dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil

Re: Those who work remotely : How often does your VPN go down?

I've got my own OpenVPN server on a Synology NAS device across my 75/75mbit FiOS link, and it never hiccups.

Last company I was at, the danged thing would hiccup several times daily. So I built my own this time -- small company, I get that privilege.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Koil

MVM

to Koil
said by Koil:

I would have figured someone would have sniffed out stuff like that by now....but who knows.

...if you really wanted to tunnel into it, that's why I suggested the end-to-end packet sniffer, one on the VPN
client, the other on the VPN appliance.

I agree, this is frustrating, but that's why they call it troubleshooting

Regards

fluffybunny
@69.172.160.x

fluffybunny

Anon

zyxel usg 300 at home. never goes down

SoJo
I'll Sleep when I am Dead
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Gilroy, CA

SoJo to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
We use SonicWall VPN appliance on 100 mbit fiber. We have random individuals (actually the same individuals) that complain that they get dropped from time to time either in the late evening or early morning. These users are connecting using their home MAC/PC's on mostly wireless network.

Troubleshooting wise, I've logged on as them at my house on a PC with a wired connection and a MAC on a Wireless connection and remoted into their desktop(s) at work and was never dropped. One time I actually logged in remotely using my cell phone as a hotspot doing 70 miles and hour down I-5 and it worked find (No I wasn't driving )
mj3431
join:2003-04-21
STL, MO

mj3431 to Koil

to Koil
I tunnel via a Sonicwall and on occasion the client machine will just stop receiving traffic right after connect. It happens if you connect then immediately load the link with a large stream of data, but rarely after the fact. With only a few users it isn't an issue, and we just learned to wait a few seconds before doing anything.

We had another site connected with another SW hardware device and over 2 years it never went down though.