spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Xakequri
join:2012-12-30
Midlothian, VA

2 recommendations

Xakequri

[Connectivity] Can I User My Own Modem and Wireless Router w/ X1 Service?

I'm doing my annual check of service pricing and Comcast has the best deal if I upgrade to the new X1 service. I have just spent the past year struggling with a SMCD3GNV gateway (internal web page constantly locks requiring hard reset to access, incompatible with Chromecast, and recently the wifi module reports errors and resets every 4 hours). Needless to say, I want to use my own equipment. After researching things like ipV6, Chromecast compatbility, etc. I have decided to use a Motorola SB6141 cable modem and an Asus RT-AC66R wireless router. The cable modem is DOCSIS 3.0 compatibile and includes a MOCA filter on it. The Asus router is dual band with strong signal coverage.

BTW, I don't care about the Comcast telephone service; never used it, so I decided I would go with just a plain cable modem and hook the wireless router to it. Will this setup work with X1? Is it possible to use your own equipment at all with X1?
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

1 recommendation

Bink

Yes. I have a similar setup with X1.

anaofish
@98.231.176.x

1 recommendation

anaofish to Xakequri

Anon

to Xakequri
Works fine dude...Pretty much everyone here will advise you to ditch the gateway, because they are nothing but trouble...Separate modem and router is the way to go.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy to Xakequri

Premium Member

to Xakequri
I've heard that Comcast has started allowing X1 with Double Play.

I currently have Comcast for internet and Verizon for Home Phone and DirecTV for TV.
cheeseman
join:2014-06-19
Palo Alto, CA

1 recommendation

cheeseman to Xakequri

to Xakequri
The X1 doesn't care what kind of cable modem/router you have because it has its own internal cable modem.

Any extension of "X1" beyond the name of the cable box is simply Comcast's marketing, which calls the whole triple play the "X1 Entertainment Operating System".

Be advised that if you are signing up for a triple play, you must have an eMTA on the account. Most markets let you own one, but there are some exceptions. Otherwise you have to rent one. You can't have a voice account and only a plain cable modem.
Xakequri
join:2012-12-30
Midlothian, VA

Xakequri

Cheeseman,

You are correct about the eMTA modem requirement for triple play. I found that out when I attempted to return my P.O.S. SMCD3GNV gateway after getting my recently purchased Motorola SB6141 provisioned. Luckily, the technician who came to install my X1 boxes was able to work with a customer service technician to get the $9 monthly charged removed from my account. The SB6141 is so much better than the SMCD3GNV - no modem resets, and I can get to the modem statistics page. I bought an ASUS RT-AC68U wireless router which has much better signal strength and coverage than the SMCD3GNV, plus it works just fine with Chromecast. Overall, thing are much better now. I just wish I could get a good price on a X1 double play package and return that stinking SMCD3GNV .