Search similar:

uniqs

pducharme
Premium Member
join:2010-06-29
Sherbrooke, QC

pducharme

Premium Member

IPTV - Will Teksavvy offer Zazeen TV or Vmedia by a partnership?

Hi, I Just want to know if Teksavvy plan on offering IPTV soon (thru a partnership with an existing solution). I know Zazeen and Vmedia, maybe there is other IPTV providers too.

dallas2
@47.55.123.x

dallas2

Anon

Start will very soon cant wait to get it they have voip coming 1st of aug

g121
play lordsgame com | Phone Cops are real
join:2004-05-28
Toronto
Hitron CODA-4680
Asus RT-AC86
Grandstream HT812

g121 to pducharme

to pducharme
said by pducharme:

Hi, I Just want to know if Teksavvy plan on offering IPTV soon ..

+1 +1 +1 .. i'm so interested in IPTV if it allows me to get a more reasonable price than the dreaded Rogers TV bundles afford .. but i've held back as i really want to stay with Teksavvy as my ISP ..
Rand2k1
join:2003-12-09
Canada

Rand2k1 to pducharme

to pducharme
I'd be very interested as well, provided I can get a decent and relatively easy to use PVR (not everyone using it is that um... teksavvy) for a reasonable price.
coolspot18
join:2012-10-23

coolspot18 to pducharme

to pducharme
I hope Teksavvy will consider TV as well - I'm on the verge of cancelling my DSL connection and moving that over to an IPTV provider.

I still have a cable connection which I will keep with Teksavvy for now.

TSI John
Premium Member
join:2014-03-14
Chatham, ON

TSI John to pducharme

Premium Member

to pducharme
Hello, There are no plans presently for TekSavvy to offer IPTV.

John
Online Services Account Manager
coolspot18

coolspot18

said by TSI John:

Hello, There are no plans presently for TekSavvy to offer IPTV.

Very disappointing ... Bundling TV seems to make sense and helps keeps customer sticky - especially since the TV boxes are proprietary no?

TSI John
Premium Member
join:2014-03-14
Chatham, ON

TSI John

Premium Member

Yup, there are quite a few people asking about it lately.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to pducharme

to pducharme
IPTV can also cause a lot of issues though and unnecessary truck rolls for teksavvy under the current TPIA/GAS dsl agreements. First off, Bell is never going to install some one else's IPTV service, that leaves TSI hiring another contractor again to get things hooked up, or leaving the installs up to the customer themselves (which is an awful idea, I'll get to that in a minute). With Bell, we have enough unnecessary truck rolls for our own IPTV service, which is professionally installed (most of the time, there are some lazy scum bags here though, I'll admit) and service calls come out for tv's on the wrong inputs, complaints feeds cut out (when it is an issue with one channel and obviously an issue with that channel), complaints service doesn't work when it is really there tv that is broken, or god forbid they unplugged the HDMI and power supplies because they thought it was wireless. We get the same complaints when we do a wholesale installation and the customers expect us to hookup the vmedia or zazeen or whatever IPTV service they've ordered. this is all unnecessary and billed accordingly, however TSI already has to jump through hoops over the phone to get us or the cableco out for internet repairs. The list of stupidity is endless with TV that they'd have to go through.

So I understand the reasons for not incorporating it into their business plans, yet anyways.
Lantase
join:2008-08-16
Chatham, ON
Hitron Coda-45
Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Lantase to pducharme

to pducharme
The other problem TSI would run into is that a partnership with an existing IPTV provider probably wouldn't be too cost effective either since they would probably require those customers to sign up with unlimited usage plans so they don't have customers complaining that the IPTV is eating all of their "usage allowance". (which would probably deter people)

Not to mention the extra cost of the interconnections to the IPTV provider and all the extra CBB costs.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to btech805

to btech805
Why would you need to hire another contractor to hook up a STB? The STB should be easy enough for the customer to hook up.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

2 edits

JC_

Premium Member

said by ITGeeks:

Why would you need to hire another contractor to hook up a STB? The STB should be easy enough for the customer to hook up.

Keyword in your comment is "should".

As btech805 said, the amount of people that assume Fibe TV is 100% wireless is astounding; people who think no HDMI cable, power to the STB is required or that there TV has wireless so they don't need an STB.
coolspot18

coolspot18 to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

IPTV can also cause a lot of issues though and unnecessary truck rolls for teksavvy under the current TPIA/GAS dsl agreements.

Yes, but it looks like the market is moving this way - vMedia, Zazeen, Mustang, and now Start.ca? Soon all the large providers except Teksavvy will have TV; seems to be a gap in the portfolio.
reiyu
join:2014-01-08
North York, ON

reiyu to pducharme

to pducharme
IPTV would only be great if the line was reserved. Like Bell's IPTV, even if you were watching, your internet connection will NOT slow down, as the IPTV connection is in a separate PPPoE session.

So far from what I heard from my friend who's with VMedia and has TV, his net slows down when he watches TV.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to pducharme

MVM

to pducharme
That's not hard to do, the problem is that Bell uses higher profiles for their IPTV customers that are not available to wholesalers.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to reiyu

to reiyu
bell does slow down if your lines are shit btw, usually though if they can handle it you'll get 10-20megs about your paid speed just for iptv
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to JC_

to JC_
That itself is an issue on educating on the consumer. But if TK chooses not to working someone or deploy their own IPTV services it does look like they will be left in the dust.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
Here it's because AT&T did ads like this!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· hosE9mwo

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to reiyu

Premium Member

to reiyu
said by reiyu:

IPTV would only be great if the line was reserved. Like Bell's IPTV, even if you were watching, your internet connection will NOT slow down, as the IPTV connection is in a separate PPPoE session.

