uniqs
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to edale

Premium Member

to edale

Re: How to get rid of a yellow jacket nest?

said by edale:

Heavy vibrations get them riled up. The worst is passing a lawnmower over their underground hive!

That reminds me of something that happened to me as a teen. I was at my step brothers house and was helping them cut the grass. For a little bit of back-story, the push mower they had did not shut off when you released the grab handle. No one knew about a bee's nest there but I sure found it when I passed over their hole I sure found it. Needless to say, that always running mower got parked over their hole and I hauled ass back to the house. Twas quite amusing cause I never saw a bee make it past the mower LOL.

MoebiusGrip
@74.89.77.x

MoebiusGrip to iknow_t

Anon

to iknow_t
said by iknow_t:

here's something eco friendly, and I don't see how it could possibly fail.. »www.rodentblaster.com/ that should kill the yellow jackets quick..

And it's only (ready?).... $1,579.99!

clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

So ...

I've sprayed two bottles of the stuff (Foaming Yellow jacket killer) in, what I believe is the hive hole... 4 days later .. same activity as before.. damn it.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

Maybe that's not the hole? That stuff works if it's the hole.
chip89

chip89 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Maybe the foam & sevin dust would work. (Also I found some in my garage from somewhere...)
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber to clevere1

to clevere1
Sevin dust works if you apply it around the entrance. When the yellow jackets land to go in they will pick up the dust on them. They bring it into the nest, and the other members of the colony will contact the affected yellow jackets and DIE!!!! This has worked for me on more than a few occasions, and I have yet to be stung.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

I tried the less than earth friendly method and then covered it with a board tonight.. If it kills off the nest, I'll remove the dirt and nest.. if not, sevin dust it is...

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

I just sprayed "Spectracide Pro Wasp And Hornet Killer" with 43K dielectric-breakdown voltage strength**. 20 ft jet. On live YellowJacket hive. (this spray is non-conductive up to 47,300 volts if your wasp or hornet nest is located near electrical wiring or panels.)

A couple got airborne before I saturated the hive access area...so I shot one point blank and it just dropped. Damn!

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

4 recommendations

Grumpy4 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
See what happens when we start talking sting critters? I got stung under the eye 15 minutes ago. Mixed blessing - I get to miss a wedding (on a friggin Friday afternoon for whatever that means, and no one seems to know) that I didn't really want to go to anyway - friends of my daughter among whom I know no one and 87 in the shade here and an outdoor no AC wedding. I'm not particularly shy, just not really interested and a 30 year age gap. All have left here for the festivities. Guess I'll have to take a nap and watch Netflix. Sighs... Somebody has to do it.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1 to chip89

Premium Member

to chip89
said by chip89:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with that spray. I even watched them fly in and out several times to make sure I was spraying into the right hole.....

1.5 cans of the spray later ... still got the buggers.

I left the board on the hole I saw them flying in and out of last night, after applying the less than earth friendly way, and running like all get out, today I see no yellow jackets flying around at all. I was thinking of uncovering the nest tonight to see if I have any that enter/exit tomorrow. If not, I dig it up with one of the kids on standby with the jet powered spray.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Click for full size
I just sprayed and killed a nest the other night. I stepped on the nest, which caused them to swarm and sting my dog. I never got stung. So walked to the garage, grabbed the spray, and killed them. 2 minute process. Everything is dead. I dug it up right after.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to clevere1

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

said by chip89:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with that spray. I even watched them fly in and out several times to make sure I was spraying into the right hole.....

1.5 cans of the spray later ... still got the buggers.

I left the board on the hole I saw them flying in and out of last night, after applying the less than earth friendly way, and running like all get out, today I see no yellow jackets flying around at all. I was thinking of uncovering the nest tonight to see if I have any that enter/exit tomorrow. If not, I dig it up with one of the kids on standby with the jet powered spray.

If you mean a high pressure washer, DON'T use that, if the spray hits you, it can inject water under your skin, and possibly kill you!!. accidents DO happen.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Click for full size
Locations of Entrances
Click for full size
The Good Stuff
Click for full size
Not So Effective
Well I think I won! After trying 2 sprays that did not work, I mixed my own and got the buggers.

Granted I had a tough time getting a clean shot at the entrances as leaves and a window well were blocking a direct shot.

The Total Kill Wasp and Hornet ( Foamy Spray ) did little, and the Raid Wasp and Hornet was not too effective. I sprayed this on the nest and left it alone for a week. They were still flying.

When I returned to the task, I used the Professional Wasp and Hornet ( which seemed to leave an oily stain on the siding ) into the holes and leaves as well as very concentrated mix of Seven and Basic Lawn and Garden Insect Killer ( containing 2.5% Permethrin ). About 1/4 cup of each in a pump sprayer with 2 qts water.

