uniqs

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

3 edits

WhaleOilBee

IPTV Cost Comparison Spreadsheet

I made this spreadsheet a while ago to attempt a cost comparison between the two major independent IPTV providers in Ontario, VMedia and Zazeen. There are different options for add-on packages with both, and I needed a way to test the effect of adding or removing packages.

If you've used Excel before, it's not that complicated to navigate. Column A & B is the long and short name of the channel. Columns C through S are the Zazeen basic and specialty packages. Columns U and V show channels which are exclusive to either provider. Columns W through BW are VMedia's packages. Horizontal and vertical headings are scroll locked. There are hidden columns that are just for helping to do calculations. The check boxes show what channels are included in each package. In the VMedia a-la-carte columns BQ, BS, BU, BW, you can put an X for the channels you choose.

In the row 211 is the count of channels in each column (package), row 212 is the price of that package. By placing an X in row 213 under a column selects that package, and the final tally for each provider is shown in columns C and W on row 214. I have 'X' ed only the Zazeen Basic, and VMedia Premium Basic packages. Check any other packages you want, and the tally on row 214 will change.

Once you have the IPTV cost, you might also want to create some additional cells below row 217 to add in the recurring monthly price of the respective internet tier, monthly equipment rental, and STB fees if applicable. Don't forget long term contract and referral discounts (and taxes) too .

You might also want to include the one-time costs for installation and equipment purchase. You'll get these from each provider's web pages.

I believe it's accurate, but can't 100% guarantee it. If anyone spots anything that's not correct, please post it here. There may be new channels coming to either provider, so that might need some additional rows and check-marks.

Finally, I also viewed this with (free) Open Office and a (free) spreadsheet viewer for iPad. It worked O.K., but the checkmarks were replaced with another character.

Enjoy.

Fergless
Premium Member
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

I think you forgot Zazeen has a referral program, didn't see it

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

Good point, thanks. I recommend that the user adds additional cells at the bottom to include such amounts. There are so many permutations of internet tiers, yearly discounts, and such, the spreadsheet would become overwhelming.

Fergless
Premium Member
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

LOL. To be honest it's already overwhelming, to me anyway

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

I can't follow it... It's too complicated to deal with "at a glance"...

Could we somehow simplify it?

Z

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

1 edit

WhaleOilBee

I guess I'm used to these things from work where they're a whole lot more complicated. Graphs too! Sorry.

I think if you look across row 213, you'll see that by placing a X ( or any character) under a column, then hit [Enter], the total $ and number of channels will show the new cost of including that package.

'At a glance' is by scrolling down to make row 211 to 214 visible. For example, putting an X in row 213 column E will select the Zazeen "Bell Addon". The total at row 214 column C will increase by $9.95 and the number of channels in row 214 column E will increase by 14. You can either scroll up to row 2 to see in column E what 14 channels are included in this package, or just open the provider's web page, and see what channels that package includes.

The only strangeness is the a-la-carte selection in VMedia where you can pick any, 6, or 12. There you must put Xs in the (non-greyed box) beside the channel you're selecting, and also select the whole package with an X in row 213.

Maybe if Zazeen and VMedia were on different tabs, it would look less cluttered. But then it would be harder to horizontally scroll to see where each station appears in a package. I though the highlight colour would help.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to WhaleOilBee

to WhaleOilBee
fwiw I'm with zazeen and really happy, I'd recommend everyone STAY (on both sip's) away from wifi and buy one of those power line adapters. I got one from ncix for like $30 and works great
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

I would like to echo that with Vmedia too... I live in a very congested wifi apt building and had major issues... Powerline fixed everything.

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

My only experience with powerline was those old X10 modules to control lighting and appliances; they were less than 100% reliable.

I'm sure they've improved the technology since then, but I would still recommend running an Ethernet cable... even if you have to follow the baseboard around the walls of an apartment.