uniqs

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

5 recommendations

ropeguru

Premium Member

Unlimited get throttled around 5GB, but...

If you pay us more money for a shared plan that allows more than 5GB, we will not throttle you. Again, just a plain money grab!!

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

4 recommendations

IPPlanMan

Yup. AT&T pulled this same crap for its Unlimited Plans by initially throttling the top 5% of data users progressively until the the throttling level actually dropped below the actual tiered data plans being offered instead. However, if you were willing to pay more, you could get more "unthrottled" data before you hit a cap. After an uproar, it changed to 3GB for 3G devices and 5GB for 4G devices before "throttling".

Congestion my @$$.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to ropeguru

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

If you pay us more money for a shared plan that allows more than 5GB, we will not throttle you. Again, just a plain money grab!!

WRONG. If it was a money grab they would just kill it off. did you even READ the article? Nope. Why? I can tell by your response.

In order to see reduced speeds, you have to be a customer that meets all of the criteria below (again, ALL of the criteria):

Top 5% of data users

Enrolled on an unlimited data plan or feature

Have fulfilled their minimum contract term

Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand

And even then the "thottling" isn't permanent.
m3nphls
join:2012-10-02
Brooklyn, NY

m3nphls to ropeguru

to ropeguru
I don't see what the problem is. AT&T does throttle you no matter what tower you are connected to. VZW will throttle you if you hit 4.7GB and you are in a congested tower but your speed goes back to normal if tower is not congested.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

As happened initially with AT&T, watch the top 5% of users' data usage become progressively lower.... You'll see.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by IPPlanMan:

As happened initially with AT&T, watch the top 5% of users' data usage become progressively lower.... You'll see.

math doesn't work that way. First even if you're in the top 5% you only get throttled if that tower sector is congested. Once the congestion goes away or you move to an uncongested tower you are no longer throttled. Why is this so hard to understand?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

1 edit

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan

There's always a top 5% and it will always drop.

What's the threshold level for "congestion"? Whatever and wherever Verizon wants it to be. I'm sure they'll tell us.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4

Interesting point, I agree with Verizon's plan, but they also need to adequately define congestion. If it's something like hitting 90% capacity, then it sounds great to me.

The heaviest users are always subsidized by the lighter users so they should be impacted first. If you are truly one of a few users on a tower as many like to claim, then this shouldn't impact them so long as Verizon doesn't abuse the definition of congestion.
Brim77
join:2012-03-16
Lansing, MI

Brim77 to 78036364

to 78036364
Wireless carriers CANNOT kill off UNLIMITED data plans because they WILL lose in court. Remember this guy?

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 573.html

Good God reading your incredibly biased posts makes me want to blow my brains out. Although an easier suicide method might be to climb your massive ego and jump down to your IQ level.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

They can kill off Unlimited Data whenever they want... but they won't do it that way.

They're just going to keep calling it Unlimited while they progressively throttle the top 5% to lower and lower usage thresholds and claim tower congestion on some arbitrary basis...

Don't worry... This all makes for good business in the echo chamber over there.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to 78036364

MVM

to 78036364
Wow. And do you trust the government too?
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

2 recommendations

biochemistry to tabernak4

Premium Member

to tabernak4
The heaviest users are not subsidized by the lightest users. Verizon is turning a profit on all users.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys to 78036364

to 78036364
One criteria will be met every time they will say the tower you are on is loaded and throttle us even if your the only person on that tower. You know and so does everybody else.......

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364
said by 78036364:

did you even READ the article? Nope

How do you know what I did or did not read? Do you have access to all my computers to know what I do on them? No? Then quit telling me what I did or did not read!

I did read the article and this was MY opinion from the article and past experience.

So you can go away now!!
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
AT&T never throttled me and I repeated did 6-10GBs a month.

At the end the day If you don't like what AT&T and Verizon does to make money switch to another carrier. It's great to that people think companies like VZW, AT&T and Apple are all "money grabbing". Last I checked there for profit companies. Clearly people will pay for their services. This is Supply and Demand 101.

No one forces people to stay with a company they don't like.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4 to biochemistry

to biochemistry
Have any proof? Any consumer broadband I'm aware of exists at those prices because of their ability to oversubscribe users. This is even more true of wireless at the moment. That's why business connections cost so much more so they can meet their Service Level Agreements. Even if they are profiting on all users, the heaviest users would still be subsidized by the lightest users so the can attain the overall profit margins they are shooting for.
Paul in WA
join:2010-09-11
Centralia, WA

Paul in WA to Big Dawg 23

to Big Dawg 23
said by Big Dawg 23:

No one forces people to stay with a company they don't like.

Amen. After reading this I am even happier that I gave up my expensive ($80 with all the fees and taxes) unlimited Verizon account for T-Mobile/WalMart's $30 (Total!) 100 min talk, unlimited text and 5 GB of 4G data pre-paid plan. VoIP gets me around the limited talk minutes, I'm not much of a traveler and T-Mobile has good coverage around the SF Bay area - so I smile every month at the $50 I am saving.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to ropeguru

to ropeguru
Let's hope the consumer grows a pair and leaves Verizon for good. Then maybe the business model will evolve. It's time for Tmobile to make a play for Verizon customers this time. Unlimited data customers are and important demographic because they pay their bills in boom and bust times..

Perhaps customers could get a txt alert that a particular cell tower is experiencing high congestion (or a tower status update) and make appropriate changes to avoid throttling instead of pitting bucket users against unlimited users.
Expand your moderator at work