Search similar:

uniqs

mannibis
@96.246.254.x

mannibis

Anon

Multiple T3 timeouts Daily causing Internet to drop (NYC) w/ DG1670a

Modem/Tier: Arris DG1670a -- 300/20

The past few weeks, my modem has been rebooting at least once a day, logging multiple T3s and some T4s...daily. Within this time period, I also noticed my downstream power levels hovering around 3-4 dBvM, where it used to be around 0 dBmV. The downstream shouldn't be causing any of these issues though. From the research I've done, T3's are causing upstream noise or cabling issues. What else can be the problem? There was a recent firmware updated (June 11th, 2014), but I'm not sure if firmware can be creating signal problems...

This is wreaking havoc because I depend on remote access to my home services and I need to reboot my router every time to re-gain internet access (local access still works). Obviously, this is impossible to do when you're not at home and you can't remotely access anything. I ended up creating a linux shell script to ping my gateway every 5 minutes on my local linux box, and if the ping fails it launches a reboot script (with terminal command to reboot router). This is just a bandaid fix until the real problem is solved and fixed.

If anyone is interesting in this (auto-reboot router after internet loss) script, let me know. I set it up in crontab.

Either way, a tech was scheduled to visit tomorrow, but I got a call from TWC this morning saying they did something on their end and to re-check my connection (kinda hard since it happens randomly and my signal levels look fine). I'm suspecting a spike in my upstream power level that is causing this, but I haven't captured any screenshot to prove this. Hopefully this issue goes away. I should not have to reboot my router every day (manually or automatically).
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z

I'm having the same problems on a 6141 where I'm at and the signals allways look good. Did some research and am going to pick up a Zoom 5341j today and give it a try.

mannibis
@96.246.254.x

mannibis

Anon

I saw that blog post that recommended the zoom 5341j modem, but since I'm on the 300/20 tier, i'm stuck with using the rented DG1670a which has 16x4 channel bonding in order to get my full speeds. Patiently waiting for the SB6183 to be released...
mannibis

mannibis to mannibis

Anon

to mannibis
So a tech came by and noticed that the power levels coming into my house (before the bi-directional coupler) was high. They must've increased the power levels recently because of low-speed complaints. Either way, these high power levels were causing the upstream to be unstable and drop my connection at peak times every day. Funny enough, the day he came I decided to switch my modem to the -8 dB leg of the coupler rather than the Out (in hopes that it would do something), and the levels dropped, and I haven't experienced a single reboot.

When I explained to him what I did, he told me that I fixed my own problem and that the techs sometimes switch the modem to the -8 dB leg if the power levels are too high. The Out leg I believe just passes the original signal through with no power loss, while the -8 dB drops the level. So if anyone is having the constant T3 timeouts and modem rebooting daily, try switching your modem to the -8 dB leg on your coupler (if you have one) and that may solve the problem.