I pumped it up, stood back and soaked the whole area including the entrance hole as well as I could. Now 24 hours later: No activity!

Here are come pictures of the Stuff that did not work, the Stuff that did and the location of the nest with the 3 entrances I saw.
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by pende_tim:

Well I think I won! After trying 2 sprays that did not work, I mixed my own and got the buggers.

Granted I had a tough time getting a clean shot at the entrances as leaves and a window well were blocking a direct shot.

The Total Kill Wasp and Hornet ( Foamy Spray ) did little, and the Raid Wasp and Hornet was not too effective. I sprayed this on the nest and left it alone for a week. They were still flying.

if you did that in daylight, that's why. most of the wasps are not in the nest, but flying around the yard.. it has to be done at night, and there's no way wasps will survive either of those sprays for more than a couple of minutes..

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Did it at night and during the day- twice.
I believe the problem was that I could not get the stuff into the holes properly. I don't know...

The Commercial spray seemed to be more oil based and coated the area better and seemed to leave an oily film behind ( as shown on the siding ).

The 2 quarts of "The Mixture" was very concentrated and much larger volume than a aerosol can. Just a tiny amount of overspray in the holes would be toxic.
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by pende_tim:

Did it at night and during the day- twice.
I believe the problem was that I could not get the stuff into the holes properly. I don't know...

The Commercial spray seemed to be more oil based and coated the area better and seemed to leave an oily film behind ( as shown on the siding ).

The 2 quarts of "The Mixture" was very concentrated and much larger volume than a aerosol can. Just a tiny amount of overspray in the holes would be toxic.

it's said the nest can have 5,000 wasps in there, so, it would have to be something that could flood a large area.. I wonder what caused the yellow jacket explosion this year? the damn things are all over..

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Yes on the 5000 in a nest. I am keeping a close eye on this one as it was either 3 nests or had 3 entrances.

I hope there are none that will be hatching in the next few days to regenerate the swarm.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
you should't do that it can react & kill you! If you mix beach & pool stuff it will release chlorine gas!

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

Back on track here...

So, what's the "BEST" way to tell if you killed off the nest? Before I go digging it up and getting the hell stung out of me ...

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to chip89

Premium Member

to chip89
said by chip89:

If you mix beach & pool stuff it will release chlorine gas

Maybe I could use that next time - NOT !
pende_tim

pende_tim to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

Before I go digging it up

Why do you want to dig it up? Let nature return it to the soil.

Best test would be to wait a week and see if there is any activity.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to chip89

Premium Member

to chip89
Bleach and ammonia create toxic fumes.
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by joewho:

which will kill the yellow jackets not touched by liquid. to be safe, you have to pour one chemical down the hole, then hold your breath, and pour the other one down, then walk away a good distance.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1 to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

I don't want other bees making a home of it....

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Just remember that most wasp nests (except the paper hanging variety) will have an entrance and and exit. Make sure you stalk your hive before you brazenly start spraying the entrance, or you run the risk of being swarmed.
iknow_t

iknow_t to clevere1

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

said by pende_tim:

I don't want other bees making a home of it....

actually, bees will not use a yellow jacket(wasp) nest as a home, further, both bees and wasps will not use another's nest as their own..
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned) to pende_tim

to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

said by clevere1:

Before I go digging it up

Other wasps will reuse the nest. I've done that before. Killed all the wasps in a nest only to find another colony moved in the next year. Dig it up and demo that bad boy!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to iknow_t

Premium Member

to iknow_t
said by iknow_t:

said by joewho:

which will kill the yellow jackets not touched by liquid. to be safe, you have to pour one chemical down the hole, then hold your breath, and pour the other one down, then walk away a good distance.

This is such bad and potentially fatal advice........
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by ptrowski:

said by iknow_t:

said by joewho:

WHAT? if you don't hold your breath, and walk away, you could inhale it!!. I've done this many times without a problem. neither bleach(chlorine) nor ammonia(gas) are THAT toxic that a little whiff would kill you. you avoid that, anyway.. what you don't want to do is use it in a house, where you really can't get away from it.. look in a store that sells bleach and ammonia, while it's not a good idea, both are stocked in the same area, sometimes on the same, or above or below shelves.. either one, when mixed with either a strong acid or oxidizer, produces toxic gas, and stores are storing these together INSIDE a store, where spillage, or a fire could mix the two together.. THAT is dangerous.. mostly a suffocation hazard caused by a depletion of oxygen.. you don't get that with doing it properly outside..
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

said by iknow_t:

said by joewho:

Baking soda and vinegar or mentos and diet coke wasp volcano?