Search similar:

uniqs
astomp82
join:2014-01-06
USA

1 edit

astomp82

[Wireless] Linksys AE3000 Issues

I recently bought a Linksys AE3000 wireless adapter to upgrade my older desktop's wireless capabilities. It is a Dell Dimension E520 running Windows XP Media Center 2005. For the first 24 hours or so, everything was fine, but after that, two issues popped up.

The first issue is that the wireless speed would slow to a crawl (10 Mbps when my full speed is 50 Mbps) every once in a while, and the only cure was to unplug the adapter from the USB port, and plug it back in. I've tried multiple USB ports, and this issue ends up surfacing eventually on all of them.

The second issue is that the computer now blue screens about once a day. I uninstalled the adapter to see if the blue screens continued, and they did not. Once I reinstalled it, the blue screens were back.

I've done internet searches about both of these issues and haven't been able to find much. I know some of the first answers to this are "upgrade your OS" or "that computer is really old, buy a new one" but this computer serves me fine for what I use it for, so if I can I'd like to keep it as is.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am not opposed to putting a copy of Vista or Windows 7 on it if it helps make the issues go away.

Thanks in advance!

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx

Premium Member

Sounds more like the adapter is the issue to me, you're saying that you unplug it and all works fine (no Wifi obviously) but the computer works, plug it in and you're blue screening and having slow connections? Defective adapter, take it back or buy a new one.