC.

I was on the phone yesterday with TWC and we factory reset the cable modem also, and speeds were going good with it all hooked up but now they are not.

Note that these tests between router and not using a router are done within 30 sec of each other, multiple times so there is definitely a problem. Also it's been confirmed on more than just one PC hooked up to the network.

Any idea what's causing the issue? Why does doing a factory rest of the router work for awhile at good speed, then by the next day it's back to being slow again. Remove router, and back to fast speeds.
Vitality9
Premium Member
join:2014-06-15

Vitality9

Premium Member

Load DD-WRT onto it and it should be able to handle Ultimate 50 just fine.
AdelphiaOwnz
join:2003-04-28
Mason, OH

AdelphiaOwnz

Huh? It's not just wireless that is effected. On a WIRED connection through the router, the speed drops.

I'm getting 100% signal, so how would hacked firmware that boosts wireless signal help?
AdelphiaOwnz

AdelphiaOwnz

Note that I typically get 20mbps both wired and wireless. With the PC hardwired directly to the cable modem it's fine. Introduce the router, speeds drop sigfinicantly, with 300 pings sometimes. I figure for $25 and 2 day shipping time, I can get another DIR-615 and see if that's the problem. Could be the settings on the cable modem though.

Between disabling DHCP, NAPT mode wireless mode and, enabling bridge mode and Rg passthrough, who knows with all those settings wtf is going on lol.

mannibis
@96.246.254.x

mannibis to AdelphiaOwnz

Anon

to AdelphiaOwnz
Check if you have QoS enabled, or traffic manager that limits bandwidth for certain devices or applications. I had QoS turned on on my old Linksys router, and even though I set it for unlimited, it was causing my speed dropped dramatically. On the 300 tier, I was only pulling down ~ 225 Mbit/s (for wired and wireless clients). I turned of QoS and started getting the full 322 Mbit/s down.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Most home routers don't have the CPU power to handle higher speed connections like the MAXX upgrades with QoS. It's best to make sure any QoS or "Game booster" mode on the routers are turned off. The DIR-615 I think has one of these.
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

omghi2u to AdelphiaOwnz

to AdelphiaOwnz
Factory reset, retry. If same result, get a new router.

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state

anon_5224 to AdelphiaOwnz

to AdelphiaOwnz
one thing i've had decent success with is hard-coding the WAN port to 100Mbps instead of the default 'Auto-Negotiate' most routers have theirs set to. See how that goes.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to AdelphiaOwnz

to AdelphiaOwnz
Routers CAN be your bottleneck. I have an ANCIENT netgear FVS318 V1 from when I was using DSL and not cable - it worked fine for DSL, but maxes out at about 12 MBPS when on cable. My primary router now is a Netgear WNR3500L samknows and it works great .
James_C
join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY

James_C to Smith6612

to Smith6612
... but most home routers of 11g or 11n vintage do have plenty of processing power to handle 20Mbps with QoS enabled, unless there is a performance robbing firmware bug specific to that model... which makes me wonder, whether that's true or it's just prone to early failure, why on earth the OP would consider buying another of the same model.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by James_C:

... but most home routers of 11g or 11n vintage do have plenty of processing power to handle 20Mbps with QoS enabled, unless there is a performance robbing firmware bug specific to that model... which makes me wonder, whether that's true or it's just prone to early failure, why on earth the OP would consider buying another of the same model.

Perhaps... if you are in the same room. If you are on wireless, and 2 rooms down the hall in your house, your speed may be greatly reduced.
James_C
join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY

1 edit

James_C

OP stated it happened wired as well as wireless... and I am more than 2 rooms away from my router and it isn't bottlenecking wifi with QoS on, can get 20Mb over 11g let alone 11n.

Anyway that's a separate issue. If wifi signal is low that can cause 10Mb, but the QoS overhead is practically nothing compared to the bottleneck from a poor wifi signal. In fact you would notice a QoS bottleneck change in speed MORE over wire than wireless because wired wouldn't have the poor wifi signal issue dropping the speed.

mannibis
@72.226.19.x

1 recommendation

mannibis

Anon

I had the Linksys EA6900 AC router and the QoS bottlenecked my 300 download to about 250ish. Turned of QoS and all was good, tho no IPv6...Linksys is a terrible product nowadays.

I've switched to the Asus RT68U (the direct competitor to the EA6900) and it's amazing...Native IPv6 works and though I haven't tested out QoS yet, I'm sure it can handle 300 Mbps. So many more options and the ability to load custom firmware. Wifi link speed is 867 Mbps with 5 Ghz AC, and my speedtests have no issue maxing out on WiFi. Asus puts out a good router

TWC_User
join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
(Software) pfSense
Humax BGW320-500
TP-Link EAP610

1 recommendation

TWC_User

said by mannibis :

I had the Linksys EA6900 AC router and the QoS bottlenecked my 300 download to about 250ish. Turned of QoS and all was good, tho no IPv6...Linksys is a terrible product nowadays.

I've switched to the Asus RT68U (the direct competitor to the EA6900) and it's amazing...Native IPv6 works and though I haven't tested out QoS yet, I'm sure it can handle 300 Mbps. So many more options and the ability to load custom firmware. Wifi link speed is 867 Mbps with 5 Ghz AC, and my speedtests have no issue maxing out on WiFi. Asus puts out a good router

How are your speeds on your wifi (wireless n and ac devices)? I might be upgrading to a wireless ac router to prepare for the TWC Maxx upgrades. Do you mind sharing some of your experiences?

mannibis
@96.246.254.x

mannibis

Anon

The speeds are subperb. iPhones are wireless N and top out at 150 Mbps and my Macbook Air is AC and tops out at 867 Mbps. These are link speeds and theoretical, so you're likely never going to get those speeds over wifi. I SpeedTested my iPhone and it seems to max out at 95 down and 21 up. (It's great that the internet speed can now be faster than your Wireless speed because you can technically measure the throughput this way). The Laptop on the other hand is connected at 867 Mbps (2 spatial streams at 433.33 ea) and easily hits the 322 Mbps download I get (so no way to measure throughput that way, but with file transfer tests it seems to be in the 640 Mbps range--or 80 MB/s). My laptop is only sitting 15 ft away from the router though, and with 5 Ghz, the coverage is obviously not an issue. The simultaneous dual-band is good though because you have both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz SSIDs and 2.4 Ghz is better with range, whereas the 5 Ghz band is better with speed. I notice even when I walk across the street, I am still on wifi with 2 bars). I recommend the RT-68U for AC, even if you don't have any AC devices, or you may want to wait on the RT-87U (beast of a machine) which is coming out soon. Though I feel like that model is a bit overkill (and very pricey). Future-proofing is a good thing as more and more AC capable devices are coming out. Go with an AC router, as it can do N, AC, both and has a pretty powerful dual-core processor.