spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ekephart
join:2010-08-10
Dallas, TX

ekephart

Gigapower Dallas

I heard from a tech today that FTTP is getting rolled out *right now* in some of the wealthier areas of Dallas (for those familiar HP and UP). He also said that some parts of Garland and Richardson may see it very soon as well.

While this is awesome, I wonder what it means for the broader area for Gigapower targeted cities with respect to this 17a profile and vectoring...
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016

ATT has been putting people on FTTP for a while now. I'm in The Tulsa, OK area and my new house in the cheapest neighborhood in town is on FTTP. If its a newer area they put fiber in. This doesn't give you gigapower speeds though. I'm still limited to 24mb even thought the fiber can do much more.
ekephart
Dallas, TX

ekephart

I believe the tech in context meant that premises meant the premises where the customers live. That's the only thing that makes sense if 300mbps and 1gpbs will be online this summer for these 2 enclaves.
benk016
Owasso, OK

benk016

Yes That is what FTTP is. In my house fiber is ran to the box on the side of my house. From there it is a cat5e line to the RG. As of right now the only benefit of FTTP vs VDSL is that I can have all 4 HD streams going and still get 30mb internet speeds on my 24mb connection.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

1 edit

rolande to ekephart

MVM,

to ekephart
said by ekephart:

(for those familiar HP and UP)

Is anyone surprised by that? Those with the gold make the rules.

So, I have yet to see details on a clear definition of what components Gigapower is actually built with. Obviously it is FTTP. I'm wondering if it is a net new infrastructure build (remote cabinet with optical splitters) that is fed back to the CO to a new head end or is it GPON with an optical splitter that is patched to the existing VRADs already in the field? Or is it WDM-PON? How many customers can/will share a splitter i.e. what is the split ratio... 1:32 or 1:24 or lower...? Are the channels on a splitter encrypted so only the specific customer can decrypt on the ONT and see their channel's traffic? What is the raw (profile) bandwidth both down and up being shared by customers on the same splitter from the head end (VRAD or CO)? Is it typical GPON with 2.4 Gig down and 1.2 Gig up or is it 10G-PON with 10Gig down and 2.5Gig up?
said by ekephart:

While this is awesome, I wonder what it means for the broader area for Gigapower targeted cities with respect to this 17a profile and vectoring...

It likely means nothing. 17a profiles and vectoring will show up when it shows up. It runs on pretty much all of the existing VRAD technology. It is just a matter of having the right cards in a VRAD chassis. It will likely roll out regionally in phases like they did with the Power Tier last year. The rumors I've heard are targeting late this year to Q1 next year for targeted field testing and rollouts but I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe this time next year we'll see widespread availability show up and the PR machine will go into overdrive.
ekephart
Dallas, TX

ekephart

That makes sense. It's exciting for those of us in the possible path of this that 150, 300, or even 1000 mbps connections may be available even a year or 2 from now. In Austin I understand the profiles go up to 300 mbps and are *supposed* to be symmetric.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by ekephart:

In Austin I understand the profiles go up to 300 mbps and are *supposed* to be symmetric.

Symmetric? Really? I'm curious how they accomplish that on GPON with a typical subscriber ratio. The upstream on GPON is 1.2 Gig and it uses TDM to prevent data collision at the splitter. That means that each subscribed customer has a fixed max ceiling of upstream bandwidth that is some equal fraction of 1Gig based on the number of customers sharing the same splitter. I'm not sure how they would attain 300 Meg upstream, unless they were only assigning 4 customers to a splitter. Hence why I'm curious what Layer 1 technology they are using for the fiber transmission and what the split ratio is.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to ekephart

Premium Member

to ekephart
said by ekephart:

That makes sense. It's exciting for those of us in the possible path of this that 150, 300, or even 1000 mbps connections may be available even a year or 2 from now. In Austin I understand the profiles go up to 300 mbps and are *supposed* to be symmetric.

Well now I have no idea what AT&T is doing with gigapower, in the first market it's 300mbs both ways and now in Dallas it's 100mbs down and we aren't even sure if it is 100/100 or 100/?.

I would have thought that deployments from now on would be like a gigbit like the name gigapower suggest.

In any case it is good that some will be getting upgraded though.
DMS1
join:2005-04-06
Plano, TX

DMS1 to rolande

to rolande
said by rolande:

Symmetric? Really? I'm curious how they accomplish that on GPON with a typical subscriber ratio. The upstream on GPON is 1.2 Gig and it uses TDM to prevent data collision at the splitter. That means that each subscribed customer has a fixed max ceiling of upstream bandwidth that is some equal fraction of 1Gig based on the number of customers sharing the same splitter. I'm not sure how they would attain 300 Meg upstream, unless they were only assigning 4 customers to a splitter. Hence why I'm curious what Layer 1 technology they are using for the fiber transmission and what the split ratio is.

I would guess that is what they are doing. Presumably they ran enough spare fiber from the OLT to the splitters that they can just add OLT ports and reduce the number of users on each port. This change can be made as needed, so when someone upgrades to Gigapower they just repatch the local drop onto a splitter restricted to no more than four users.
ekephart
Dallas, TX

ekephart

Here's a DMN article that came out just 2 days after the tech for my Power Tier install basically said the same:

»www.dallasnews.com/busin ··· vice.ece
Mcmurdy1980
join:2012-10-22
Newhall, CA

1 recommendation

Mcmurdy1980 to ekephart

to ekephart
Just go with google.
ekephart
Dallas, TX

ekephart

If it was available in Dallas, I would in a heartbeat.

Anyone at Google lurking... hear that? I bet you've got at least a million people in DFW who would do the same.
i2Fuzzy
join:2009-02-25
Garland, TX

i2Fuzzy to ekephart

to ekephart
I'm hoping for it here in far north Fort Worth. I've got FTTP, but just the normal junky speeds. AT&T is the only ISP available to me unless I want to go with wireless (I don't).

PapaDoc
@38.96.210.x

1 recommendation

PapaDoc to rolande

Anon

to rolande
It is very much symmetric, as will be the 1gbps tier

jtpterp
join:2012-05-10

jtpterp

So jealous.
benk016
Owasso, OK

benk016

With the cities that they've been announcing lately I'm hoping they just announce all cities with FTTP installations.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to PapaDoc

MVM,

to PapaDoc
said by PapaDoc :

It is very much symmetric, as will be the 1gbps tier

That is a beautiful sight to see. I'm still curious which transport technology they are using on the fiber. They could not provide symmetric on the upload like that on GPON, due to the TDM requirement and only 1.2Gig of bandwidth to share, unless they are keeping the split ratio per PON down to 4:1. If they go to 1 Gig symmetric, then they have to be using another technology like 10G-PON or WDM-PON or EPON or something like that.

PapaDoc
@144.160.98.x

PapaDoc

Anon

Pretty sure it is 10G-PON.