spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robertf390
join:2011-04-16
Nesconset, NY

robertf390

New setting - Power on Channel (VHO-5)

I noticed a new setting under system - set top box in VHO-5 - Power on Channel.

I noticed it when all three of my boxes kept turning on to Channel 501 (FIOS1 News).

I didn't set it to this channel but don't mind as I actually like what Verizon has done with this channel since they made it HD. Maybe this is Verizon's way of drawing attention to the channel since they enhanced it? I believe it can be set to whatever channel you'd like when you turn the box on -

Not sure if it was mentioned before - if so, sorry

Just an fyi -
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

Interesting feature. Though I don't see any reason to ever turn the box off to begin with.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick

Seems like a completely worthless feature. As I turn my box off once a year when I'm gone on vacation.

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts to robertf390

to robertf390
Why don't you guys shut your boxes off after every viewing session?

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy to robertf390

to robertf390
Im sure this will be disputed (cause it was the other 5x it came up) but someone ran a power test & said it saves a few $$ a year to shut it off each day.

gbro84
Premium Member
join:2007-04-17
Azusa, CA

gbro84 to charliewatts

Premium Member

to charliewatts
said by charliewatts:

I personally do not shut off my box because my TV has a timer to turn on in the morning. If my box was shut off, then the TV would turn on to the Verizon FiOS banner with no sound.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to charliewatts

to charliewatts
said by charliewatts:

I got into the habit of keeping mine on 24x7 during the early days of IMG 1.9 when the DVR would be sluggish as hell for a few minutes coming out of standby. Since then I've never changed the habit. I turn off the TV only. Even have my Harmony remote programmed to keep the DVR powered. (I do turn off the new Client boxes however.)
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson to robertf390

Premium Member

to robertf390
>>robertf390: Power on Channel.

I have a Cisco stb and can't find that setting anywhere so I suspect it may be available only on the Motorola boxes?

BSAIII
join:2007-06-16
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII to robertf390

to robertf390
I have a 7232 running 1.9.5 build 17.7 data object 37.17. VHO 3

I don't have that setting under System/Set-Top Box.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

1 edit

nascar to robertf390

to robertf390
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to robertf390

to robertf390
We turn our TV on and off many times throughout the day. To have to also turn the box on and off each time is too much of an annoyance with no benefit.

BSAIII
join:2007-06-16
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

I just got a new remote and after reading the setup instructions I saw there was an option to have the STB power button also turn of the TV. I use it now.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to robertf390

to robertf390
I think this option is more directed towards VMS users as they have to soft power-off their IP boxes in order to free up tuners.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

said by bohratom:

I think this option is more directed towards VMS users as they have to soft power-off their IP boxes in order to free up tuners.

Nope, no such option on the VMS boxes. I think those who have fios1 news in some areas do have the option on the non vms boxes though. I dont even have fios 1 news where I am.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by Myzteziz:

Nope, no such option on the VMS boxes.

Would not doubt to see this option on VMS boxes very soon...
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to charliewatts

to charliewatts
said by charliewatts:

I started doing this when I was with Comcast. Back then if the DVR turned itself on for a scheduled recording and if while it was recording you started watching something else, the box would turn itself off when the recording was finished right in the middle of whatever you were watching. I programmed my Harmony remotes that way and never changed it. For all I know the boxes don't do this any more but it's been just as easy for me to leave them on.

If you turn the box off do you get that red curtain looking startup screen? Or is that only after a reboot?

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken

That's after a re-boot, there is a bouncing Screen saver in case the TV's on/box off
dewdude
pfSense on xcp-ng Asterisk geek
join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA

dewdude to robertf390

to robertf390
Probably won't see this in VHO4 since we no longer have a FiOS1 channel.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to robertf390

to robertf390
I'm from VH05 and we have the option in the set top box menu but no channel 501. So it seems the purpose of the "Power on Channel" is not for FIOS 1 channel. Since you have FIOS 1 maybe that's the default channel when you didn't set to "Last channel".

Nikko
@96.250.77.x

Nikko to robertf390

Anon

to robertf390
said by robertf390:

I noticed a new setting under system - set top box in VHO-5 - Power on Channel.

I noticed it when all three of my boxes kept turning on to Channel 501 (FIOS1 News).

I didn't set it to this channel but don't mind as I actually like what Verizon has done with this channel since they made it HD. Maybe this is Verizon's way of drawing attention to the channel since they enhanced it? I believe it can be set to whatever channel you'd like when you turn the box on -

Not sure if it was mentioned before - if so, sorry

Just an fyi -

To change to last channel on, go to:

1) Settings

2) System

3) Set Top Box

4) Power On Channel

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Strange how none of my boxes were going to channel 501 which is what it was set at by Verizon, but I changed them all to Last Channel anyway.

LR
@96.232.131.x

LR to Nikko

Anon

to Nikko
Thanks for the tip on how to fix this. It was driving us crazy the past few days!

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

Not yet seeing this setting in Vh06. Should I, or are we awaiting an update?
sbernstein5
join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

sbernstein5 to robertf390

to robertf390
Wonder what will happen to those of us who don't get FIOS1?

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to robertf390

to robertf390
VHO7 has it.