uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA
reply to AppleGuy

Re: [OS X] Yosemite -- Public Beta Release tomorrow (July 24/2014)

Well that's a bummer; it would not download no matter how many times I tried.
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to AppleGuy
how does it run on your mid-2011 mba?
i'm anxious to try it -- but i only have the air free. my mbpr is my work driver.

q.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Cody
Was there anything in your applications folder!
said by Cody:

Well that's a bummer; it would not download no matter how many times I tried.

Was there anything in your applications folder?

Meaning was there an OS X 10.10 installer?

lupus

join:2001-08-01
Bellevue, WA
reply to AppleGuy
Running it off an external HD on my mid 2007 24 in iMac. Runs well, I'm quite surprised. Sadly though, I will not be able to test any Continuity features due to the version of Bluetooth on this Mac not being compatible.

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA
reply to Octavean
I'll check tomorrow after work!
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to AppleGuy
I downloaded and installed the beta with no problem last night.

I chose to create a 40GB partition on my MBA and install it there. Instructions for those who want to try it this way.

So far I'm liking the new look.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to lupus
said by lupus:

Running it off an external HD on my mid 2007 24 in iMac. Runs well, I'm quite surprised. Sadly though, I will not be able to test any Continuity features due to the version of Bluetooth on this Mac not being compatible.

I'm surprised. I would have thought all of the new graphics and UI would have slowed it down dramatically.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Can anyone comment on how easy is it to turn off the translucency and blurs? I absolutely cant stand that crap in iOS on the iPhone/iPad i can't fathom how fugly its gonna look on a big screen.
--

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to AppleGuy
Installed last night without any hiccups. I'm one who loves the new look (I'm not hard to please, though) and it's so far not slowing down my machine (2012 iMac -- don't ask me which one). I haven't really had a chance to explore the new features, but am looking forward to doing so.

I see that it enables the iTunes 12 beta, which advertises the Family Sharing. Does anyone know if that actually works, or is it an American only feature, for now, and therefore not showing up in my Canadian options?

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
reply to AppleGuy
Wow. They've managed to raise the bar on candyassed UI once more.
--
--

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to AppleGuy
Anyone running this as their primary OS yet? Im thinking of taking the plunge, as I dont want to be tethered to my external every time.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by The Dv8or:

Anyone running this as their primary OS yet? Im thinking of taking the plunge, as I dont want to be tethered to my external every time.

I tried, but way to many crashes. It is beta after all.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
I'm not a heavy user and have everything backed up anyways, so I've got it as primary. So far so good. I'm not experiencing crashes, but I'm also not pushing it particularly hard.

thehudd

join:2006-11-06
Nixa, MO
reply to The Dv8or
--Only OS running on my 2012 iMac. Have found no problems at all yet, but I don't really do anything critical on this machine.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:

I haven't experienced any crashes at all. It does run a bit slowly, though, probably because it's unoptimized and all of the debug symbols are loaded.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
reply to The Dv8or
Meh, I am running as primary on my machine, not perfect. Obviously many software updates (like CrossOver for Mac) will need to be done. But it's not bad.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow
reply to AppleGuy
Just to be careful in buying a new puter, even the refreshed newer MacBook Pros with retina released late-July 2014 and onward are still OS Mavericks, yes?
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
They wouldn't put a beta release on a new computer. Yosemite will be a free update in the fall for all Macs that can run it.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to AppleGuy
Mac Mail gives me plenty of crashes. Opening Mail also causes the window to freeze for a few seconds before it loads the actual email. Other than that the rest of the OS seems pretty stable.

Some cosmetic changes like in Dark mode you have the WiFi list barely readable is another issue. However I do use Yosemite as my primary OS for work. I assume most of the real changes are with what has been presented with iOS integration which I am unwilling to try.

dfc888
Premium
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA
reply to AppleGuy
Anyone tried this on a 3rd party SSD in an iMac? Does SSD Fan Control work?

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
I am running the developer beta (5) on my SSD based IMAC with no issues at all with fan control or any other function.

I am running the public beta on my MBA and have seen no issues at all as well - note that there is no fan in the MBA

--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by dellsweig:

I am running the developer beta (5) on my SSD based IMAC with no issues at all with fan control or any other function.

I am running the public beta on my MBA and have seen no issues at all as well - note that there is no fan in the MBA

There's a fan in the MBA. Apple has not made a fanless notebook yet.

Although there are rumors of one coming.
--

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
said by HiVolt:

There's a fan in the MBA.

i was just getting ready to comment that the mba in question obviously hasn't been pushed very hard if the harrier jet taking off in your lap hasn't been heard yet.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to AppleGuy
latest developer seed removed the iconic apple sound chip thing on volume change

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
That's the sound from Bug's Life when one of the bugs flies in....

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AppleGuy
I got it installed on a USB drive today - it's pretty laggy though. Much more so than I expected. I may have to clear off some of the SSD and partition to see what it's like at normal speed. It had the normal volume change sound, though!
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to HiVolt
I got the 13 inch i5 version (8 gigs ram, 256 ssd)
I am running it what I would consider hard - Multiple apps open from Office to Itumes as well as VMware fusion running with multiple VM's.
I have not felt ANY heat nor has the fan kicked in.
The laptop is in use 8+ hours a day non stop

A tribute to a well designed piece of hardware

--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to AppleGuy
I can only recall hearing the fan on my 2013 MBA once. Otherwise it runs cool and silent.

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AppleGuy
I had the 2013 i5 4gb/128 MBA and the fan popped on for me when I was in the Philippines in the sun videoconferencing. Other than that I barely recall knowing it was there Even with my '14 MBPr I rarely if ever hear the fan. I love how quiet these buggers are!
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

latest developer seed removed the iconic apple sound chip thing on volume change

There's a System Preference: Sound > Sound effects > Play feedback when volume is changed (defaults to off). It makes a different sound now, though.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0