uniqs

clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

How to get rid of a yellow jacket nest?

So, I'm throwing an outdoor party today.. Cleaning up the yard when I find a yellow jacket nest (right next to the pipe I just covered... sigh).

It is right next to a vinyl fence, so I am wondering. Ideas for killing it off? (I know, I need to do it at night).

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

I used one of those spray cans that shoots 20'. Yes, do it at dusk.

The spray will kill grass, so try and be careful. Spray then RUN LIKE HELL. Does not take much.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

2 recommendations

Hellrazor to clevere1

to clevere1
I like to use napalm but I settle for pouring sevin dust in the hole....

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Use the spray. Kills them almost "on contact". I just got rid of 2 nests this week, literally one of them dropped as it was trying to fly out.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
»www.amazon.com/Raid-Wasp ··· HPQV2M2K

Not sure what I've used this on before, but it worked well.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

2 recommendations

battleop to cowboyro

to cowboyro
Not nearly as exciting as gas and a match.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to clevere1

MVM

to clevere1
I got rid of one a few years ago... they will come back unless you dig up the nest.

Wait until a time they won't be swarming.. initially spray with insect spray then pour down gasoline. To be safe wear clothing that covers well and even a netting from hat to shirt/jacket, gloves etc....wait a few minutes then try to dig it up if in the ground. The one we dug up looked like a large dinner place.. we cracked it with a shovel and killed the queen.

PS No pest service would get rid of them.. at least the ones I called.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to clevere1

Anon

to clevere1
Use dust. That's what my exterminator did for free when he was at my house and the neighbor asked about a nest on her property. Took 2 seconds.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Bee and wasp killer works great. Raid or any other brand, found at just about any store. I use it all the time on my job, since the little bastards like to nest in the equipment I work on. Kills them almost instantly, and the residual will keep killing them as the ones that were not home at the time come back to the nest. An example (It kills more than just wasps and hornets): »www.raidkillsbugs.com/en ··· iller-33

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

5 recommendations

Grumpy4 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
In the event this gets delayed until Fall and for those allergic - know that yellow jackets become very aggressive in the Fall season, and will attack someone at 10 feet from the nest with no provocation.

Been there...
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to clevere1

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

Ideas for killing it off?

I had a friend that used Dry Ice and dirt. Allot is dependent on access to the entrance to the hive. Just after sunrise when you can see what you are doing dump dry ice into the entrance and close up the entrance with the dirt. The C02 will asphyxiate the wasps and the cold will keep them from digging out the entrance. There will be no toxic residue.

WEAR THICK GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION. BE CAREFUL WHEN HANDLING THE DRY ICE BECAUSE IT CAN CAUSE INSTANT FROST BURNS. BRING A PICNIC COOLER TO PICK UP THE DRY ICE FROM THE STORE. BREAK UP THE DRY ICE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE PICNIC COOLER. PLACE A METAL PAN AT THE BOTTOM OF THE COOLER TO PREVENT PUNCTURING THE COOLER. WAIT TO BREAK UP THE DRY ICE UNTIL YOU ARE AT THE HIVE AND DUMP IT RIGHT IN THE ENTRANCE HOLE. THEN COVER THE HOLE WITH DIRT.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to clevere1

to clevere1
I just use the pressure washer and nail the nest if they are above ground wasps. If they are GROUND wasps I pour boiling water down the hole.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 recommendations

Grumpy4 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Got stung the other day trying clean up a rotted wood pile. Not sure what the critter was, but my leg itched like a ten inch wide mosquito bite for a week while the poison took a tour of my lymph vessels.

Anybody got a mil spec flame thrower I can borrow for a grudge match?
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
If its in a place where you can put a glass bowl over the entrance hole, that's probably the simplest and most non toxic way to do it. Though it wont help for the party, it takes about a week to kill them all. It has to be a glass bowl. They can see through it and then never try to dig under or otherwise try to find an alternate way out. They just keep bonking into the glass until they all starve.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt
I used similar method to get rid of 2 enormous art colonies that 'came with the house' I bought.
The ants bites left a wound and pain for days.

