spc
Search similar:

uniqs

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

1 edit

captnhook

Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2977218)

Just received a notification for Important Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2977218)

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2977218

Issue fixed by this update:
A Silverlight application that uses tab-switched controls exhibits a memory leak when you switch between tabs or pages in the application.

Microsoft Silverlight is a cross-browser, multi-environment plug-in that delivers the next generation of Microsoft .NET-based media experiences and rich interactive applications for the web. This update offers a new build (version 5.1.30514.0) that is an upgrade to earlier versions of Silverlight. This update is included in current Silverlight installers. If your computer does not have Silverlight installed, the installer will be offered to you by Microsoft Update or by Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). This update is released on July 23, 2014.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

As usual Microsoft makes it hard to find/download the full installers. For those that want them

Silverlight x64 5.1.30514

Silverlight x86 5.1.30514

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

GuruGuy to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
I'm not understanding the reason it wasn't released on a "Patch Tuesday"

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

I believe that it was. It was for me.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by jaykaykay:

I believe that it was. It was for me.

It was released today, July 23rd. Today is not patch Tuesday.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

There are both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) updates. Today's was the 32-bit. The 64-bit came out last week. At least it was that way for me (I checked).

BTW if you check the digital signature timestamps on both of the updates is May 14th 2014.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

Thanks

Ruskie
@151.24.186.x

Ruskie to captnhook

Anon

to captnhook
It fails on my Windows 8 (error code 656)
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
This doesn't make sense. That KB says this update is ALREADY INSIDE the current installers which should mean the version I have as I only installed Silverlight about three weeks ago. So why is the download 6.6MB? I guess it is the full installer? It wasn't hard to find. I just went to Silverlight site. I figured it would see I already have it installed and just need the update activated but that didn't happen.

This is contradictory:

"This update is also available from Microsoft Update. If you have an earlier version of Silverlight installed, this update will be offered as "Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2977218)." If a computer does not have Silverlight installed, this update will be offered as "Microsoft Silverlight (KB2977218)."

Why is the update the same whether you have Silverlight installed or not? The KB number should be different if already installed and a smaller size.

I didn't know when I installed Silverlight a few weeks ago that there was a 64bit version so I installed the 32 bit. Should I have installed the 64bit one instead or both or what?

What is "Microsoft Update"? It's not Microsoft Download Center. If I click on that to get the update, I get told to open Windows Update on my computer. That's also nutty. If the link is to Windows Update on your own computer then why call it "Microsoft Update"?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

It wasn't hard to find. I just went to Silverlight site.

It is if you already have Silverlight installed and up-to-date. If you do the Silverlight page doesn't show a download link. It just shows you the currently installed version--at least that is the case in Firefox. You have to use a machine with an out-of-date version or no version at all to get the download links I posted.
said by Mele20:

So why is the download 6.6MB?

The 32-bit installer is 6.62MB. The 64-bit installer is 12.4MB.
said by Mele20:

Should I have installed the 64bit one instead or both or what?

That's a good question. I've always assumed that it is like Java--that is you need the version(s) to match your browser(s) so I've always downloaded both.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

It installed on XP and also on Win 7 Pro 64-bit, using Windows Update. Did not try the Silverlight site.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
It was offered at the top of month - why you're seeing it now, I could only guess.
If you run Silverlight which is essentially Microsoft's version of Flash - accept the update to keep the software current and patched.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

As usual Microsoft makes it hard to find/download the full installers. For those that want them

Silverlight x64 5.1.30514

Silverlight x86 5.1.30514

Do you have the links for the Mac OS X full installers?
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

85160670 (banned)

NOT ..... sure, is this LINK U R asking 4 ¿ ¿ [ »www.macupdate.com/app/ma ··· verlight ]
Ooops ..... this one the latest release [ »www.filehippo.com/downlo ··· erlight/ ]
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I use Pale Mooon 64bit now. When I installed Silverlight a few weeks ago I was using both Fx and Pale Moon (which was new to me then). I only used Silverlight to watch TWC tv because TWC doesn't have an agreement with ABC to show new episodes (directly at ABC website) until 8 days after the release of the episode. So, I have to use TWC-TV which uses Silverlight. I don't remember but probably I watched the ABC show on Fx. Now I want to watch on Pale Moon so I guess I better install the 64 bit version also.

The Silverlight website did not tell me to wait while it determined what version I have installed but immediately gave me a download link when I went there on Pale Moon 64bit. So, I thought I better go to Silverlight site on Fx since I have the 32bit version installed. That was interesting as on Fx (24.7 ESR) I was told to wait while the site determined what version of Silverlight I have. That took forever! It never told me what version I have but finally gave a download link which you have nicely explained means I have an outdated version. I don't see why the Silverlight site can't simply say "your version is outdated. Please use this link to get the current version".

On Fx, I see that the site says to FIRST UNINSTALL THE VERSION I HAVE! Gee, I would thought the new version would install on top of the current one or just ADD to the current version whatever is new.

For further confusion, going to Silverlight on Pale Moon 64 bit, there is NO mention of needing to first uninstall the version of Silverlight I have. I guess that is because the 32bit version won't work on Pale Moon 64 bit? So, Silverlight site on Pale Moon does not detect an installed Silverlight? Hmmm....I think I better mosey over to Pale Moon forum and see what is said about Silverlight there before I do anything.

