uniqs
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

1 recommendation

cepnot4me to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

Re: Rogers cuts 100's of jobs

If you look at Guy Laurences track record at other companies he comes into troubled corporations and turns them around by starting at one place.

A manager needs to be able to do the job he is managing.
He seems to feel that a middle manager who has never answered a phone in a call center, or a field manager who has never installed a digital box, is worthless.

He prefers to have people who have started at the bottom and worked upward in the management positions. And, fewer of them. 1 manager for every 30 people? No need. 1 manager for every 45/60..

One of the first things he did as CEO was go and sit with the CSRs, he spent a day out in the field with Rogers field techs. He asked the grunt workers about the limitations and difficulties experienced.

Then he shook things up a bit. He restructured the executive levels he pulled Edward Rogers out of day to day operations and had him focus on the future of the company (More fitting for the legacy of Rogers). He revamped customer service management to answer to an executive instead of 8 middle managers that never accurately reported to the executive level how customer service was doing.

I think your only seeing the beginning.
If Guy Laurence treats Rogers like he did Vodaphone, the next few years will be a very different Rogers than we are used to. (Which we desperately needed from an employee and customer perspective.)
ings
Premium Member
join:2004-12-22
Toronto, ON

ings

Premium Member

Thank you for a very insightful and thoughtful post.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

+1

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to cepnot4me

Premium Member

to cepnot4me
said by cepnot4me:

A manager needs to be able to do the job he is managing.
He seems to feel that a middle manager who has never answered a phone in a call center, or a field manager who has never installed a digital box, is worthless.

I agree, I report to a director, who has been with the company nearly 25yrs. Using the Rogers mentality he wouldn't venture outside his office, this guy consistently gets his hands "dirty" he'll even help with a "I can't print" problem.

I love working him because despite policies and procedures he'll bend the rules just enough to get what needs to get accomplished.

He prefers to have people who have started at the bottom and worked upward in the management positions. And, fewer of them. 1 manager for every 30 people? No need. 1 manager for every 45/60..

That makes perfect sense, if you have no idea what a Netbox 3.0 does (to use an example) outside of marketing slogans, you are in the wrong job.

I think your only seeing the beginning.
If Guy Laurence treats Rogers like he did Vodaphone, the next few years will be a very different Rogers than we are used to. (Which we desperately needed from an employee and customer perspective.)

Be very interesting to see, numbers are down for the last quarter, if his "restructuring" continues, and numbers are still down, he'll be joining those execs he just turfed.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

I know the Board of directors has big expectations of Guy. The old CEO (Nadir) was more or less there just to play CEO, in my opinion, he did nothing. Which made things a bigger mess.
Guy is considered Teds successor. And I think the board and investors are pretty much giving him unrestricted "Whatever you think is best" control.

I'm optimistic. A complete rebuild is long overdue at Rogers. I hope we see policies, practices, environment and product change.

From the Contractor perspective, we make up 80% of the field techs.
We are treated VERY poorly and the expectations of us are higher than those of Rogers employees.
Our wages are an average of 29k-46k... which is why our results at your house are so poor.
As one Rogers employee once pointed out in a big town hall meeting..

"With contractors... You're getting what you pay for."

I'd like Guys restructuring fix that.. everyone would win if they did.