dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sideband
join:2014-07-25

sideband

SURFboard SB6141 downloads slow, modem support blames on ISP upstream power?

Hello,

Just upgraded from DOCSIS 2 to 3 this past week, and have had continual problems with the modem dropping its download speeds substantially, from the 80 Mbit I got briefly at first, now stuck down in the 0.5-4 Mbit range. Upload speeds have stayed at the same (capped) level of 12 Mbit with no problems.

Comcast blames the new modem; and Arris (Motorola) support blames Comcast, because the upstream power is 50-51 dBmV, which is pretty close to the recommended high limit of 52.

Would a high upstream power affect only my download speeds like that? I don't really know whom to believe. Should I ask Comcast to improve my upstream power, or should I return the new modem (or both)?

Service: Comcast Blast cable, supposed to be 50 Mbit or better
Old modem: SURFboard 5152, DOCSIS 2, gets 35 Mbps down, 11 up.
New modem: SURFboard SB6141, DOCSIS 3, gets 0.5 to 4 Mbps down, 11 up.

Any ideas?
sideband

sideband

Decided to return the modem after reading a bunch of 1 star reviews on Amazon from people with same issue, some of who successfully fixed it on replacement. *shrug*, will see what happens.
Caboosey
join:2006-06-22
Pismo Beach, CA

Caboosey to sideband

to sideband
I blame ISP for not updating the firmware. Check your firmware. I bet it's still running the original factory firmware from 2012.

Good Ol Dan
join:2000-05-15
The Villages, FL

1 recommendation

Good Ol Dan to sideband

to sideband
I fought with Comcast over a SB6141 I bought last year. Frequent dropouts even with reasonable signal levels, but Comcast wouldn't admit to a problem or provide any help. I replaced the Motorola with a Zoom DOCCIS 3 modem, with some improvement but still had similar issues as the Motorola. It wasn't until after reading a tip in a user forum somewhere that I bought a Ubee DDM3513 on Amazon for $68. It's a Comcast-approved DOCCIS 3 modem (but only a 8x4... still fine for 50/10 Blast packages and even higher). It worked great from Day 1 with no dropouts, etc, even at an upstream of 50-51 dBmV .