My IE 10 is both 32bit and 64bit. I haven't used Silverlight on it but I guess I need both 32bit and 64bit like with Java as you said. Well, shit, I just went to Silverlight site using IE 10 and it says "Get Silverlight 5". I already have Silverlight 5 32bit so this means IE 10 wants me to download Silverlight 64bit? Or is Silverlight DIFFERENT for IE as opposed to other browsers? So, I need an IE version and an other browsers' version like with Java? But with Java I have to be really careful to get the 64bit one for Windows 8 64 bit...this IE Silverlight website says nothing about 32bit or 64bit Silverlight.

The IE Silverlight website doesn't tell me to first uninstall Silverlight before installing the current version. That means IE Silverlight is not the same as Silverlight I downloaded several weeks ago using Fx? I HATE UNNECESSARY CONVOLUTED CRAP like this. I'm really angry at TWC now because their refusal to make a deal with ABC like all other major ISPs have already done is the only reason I need Silverlight! I wouldn't have this headache except for my ISP being backwards and stubborn.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Or is Silverlight DIFFERENT for IE as opposed to other browsers?

I don't think so. I checked Firefox 31.0 and it says the Silverlight plug-in is at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\5.1.30514.0\npctrl.dll

IE11 (32-bit) says the same. IE11 64-bit says

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\5.1.30514.0\npctrl.dll

Personally I'd just manually download/run the 32 and 64-bit installers I linked to and check the plug-in/add-in area of your browsers to see if they're present.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I used IE 10 to install the 64bit version from your link. Now IE Addons says I have both 32bit and 64bit Silverlight active.

Also, IE will NOT play a test Silverlight video in Full Screen. Why?
»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us ··· ff728576

If the above isn't strange enough, it gets REALLY WEIRD on Fx and Pale Moon. According to Pale Moon, I do NOT have Silverlight plugin installed. That makes sense since I installed the 32 bit version back in June using 32 bit Fx but my Pale Moon is 64 bit. So, I need the 64bit for it BUT here's where it gets weird. The above link plays in Pale Moon and plays full screen. That link is to a Silverlight video so how is it playing in Pale Moon where there is no Silverlight plugin?

That video also plays in Fx 24.7 ESR where I have a plugin installed for Silverlight. But I just checked Fx plugins and Silverlight is DISABLED! (I don't remember disabling it but obviously I did). How is that Silverlight video playing?

I checked Mozilla link to see if my plugins are up to date. On Fx I am told that I have the latest Silverlight. So, installing 64bit Silverlight on IE 10 ALSO updated 32 bit Silverlight on Fx.

Then I checked the Mozilla link for plugin status on Pale Moon and there is no Silverlight shown. I bet Pale Moon 64bit can't do Silverlight and I'll have to use Fx or also install 32bit Pale Moon. But how is that MSDN video playing on Pale Moon with no Silverlight?
Mele20

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Click for full size
I didn't realize I needed to reboot after installing the 64 bit version of Silverlight from IE 10. I only realized when I couldn't close any open windows from the x in the upper right corner of the window but had to close from the taskbar. After I rebooted, then Silverlight appeared in the Pale Moon plugins list. It was defaulted to "always play". It also showed up on Mozilla's check plugins page after I rebooted and restarted Pale Moon. Obviously, it was working before I rebooted and it showed up in plugins list and because it was defaulted to "always play" (which I change to ask) it was playing the video at msdn but causing a couple of problems since I didn't reboot right away (I had Breadcrumbkiller throw a bunch of error popups right after I installed Silverlight 64bit from IE).

So, evidently, if Silverlight 32 bit is installed from ANY browser then ALL browsers have it and that includes ActiveX IE as well as gecko browsers. I suppose it must be active in Opera 12.17 also. I'll have to check. The same is true for the 64 bit version if it is installed on one 64bit browser then it installs on any other 64 bit one even if one is ActiveX and the other is not.

Even more interesting is that if Silverlight is updated version wise on one browser that updates it on all browsers and on both 32bit and 64bit versions.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 recommendation

therube to StuartMW

to StuartMW
The x64 version includes & installs both x64 & x86 silverlight.
(The same as an x64 version of IE does. It's a two in one deal . You would need the 64-bit dll's for a 64-bit browser & the 32-bit dll's for a 32-bit browser.)

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by therube:

The x64 version includes & installs both x64 & x86 silverlight.

Good to know. In my case I still need to download both versions as I have both machine types.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 edit

rcdailey

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure that on the Win 7 Pro systems, I have only 64-bit versions of IE. The XP systems said "Update for Microsoft Silverlight"
when the update was offered. I did not see it offered on patch Tuesday, and I manually checked all systems that day and did the updates, including "important" updates. Neither XP system is 64-bit, but all Win 7 Pro systems are 64-bit. I realize that does not mean that 32-bit versions of Silverlight could not have been installed.

Added: I just checked one Win 7 system and only one instance of Silverlight is installed.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
said by 85160670:

NOT ..... sure, is this LINK U R asking 4 ¿ ¿ [ »www.macupdate.com/app/ma ··· verlight ]
Ooops ..... this one the latest release [ »www.filehippo.com/downlo ··· erlight/ ]

I meant directly from MS.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to rcdailey

to rcdailey
See if you don't have files like; coreclr.dll, core.dll, & sliverlightconfiguration.exe in both /Program Files/ & /Program Files (x86)/ (with one being x86 & the other x64).
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

There is only one entry in Control Panel/Programs and Features for Silverlight. It does not indicate if it is 32bit , 64 bit or both versions. But in C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) there are entries for Silverlight. Plus, when I installed the 64bit version it updated the 32 bit version. I suppose that if I were to uninstall Silverlight in Programs and Features that BOTH versions would be uninstalled.
Expand your moderator at work