All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

theboyk
join:2004-10-04
Toronto, ON

theboyk

Asus RT-AC66U + shibby = WAN limited to 100M?

Hey all.

I'm running shibby's Tomato (1.28.0000 MIPSR2-121 K26AC USB AIO-64K) on my Asus RT-AC66U. I had my ISP upgrade my line to a 1G (1000M) connection. But, when they set the line to 1G, the connection goes offline and won't come back online.

The Asus RT-AC66U is capable of 1G speeds, and I've swapped out all my ethernet cables with new (tested) Cat5e cables that can sustain 1G speeds.

Right now, the (working) WAN connection is showing 100M FULL (via Status > Overview > Ethernet Port State) and my single LAN port is showing 1000M FULL (which is connected to my 1G switch stack).

But, if I go to Advanced > Miscellaneous > WAN Port Speed the drop down menu only lists AUTO and port speeds up to 100M FULL (1000M FULL isn't listed). Is this drop down list only showing "available" selections? What I mean is, since the WAN port is only reporting a 100M FULL port state (because my ISP has the connection set to 100M on their end), is that why there's now 1000M available in the drop down? Or, should 1000M be available?

I have a really good feeling this is an issue with my ISP (and not my hardware), but just wanted to get other people's opinion. The reason I say I have a good feeling it's an issue on their end is, we also ran a test connecting direct to one of my machines (ISP's ethernet direct into the 1G ethernet port on my computer), and same thing happened—port link speed would be 100M initially (which is correct, because the ISP has the connection set to 100M), but as soon as they set it to 1G (1000M), the port would go offline. But, I know the port on that computer is capable of 1G (as I have it attached to my switch stack right now and the link speed is 1G).

As well, I checked another router I have (an ASUS RT-N16) and it's also capable of 1G on the WAN. But, it's only connected to a 100M line—and same thing—Advanced > Miscellaneous > WAN Port Speed the drop down menu only lists AUTO and port speeds up to 100M FULL (1000M FULL isn't listed). Thus, I'm assuming Tomato limits what's in that drop down to "available" speeds.

FYI—both routers, via Advanced > Miscellaneous > WAN Port Speed are set to AUTO (so, they *should* auto-negotiate at 1G, when available).

Anyway, just wanted to see what other's opinions are here?

Thanks,
Kristin.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

When i had 150\10 connection with start, i wasn't able to pull the full speeds with shibby's firmware, but, everything worked perfectly with Victek's.

This was on RT-N66U router, which is actually the same hardware, expect, N66U doesn't have AC support like AC66U model.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Why not use Merlin?
trog
join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON

trog to theboyk

to theboyk
Have you asked over at »linksysinfo.org/index.php ?

damir
CANADA

damir to Nitra

to Nitra
I was more then happy with Merlin's firmware on mentioned router, i would recommend it as well.

Some people are used to Tomato interface\options, etc, and i understand that too.

My brother for example, with the same router, never flashed Merlin's, and i recommended it to him multiple times.
His answer always been the same " i am Tomato's guys " and my response was always the same to him " you look like one "
damir

damir to trog

to trog
said by trog:

Have you asked over at »linksysinfo.org/index.php ?

It was discussed there multiple times, easier to google.

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk

Yea, I searched there (and posted there too). There's never a solid answer as to whether or not is can do speeds on the WAN beyond 100M. Lots of "it could be this problem" or "it could be that problem" but nothing solid.

damir
CANADA

damir

Router can, but, shibby's tomato has some kid of limitations or whatever (now you are getting the same answer as you are getting it there).

Are you able to try Victek's?

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

My AC66U with Merlin is running,

WAN 1000 Full Duplex

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to theboyk

Premium Member

to theboyk
said by theboyk:

Yea, I searched there (and posted there too). There's never a solid answer as to whether or not is can do speeds on the WAN beyond 100M. Lots of "it could be this problem" or "it could be that problem" but nothing solid.

I was a bit bummed by this when I flashed an older version of Tomato on my N66U, the older versions of TomatoUSB (which the older versions of Shibby are based on) don't have the "FastLAN" option enabled.

When I replaced my N66U at home with a AC68U, I noticed that FastLAN in now enabled by default in Shibby firware. What I don't know is if FastLAN is enabled by default in the latest N66U version of Shibby's firmware.

EQ

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk to damir

to damir
Yea, I know the hardware can support it, but it's trying to figure out if it's an ISP thing or a shibby thing. I can totally try Victek's build, as well as Merlin's (thought I'd prefer to stick to a Tomato build). But, was just hoping someone out there might have a solid answer before I start rebuilding firmare over and over again. 8)

damir
CANADA

damir

said by theboyk:

Yea, I know the hardware can support it, but it's trying to figure out if it's an ISP thing or a shibby thing. I can totally try Victek's build, as well as Merlin's (thought I'd prefer to stick to a Tomato build). But, was just hoping someone out there might have a solid answer before I start rebuilding firmare over and over again. 8)

I think only shibby can answer it, if he wants :P or Victek \ Merlin \ Toastman.

I would jump to Victek's, very good firmware as well.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

I've got a connection above 100Megs, it's flawless on Merlin with said router.

