All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bennuss0
join:2005-10-30

bennuss0

Hi-speed Microwave internet link

I have a factory that, due to a highway that runs alongside it and separates it from the main populace, has no reliable internet. ( I have been using clear but it stinks).
Recently Verizon put in fios right across the highway. i am going to rent an apartment there for one of my workers and install fios. I have 500 feet clear line of sight to the apartment from my factory being that the factory is higher than the highway including traffic. I have networking experience and have once before created a long distance microwave link so I know something about it Although that time I used ddwrt and some home built antennas over 1000ft, this time i want to use commercial well built products.
1)Is there a problem creating the link at an angle down?
2) I need to bring over a static ip and i would prefer to bring over the five static ips that verizon gives. The way i understand it is they bring in a static ip and they use a switch to subnet it to .248 giving you your 5 ips. How would i make the link
in short I want Fios-incoming-main-ip >>microwave link>>switch to subnet to five ips >>and then out to my lans.
If I do that setup is there any way to give internet to the apartment?
Any product recommendations ?
(I could not find a company in my area to hire that installs a link for less than the many thousands to bring fiber past the highway)
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by bennuss0:

1)Is there a problem creating the link at an angle down?

The "take it to the bank" answer is "get someone experienced / qualified to do the math and write the report that confirms
this microwave link will work.

The tl;dr answer is it should, but there's about a million variables that could screw it up -- wind/weather, antenna slightly
out of alignment, passing traffic, etc.
said by bennuss0:

...Fios-incoming-main-ip >>microwave link>>switch to subnet to five ips >>and then out to my lans...

If I do that setup is there any way to give internet to the apartment?

Here's a possibility :

FIOS
|
V
apartment w/ P2P radio link --> NAT device --> internet for apartment
^
|
V
switch w/ P2P radio link --> any hosts that need to be publicly addressed
|
NAT device
|
V
your factory LAN

said by bennuss0:

Any product recommendations ?

Others are probably more versed and experienced than me... one name I know of is Ubiquiti.

It'd also help to get a) a budget and b) who you are getting / expecting to do the installation and setup of this thing to help
narrow down your options.

My 00000010bits

Regards
bennuss0

1 edit

bennuss0

Your setup seems like it needs two radio links unless I am misunderstanding your apartment with p2p radiolink. Not understanding your vertical as opposed to horizontal arrows.
That switch will be at the factory side providing the the five ips or four if I leave one by the apartment? Which I can setup a local router for each one. I can leave one ip in the apartment to keep it on a separate from the business.
I have not found an installer in my area
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

what speed are you looking to get?
bennuss0

bennuss0

I would like to get at least 100mbs if i can get more then I will be able to give one static ip to my neighbor factory who also doesnt have internet.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to bennuss0

MVM

to bennuss0
That's just a Q&D diagram to help visualize things. If you want a fullup one, that's $125/hr for my time and Visio

Regards
LittleBill

LittleBill to bennuss0

to bennuss0
nanobridge or rockets will get you close, if you really need to go faster they make airfiber 5 and airfiber 24, but at 10 times the price

made by Ubiquiti

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Not to be the party pooper, but is hooking up a "factory" to Verizon residential service within their ToS? Is security a issue?
LittleBill

LittleBill

please explain the difference between security with business and residential accounts when providing your own router?

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by LittleBill:

please explain the difference between security with business and residential accounts when providing your own router?

No difference in security between business and residential{that I know of). I was bringing those up as separate issues. I was asking what kind of security does microwave bridge tech have? Even if its directional, your broadcasting over a major highway, and long distances.

The ToS thing I was just approaching, but leave it up to the OP to look into that. Im not on any soap box or anything.
bennuss0

1 recommendation

bennuss0 to Hard Harry7

to Hard Harry7
I was going to order business service to the apartment. I spoke with verizon about it and it was ok with them. Security is not such an issue. I have payments and financial stuff done elsewhere its really for integrating inventory tracking with another place .
bennuss0

bennuss0

What would I need if I wanted to get 200 or 300 mbs. I am relatively close and I have a clear line of site.
LittleBill

LittleBill

airfiber 5 around 2k. cheapest option i am aware of

»www.ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber5/

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to bennuss0

Premium Member

to bennuss0
said by bennuss0:

What would I need if I wanted to get 200 or 300 mbs. I am relatively close and I have a clear line of site.

»www.ligowave.com/ligoptp ··· -n-unity

»streakwave.com/Itemdesc. ··· 23-UNITY