Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow
reply to SuperNet9

Re: New Mac's, do you reinstall when you 1st get them?

Well, the idea of recovering wasted space from a solid state drive priced at roughly $1,000 per Terabyte is a noble endeavor. ~ Nothing I've read in this forum so far opposes, let alone refutes such a worthy cause. ~ Please tell us more how this works?
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Ugly:

Well, the idea of recovering wasted space from a solid state drive priced at roughly $1,000 per Terabyte is a noble endeavor. ~ Nothing I've read in this forum so far opposes, let alone refutes such a worthy cause. ~ Please tell us more how this works?

With MacOS, it's easy to remove or archive most Apple entitlement applications that you don't want/need...and your point about the SSD is valid. For example, I bought a MBPr 13" as my BYOD work machine. At that time, finances dictated I get the 128gb SSD. Since I would never use applications like GarageBand, iMovie and a few other things on this particular computer, I just moved them off to one of my large external archive/backup hard drives to free up the space. If I ever give that machine to one of my daughters when I upgrade, I can just drag them back onto the local drive.

In most cases with Mac applications, you don't have to go through a "deinstall dance" like you do with most applications in Windows. You can just delete them from the applications folder and "empty the trash"...

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow
Yup, that's one of the nice things about an Apple puter! ~ We agree.

Now with that said, the real question then becomes, can one safely store a drive- or partition-image and restore the original configuration?

I think the Apple Time Machine backup is not a true bit-for-bit full copy and instead is more like a (forgive the MSFT comparison) "Restore Point," than an image.

As a consequence, one might save the original configuration via CarbonCopyCloner, as one example. ~ Of course, there are other softwares and I am no cheerleader for any software, only the principle of true backup.
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

c_gadfly

join:2008-05-23
Toronto
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to SuperNet9
This might be on the advanced side of things, but here it goes anyway. There are cases where if you get a new Mac, you won't be able to use the installer downloaded from the App Store. The only solution to fully re-install your OS is to use OSX internet recovery. Here's details on Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
I had to use Internet Recovery a couple of times when I first got my iMac. That works very well.

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
kudos:1
reply to SuperNet9
I uninstall Garage Band when I get a Mac. That's about it. When I ordered my PC, I made sure it was from a vendor that didn't install junk.