I placed a 1 kilo block of dry ice on top of each hole and covered with a plastic garbage bag and a little dirt to hold bag in place.
Few days later removed bag and no more ants.
That was 15 years ago
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
There is a guy around here that makes art out of it. He actually digs them up and covers them with copper and sells them. They are actually pretty cool looking and some are big as shit. He sucks the bees out with a wet vac. Not sure whats in the wet vac cause what goes in stays in. Guess it might be important to mention he has a second guy constantly blowing a leave blower in his direction. Some of the things go down 2 and 3 foot.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
I know it's late in the season, but I found out they start nesting around the spring. Each year, I look around under the gutters to make sure they are starting a nest. If I see one, I simply knock it off and destroy it. The one year I missed it and found a nest, I went to Home Depot and bought a Reusable Yellow Jackt Trap. I still have it in the garage for when I need it again. I am not much into chemicals since I don't want to hurt the environment.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

I guess I should have been more specific .. sorry.

It's an in ground nest. I tried some dawn and the hose last night. Poured the dawn in and ran water into the nest for an hour or so....

Then I saw soap bubbles exiting the ground under my fence... two ways to get out.. darn them.

I looked at the nest this morning, they are quite active....

So, sprays for an in ground nest? I really hate these things... There is lots of dead grass around the nest site, plus it is right next to the vinyl slats in my fence...... So my options are limited.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Take a shovel out and have you daffy duck moment. All joking aside you can dig it out if you have someone with a leaf blower.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to clevere1

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

I guess I should have been more specific .. sorry.

It's an in ground nest. I tried some dawn and the hose last night. Poured the dawn in and ran water into the nest for an hour or so....

Then I saw soap bubbles exiting the ground under my fence... two ways to get out.. darn them.

I looked at the nest this morning, they are quite active....

So, sprays for an in ground nest? I really hate these things... There is lots of dead grass around the nest site, plus it is right next to the vinyl slats in my fence...... So my options are limited.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

a gallon of bleach poured down the hole at night then put a rock over it works..

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

Hmm ..

What are thoughts in spraying two cans of hornet/wasp killer down the hole at night?

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to clevere1

Anon

to clevere1
Tempo 1% dust. Or call an exterminator.

There are also yellow jacket traps you can hang on a nearby tree.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
That hornet/wasp killer spray is meant to shoot like 20-30 feet and upwards. If you are like within 2 feet of a hole nest, the back spray might be pretty strong and at least you'd have trouble controlling the can and at worst it could cover your more than the nest.

rzaruba
join:2000-08-04

rzaruba to clevere1

to clevere1
quote:
What are thoughts in spraying two cans of hornet/wasp killer down the hole at night?
I've been doing it that way for 30+ years. Ground nests (mostly), aerial nests, and cavity nests.

I use Wasp Stopper or Wasp DOA, but if you can't get that, ask one of the telephone guys what they carry in their trucks. That's how I learned about these two products. They have to have something that works instantly when they are going into a box.

I generally try to do it late at night. It has to be very dark as they are active after sunset as long as there is some light.

For some reason, my exterminator can go up to one during the day and dust in Drione dust and nothing bothers him. That's another good thing, Drione dust, also works wonders on ants. Any type of diatomaceous dust works well.

To prevent stuff, I spray around the usual spots where they will enter in the spring with Viper or the like.

AFA yellow jackets, I also carry a spray around in early spring and kill as many queens as I can while I am doing yard work.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
I've never had any issues.
theboz1419
join:2003-02-12
Puyallup, WA

theboz1419 to rody_44

to rody_44
They would be to delicate digging them out of the ground and covering them with copper.

»www.anthillart.com/

This person fills the ant hive with molten aluminum, some are pretty neat looking

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Try one of these but it away from people but near the nest & it will die. »www.amazon.com/Johnson-7 ··· KSZHQQX9
chip89

chip89 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
You need this spay it in the hole & the foam will expend & fill the nest. »www.lowes.com/pd_190359- ··· =3479819
chip89

chip89 to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
Been there to.. & in the nuts....

Feenix
join:2001-12-30
Jefferson City, MO

Feenix to rody_44

to rody_44
Here's a video of one such process:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 5Xwo2U_Y