All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
qbanb8582
join:2012-08-09
Pensacola, FL

qbanb8582

Cox needing tech for Ultimate upgrade a sham.

I got upgraded to ultimate internet today. Let me first say I was already on premier with a Docsis 3.0 modem. I called on monday and spent a few minutes on the phone with the rep going back and fourth about how I have already have a docsis 3.0 already and that I don't need a tech to come out. But they insisted thats the case because they want to make sure I'm getting the "true" 150mbs, its also $60 for this.

Well the cox tech called before about 10 minutes before he showed up. He said there shouldn't be anything he needs to do that its all done by customer service. I told him I agree but they insisted a tech must be out there to be sure its the proper speeds. Probably less then 5 minutes after I got off the phone. My modem reset, and once I its back up I do some speed tests and I'm getting 138mbps on the cox's speed check utility. I go to speedtest.net and get results between 144mbps-188mbps. The tech hasn't even shown up to my house yet. He shows up goes to a cox specific speedtest website and gets around 140mpbs. He was done and gone within 5 minutes if that.

This is where I'll give cox credit. I called customer support after that and the rep said there was nothing noted about being done on the ticket, so she did credit my account for the amount of the fee. I am digging the speed increase. Just thought I through my experience out there for anyone else going from premier to ultimate.

caedmon
@68.0.133.x

caedmon

Anon

I'll give COX some credit here and assume they are trying to prevent extra cost and possibly a bad customer experience down the road by verifying everything is within specs for Ultimate service. Pre-emptive if you will.

I too was unhappy with the fee but am happy that I have not encountered any problems with Ultimate. Would the service be just as reliable if the tech hadn't come out? For me probably. Would that be true in all installations? Probably not.

So I think the reason for the requirement is more then just an additional income stream for them.

spanglo
Premium Member
join:2004-05-17
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

spanglo to qbanb8582

Premium Member

to qbanb8582
Same thing when I upgraded a few year back. I argued it was unnecessary for the same reasons you did and they waived the fee. They rolled a tech, but all he did was provision my modem - nothing else.

I've since gone back to Premier, but was thinking of upgrading again when the speeds increase, but I know they'll demand a tech install and I'd rather not go through the bother of paying the fee or arguing my way out of it - again.

Understandable why they would "require" an install, but they should allow an exemption if you have the necessary equipment in place. A few simple questions could make sure of that.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

Ultimate does not get any new speeds only preferred and Premiere get upped.

spanglo
Premium Member
join:2004-05-17
San Diego, CA

spanglo

Premium Member

I'm sure Ultimate will get a bump, or else they would have Premier and Ultimate both at 100mb/s DL speeds.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
they pretty much sucked all the value out of ultimate
Jrod0125
join:2014-07-23
united state

Jrod0125

My guy just called it in and was done in less than 15 minutes. Fortunately Cox did waive the "installation" fee.
The Saguaro
join:2002-05-18
Tucson, AZ

The Saguaro to ajwees41

to ajwees41
Actually, that's not true. Any areas where Ultimate is still at 100 (such as SOCAL), will get up'd to 150.
qbanb8582
join:2012-08-09
Pensacola, FL

qbanb8582 to caedmon

to caedmon
I could understand if the user was sill using a docsis 2.0 modem and on like preferred. But there is premier "plus" which is users that are on premier with a docsis 3.0 modem.

For those users I don't they should blindly send a tech to them. They should upgrade them and if they aren't getting the right speed then send out a tech. Because those users have the hardware and proper setup for the most part.

If I was still using a Docsis 2.0 modem and it that was replaced I would probably be ok with it. If by some chance he had to replace the line I would've totally accepted the $60 "install". But to have it all be done over the phone without touching anything is garbage to charge a fee.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

"because we can"

PURE PROFIT!

AnonPhx
@68.231.70.x

AnonPhx

Anon

If I had a dollar for every Ultimate upgrade that I downed due to incompatible equipment or misguided expectations of the service I would retire. Just because this group is of the higher technical mind doesn't mean everyone is and/or understands what exactly they are paying for.

I try to at least go though every inch of cable I can get my hands on, who the hell knows maybe there is something I can find that might disrupt the service. Often if there are open connections on the tap I'll pull a second drop purely for the HSI service just because I want this to work.

Most of you guys see this purely as a joke, most of you have the setups that really don't need me to check anything out, most of you have dedicated lines ran to your modem. You're in the minority when it comes to our entire customer base when it comes to this stuff.

You all know well enough that Sales will push anything, even Ultimate to your grandma to check her e-mail on AOL with her Dell PC that is 8 years old. Those are the customers field services are trying to help out and one of the reasons this policy is in place.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
I am hitting 120Mbps on premier. when download videos from you tube and games from steam. I's good enough for my needs.