spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bgc

join:2003-01-23
Fort Smith, AR

How can you verify emails from Cox are legit?

I got one telling me my speed was doubled. It had a phone number to call for upgrades. I called it and I got switched to some call center telling me I qualify for a WalMart gift card, yada yada yada. I hung up when they mentioned a shipping charge. It sounded like a scam but the email looks legit so I'm wondering how do you tell for sure a Cox email is really from Cox?

Thanks,
BGC

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
call your local cox and ask or go to a walk-in and ask.
the WM giftcard is a classic scam, anyone can come here, see news and craft their scam accordingly.

cox already has your info so if its legit they wont ask for personal info.
--
Despises any post with strings.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:17
reply to bgc
forward the email preferably as an attachment to abuse@cox.com. This might be a scam trying to take advantage of the fact that we are doubling our speeds.

bgc

Fort Smith, AR
I sent it to the abuse address so we'll see what happens. If it is bogus it seems strange that the Cox spam filter wouldn't trap a bogus email that is supposed to be from Cox.

bgc

Fort Smith, AR
Cox abuse says email legit.

Thanks

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
reply to bgc
If you have any other email from Cox, which you trust to be legitimate, compare the full headers of the trusted e-mail with the suspect e-mail.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to bgc
what modem do you have? if it's a D2 modem maybe the model is no longer going to be supported.

bgc

Fort Smith, AR
Yep, I know I'll have to get a new modem. Just deciding if I'm going to wait for the sb6141 to go on sale again or go get the sb6182 at the local cox office.

In the last few weeks I've seen the sb6141 for $65-70 on sale. The sb6182 would be about $98 at the local Cox store. The guy at the Cox store said they extend the warranty to 2 years, but I suppose many if not most credit cards would do the same.

The extra $30 might be worth it just to have the ability to swap a defective unit locally.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to bgc
$25 card, shipping $29.99

bgc

Fort Smith, AR
said by dvd536:

$25 card, shipping $29.99

That sound you hear is that post going over my head. Say huh?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
i guess you missed my attempt at sarcasm.
--
Despises any post with strings.

Ameth

join:2011-07-20
reply to odog
said by odog:

forward the email preferably as an attachment to abuse@cox.com. This might be a scam trying to take advantage of the fact that we are doubling our speeds.

Abuse wont read it if its an attachment, its gotta be in text. And they want the header. Phishingreport@cox.net & Spamreport@cox.net want it as an attachment, abuse@cox.net does not.

That being said if their Marketing is doing research call in and ask, If you are told no, then ask if their knowledge base shows any Marketing surveys.