spc
Search similar:

uniqs
smilepak
join:2002-02-27
Chino, CA

smilepak

Any faster?

So I have TWC at the moment with 100MB down and 5MB up. Since my special contract rate is about to expire, wanted to explore other option.

What is the fastest uVerse available at the moment? I live in a new home where it is fiber up to the house (confirmed when they activated the phone line, the guy had to put in a fiber box to landline convert).

On the website, they said for my area (city) it is the Max Turbo (24MB) @ $54.95 a month.

Is there faster that is not on their website?

Or will there be faster coming soon?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

If you are truly on FTTP with an ONT on the side of your house with the option for 24Meg max, then they may not have rolled out the new profiles there yet. You "should" be running on GPON and be able to get the 45Meg Power Tier very soon if not already. 100Meg is supposed to start rolling out in the near future for all the FTTP customers, as well as for copper customers with the new 17a profiles and vectoring.

As time goes on, AT&T is moving existing FTTP customers over to "Gigapower" head ends which are primarily CO based instead of housed in VRADs. They can carry GPON connections, depending on the signal loss budget, up to 20 kilometers. Those will support 100-300Meg symmetric out of the gate with plans to get to 1Gig. For the customers still living on copper, AT&T is planning more slowly, on a case by case basis, to go back to those neighborhoods and retro-fit with FTTP. You are one of the lucky few who will be towards the front of the line and will have access to those services first.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to smilepak

Premium Member

to smilepak
said by smilepak:

So I have TWC at the moment with 100MB down and 5MB up.

Keep in mind that your 100/5 will be upgraded to 300/20 before the end of this year. (all of the L.A. market area will be, including Chino).

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to smilepak

to smilepak
said by smilepak:

So I have TWC at the moment with 100MB down and 5MB up. Since my special contract rate is about to expire, wanted to explore other option.

What is the fastest uVerse available at the moment? I live in a new home where it is fiber up to the house (confirmed when they activated the phone line, the guy had to put in a fiber box to landline convert).

If everything is working good now, I would leave it alone but eventually I would go with AT&T and GigaPower. So if you get a good deal or start having problems with TWC switch immediately, because Fiber is the Future.
xcrunner529
join:2010-08-05
Columbus, OH

xcrunner529 to rolande

to rolande
said by rolande:

If you are truly on FTTP with an ONT on the side of your house with the option for 24Meg max, then they may not have rolled out the new profiles there yet. You "should" be running on GPON and be able to get the 45Meg Power Tier very soon if not already. 100Meg is supposed to start rolling out in the near future for all the FTTP customers, as well as for copper customers with the new 17a profiles and vectoring.

What if you're BPON FTTP?
smilepak
join:2002-02-27
Chino, CA

smilepak to rolande

to rolande
Good to know.

my thoughts
@166.181.80.x

my thoughts to xcrunner529

Anon

to xcrunner529
BPON ONTs have Max Plus internet speed (18). To upgrade would require canceling your account, schedule new install for CIM to replace ONT, work at VRAD for splitter.

Then a Uverse tech to redo inside equipment... any DVR recordings are gone (tied to original accoint). Expect two weeks without service from time of cancel to new installation based on previous posts.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to xcrunner529

MVM,

to xcrunner529
said by xcrunner529:

What if you're BPON FTTP?

I don't believe you can get 24Meg on BPON. The limit is 18.
xcrunner529
Columbus, OH

xcrunner529 to my thoughts

to my thoughts
said by my thoughts :

BPON ONTs have Max Plus internet speed (18). To upgrade would require canceling your account, schedule new install for CIM to replace ONT, work at VRAD for splitter.

Then a Uverse tech to redo inside equipment... any DVR recordings are gone (tied to original accoint). Expect two weeks without service from time of cancel to new installation based on previous posts.

Yeah, I'll just switch back to TWC when my contract is up in Nov. This development is only a couple years old. Oh well, AT&T slows down nightly anyway and while I love their TV service and features, I am going internet only so mise well go with the fastest and TWC internet has always been very reliable.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by xcrunner529:

said by my thoughts :

Yeah, I'll just switch back to TWC when my contract is up in Nov. This development is only a couple years old. Oh well, AT&T slows down nightly anyway and while I love their TV service and features, I am going internet only so mise well go with the fastest and TWC internet has always been very reliable.

Do you actually need the speed? Most people purchase ridiculously high tiers and they barely use them(mainly for the "cool" factor).
xcrunner529
Columbus, OH

xcrunner529

Yes, I do some data transfers from and to a VPS I run and I also do a lot of Netflix and such. I also really need faster upload. Currently uploading to Backblaze is painful and I have a 2TB external HDD I'd like to back up some day. And again, I also see speeds drop at night here a lot. Probably because most people in my complex use AT&T because it's normally cheaper.