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk to damir

to damir
I'll give it a shot (and if that doesn't work, then I'll go with Merlin. I'd just like to stick with Tomato, if I can, as I've been using it for years and know where everything is, etc.).

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

I was the same, but with I swapped to the AC66U, I moved to Merlin as well at the same time, I have yet to have any issues with it.

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk

I have Merlin running on one of my wireless APs (in AP mode, not router mode), so I'll switch that over to router mode and have a look through the options. Mainly, I need reliable port forwarding, the ability to assign static IPs (via DHCP based on MAC addresses) and QoS. Don't need WiFi (as I have dedicated APs for that, just need it as a router).

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Merlin basically fixes the issues with the stock firmware and adds on to it a little.
It's not a major revision change like some of the others.

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk

Yea, I have it running on my wireless AP, but I've never had a chance to enable the router functions on it. And thus, my plans for the weekend.

I did, however, get a chance to play with the Victek build of Tomato (via the simulator Victek provides) and 1000M is in the WAN drop down (1000M is missing in the shibby build), so that gives me some hope as well...

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Can you ssh into the router and flip the speed yourself?

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk

said by Nitra:

Can you ssh into the router and flip the speed yourself?

On the shibby Tomato router? Not sure how I'd "flip the speed" via SSH (I can ssh in, but I'm not sure what you mean by "flip the speed")?

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Reconfigure the port, sure the dropdown isn't there, but if you can ssh, you should have full control of the router.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to theboyk

MVM

to theboyk
said by theboyk:

(thought I'd prefer to stick to a Tomato build)

Merlin is a Tomato build. The stock firmware, AsusWRT, is a fork of Tomato (Tomato-RT/Tomato-USB specifically), and Merlin is a fork of AsusWRT. The user interface is different at this point, of course.

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk

Well, there ya go! I had no idea. I guess I'll be slightly more specific then...I'd prefer to stick with the "standard" Tomato UI (Toastman/shibby/Victek). 8)
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs to theboyk

to theboyk
I think you are confusing hardware capabilities and software capabilities. Ports can be 1000M but if the cable is too long (or poor quality) the NIC (network interface card) won't negotiate 1000M and will fallback to 100M. It happens on the NIC firmware level and has nothing to do with the operating system (Tomato, Merlin etc.). How long is the cable from your ISP? Do you know where it is coming from? If you have a similar problem with your computer my first guess would be your ISP or their cable is to blame.
alpovs

alpovs to theboyk

to theboyk
P.S. My RT-N66U and RT-AC66U with various versions of Shibby Tomato had no problem negotiating 1000M on the WAN port when connected to a DCM476 (cable modem) via a short cable.

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk to alpovs

to alpovs
Nope, I don't think I'm confusing anything. My hunch is that it's an ISP issue (cabling), but just trying to rule out the firmware before the technician comes out.

It's a Cat6 cable from the ISP's switch (in the basement) and it does a direct run (straight up a pipe) into my server room. It's about a 300' run, so this is cutting it pretty close to the max for Cat6 (if I remember correctly). This (and the direct-to-computer) test really makes me lean towards the ISP cabling being the issue.

But, since they're not going to be able to get here until Monday, I thought I'd look into the software issue. I just thought it was weird that the 1000M FULL (or HALF) speed wasn't listed in the WAN Port Speed drop down, which got me thinking maybe it was a software issue.
theboyk

theboyk to alpovs

to alpovs
said by alpovs:

P.S. My RT-N66U and RT-AC66U with various versions of Shibby Tomato had no problem negotiating 1000M on the WAN port when connected to a DCM476 (cable modem) via a short cable.

Well, that's good news then! I'm loading a backup N66U with Victek this weekend, so I'll have another to test come Monday. We'll see...
alpovs

alpovs to theboyk

to theboyk
OK. Maybe I didn't read the whole thread carefully.

I think the reason why 1000M is not in that drop down menu is that AUTO is covering it. I don't remember how it is on my router and can't look at it right now but it didn't look strange to me when I was setting it up.

Have a look at the router logs. Maybe there is a message there about not being able to negotiate full 1000M.

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk

said by alpovs:

I think the reason why 1000M is not in that drop down menu is that AUTO is covering it. I don't remember how it is on my router and can't look at it right now but it didn't look strange to me when I was setting it up.

Yea, I just think it's weird that 10M and 100M are listed in the drop down, but 1000M isn't. That's why I was asking/wondering if Tomato (this is the same with Toastman) is "smart enough" to know the the WAN link is only capable of 100M (because my ISP is currently set to 100M, thus the port is reporting a 100M connection) so it doesn't even show the option in the drop down for anything more than that.

I guess I could test that by plugging in a 10M cable and seeing if the 100M drops from the list, but be damned if I have any 10M cables anymore. I guess if I really had time, I could plug a 1000M into my switch and have the switch negotiate at 10M and test that way... ).
alpovs

alpovs

No, I think Tomato is not that smart. I meant that AUTO=1000M. And if you don't want full speed you can chose 100M or 10M. You can't force an adapter to full speed when it can't achieve it but you can force it to lower speed when it can achieve higher speed. That's why I thought having AUTO and 1000M is redundant.