The speed of the internet has nothing to do with using a separate PPPoE session, used only on Stingers, it's DHCP on on the 7330's. What Bell does is over profile to port, so if you order 25/10 + Fibe TV your port is profiled for 48/11 and than the internet portion is speed limited to 25Mbps.

Azmodan012
join:2013-05-10
Chatham, ON

Azmodan012

Asking for address validation for an ISP is also very important.

From very much personal experience, you would be surprised how many people move and do not call in to say there at a new address or tell the tech that they have moved.

They plug their equipment in their new address and if they have signal from the last tenant they assume all is fine. Then once the incumbent goes and disconnects the line X amount of time later, the service drops and people call in. If the address is no verified the tech is dispatched to the incorrect location.
redeye95
join:2014-01-22
Mississauga, ON

redeye95 to JC_

to JC_
said by JC_:

said by ITGeeks:

Keyword in your comment is "should".

As btech805 said, the amount of people that assume Fibe TV is 100% wireless is astounding; people who think no HDMI cable, power to the STB is required or that there TV has wireless so they don't need an STB.

my dad went to get another satellite terminal for the farm/cottage... and guess what the sales 'person" somehow convinced him to get FibeTV because it is wireless and said that it will work in MOUNT FOREST... even though the house (fibetv install is in mississauga!)
wow!... way to go Salesperson. and also added bell internet. and disconnected the satellite.

of course i caught it... mainly because i did not want my teksavvy internet cut-off. so i had to cancel it. was somewhat of a pain.

BTW, if one has bell satellite why can't i get a fibeTV terminal and watch the on-demand stuff. (i understand all of technical stuff as to why it could/would not happen)... but would be cool if it was possible...

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by redeye95:

my dad went to get another satellite terminal for the farm/cottage... and guess what the sales 'person" somehow convinced him to get FibeTV because it is wireless and said that it will work in MOUNT FOREST... even though the house (fibetv install is in mississauga!)

That order shouldn't have even been able to go through as there is no Fibe TV available there and it wouldn't have even qualified for it and depending on where it's located there probably isn't even Bell internet there.
jacketfeng
join:2008-12-21
Toronto, ON

jacketfeng to pducharme

to pducharme
we need IPTV
come one teksavvy. lets do it
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur to JC_

to JC_
said by JC_:

That order shouldn't have even been able to go through as there is no Fibe TV available there and it wouldn't have even qualified for it and depending on where it's located there probably isn't even Bell internet there.

I think the point is that the sales person said the wireless tv which was located in Mississauga would be able to work in Mount Forest.

Not that the install would be in the Mount Forest.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by balur:

said by JC_:

I think the point is that the sales person said the wireless tv which was located in Mississauga would be able to work in Mount Forest.

Not that the install would be in the Mount Forest.

Looking at it that way makes more sense, although that's funny if that's what he thought.

pducharme
Premium Member
Sherbrooke, QC

pducharme

Premium Member

In my opinion, all IISP should create a unique IPTV Solution they would all share, with Interconnect to each-other. They could have same backbone, but offer different Prices, bundle, channel lineup. This way, it would be a lot easier to negociate with content owners. Also, they could save by buying STB in bigger quantities. There are some IPTV middleware (like the one zazeen use : Minerva Network - ITVFusion) that can make that possible.

I think this way, all IISP would have a LOT more % of the TV market.

The issue with the bandwidth not unlimited could be easily bybass by not counting the IPTV traffic (by filtering IP address of iptv servers) against the monthly cap.

Also, all IISP could calculate the bandwidth required for running that IPTV and all, togeter, negociate a better deal for just IPTV traffic with CRTC and CBB/UBB...
pducharme

pducharme to coolspot18

Premium Member

to coolspot18
said by coolspot18:

said by btech805:

IPTV can also cause a lot of issues though and unnecessary truck rolls for teksavvy under the current TPIA/GAS dsl agreements.

Yes, but it looks like the market is moving this way - vMedia, Zazeen, Mustang, and now Start.ca? Soon all the large providers except Teksavvy will have TV; seems to be a gap in the portfolio.

BTW, Mustang IPTV = Zazeen. You can see in the channel lineup, they have Zazeen Info channel
coolspot18

coolspot18 to reiyu

to reiyu
said by reiyu:

So far from what I heard from my friend who's with VMedia and has TV, his net slows down when he watches TV.

Yes, but so does Netflix and YouTube ... Bandwidth is bandwidth?
reiyu
join:2014-01-08
North York, ON

reiyu

said by coolspot18:

said by reiyu:

Yes, but so does Netflix and YouTube ... Bandwidth is bandwidth?

not with bell, since the iptv is reserved.

pducharme
Premium Member
Sherbrooke, QC

pducharme

Premium Member

True. With Bell, they put you a higher profile on the VDSL or FTTH line than your Internet (ie: 75Mbps Down). The extra is only for IPTV, so you don't see a decrease in your internet speed when using TV because of that.