dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

What plan do I want?

I do some gaming and like to have good speed online with no delay. The tech on the phone said I wouldn't need Ultimate, that premier is enough. What is everyone's opinion? I was going to get TV and landline phone service also. 5B6121 Motorola Surfboard modem is mine.

I have netgear but prefer to hook my PC up directly and use the netgear for my laptop or visitors.

PS.. visitors over the weekend so will come here sparingly until Monday but will for sure appreciate all advise!

Needleinthha

join:2009-11-30

1 recommendation

If all you're doing is some gaming and general web browsing, premier should be plenty fast, in fact you'd probably be fine with starting with preferred and then upgrading to premier if you think its not fast enough. especially since speeds are in the process of being doubled....Not sure what market you're in but heres a list of dates for those 2 tiers being doubled downstream:
»Re: [AZ] Speed Increase July Rollout Date for Preferred/Premier

AnonPhx

@68.231.70.x

1 recommendation

Start with preferred, Premier is overkill.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
reply to dandelion
I am moving to Baton Rouge. I would prefer a little overkill versus not enough though. Thanks for that information!

otacon

join:2002-06-12
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to dandelion
With the new speeds anything over Preferred is overkill now for the home user IMO. The new preferred is 50/5 but I'm getting 62/10 all the time. You can download almost a half GB in one minute. "Speed" is only one part of the equation on how fast your internet experience is. The only thing I notice going from 25-50 is files download faster obviously...that's it.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

said by otacon:

With the new speeds anything over Preferred is overkill now for the home user IMO

To a certain extent, I agree with you, if all we were talking was speed. But the increased data cap (for those large steam game files) and extra DHCP IP (for direct decreased latency connections) I think if money isn't as much a issue, then go for Ultimate over Premier. Otherwise go with Preferred and wait for the 50Mb boost thats about to come out. But If you go with Ultimate your going to have to upgrade your modem to either the SB6141 or SB6183 (if you can find one). 16x4 gives you some growing room for whats to come.

»www.cox.com/residential/support/···00000000

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
My 6121 is already old then for the Ultimate? I do prefer no latency issues and if I can get less with Ultimate it sounds the best. Why is the 6183 unavailable... too new?

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79

1 recommendation

The 6183 is very new indeed. They just got recently approved for that matter. The 6120/6121 are somewhat obsolete already due to being limited to 4x downstream channels. They make fine modems for Preferred and even Premier but Ultimate will push them to their limits which is not ideal.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN

2 edits

1 recommendation

Thanks for your information, I guess the 6141 is the only option unless I am willing to buy used which I prefer not.
Thanks for everyone's help. I think I have decided to upgrade to the 6141 for now and get Ultimate.

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by dandelion:

I think I have decided to upgrade to the 6141 for now and get Ultimate.

If you decide to make use of the multiple DHCP IP's, could you update how that goes? Im considering a upgrade myself for the extra IP's and I looking for any pitfalls to avoid. Like is it automatic or do they have to do something special besides you using a switch before router.

By the way, the SB6180 is still a option and sold by Cox. Its pretty much just like the S6141 but black and somewhat different diagnostics and the tuner works a bit different I like is because you can see the configuration file of the modem and I feel is better QC because is made by Motorola and not Arris like the new SB6141 are. Just don't get a black SB6141. I heard of people having issues with those.

Last, make sure you get a 10/100/1000 switch if you want the full speed of ultimate. Also make sure you using all CAT5e and above wiring. I suggest

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33122128

»www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1···format=2

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
This is a 2009 home, I guess it may not have the cat5 wiring? I imagine I could ask Cox though. Plan on moving after the first week in September so will let you know. The one I order i.e. 6141 was a white one shown on the picture anyway.

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

If you have ethernet wiring its atleast CAT5. It goes CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6 and above. But I was just talking about from CM > Switch > Router > etc. If you even one CAT5 wire in the wrong place it can bottleneck you whole network to 100Mbps and less. Since Ultimate is 150Mbps+ in some place (and soon to be most?) this could be a issue. You definitely want a wired connection to anything that games, but most everything else can be wireless if you get the right router and/or Access Points (APs).

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
Good to know thanks! I plan on having a wired connection to my PC (gaming computer).. laptop to use wirelessly. Sorry.. I don't understand about this wire though. Will Cox when they set me up make sure I have the correct hook-up?
My Netgear is N600 dual band and am assuming that is plenty for the wireless?

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

said by dandelion:

Sorry.. I don't understand about this wire though

No. Generally thats something you would have to do DIY or hire a electrician. Or just have the modem,switch,router,PC in same room. Depending on how your house is set up they can run a new cable outlet, they just usually won't touch ethernet/CAT5e. In your state it may be different though. When you call up it can't hurt to ask, just make sure they understand your asking for a "ethernet" outlet. Worst they can say is no.

As for router, is it this one? If so, it will probably do(has 1000Mbps ports), but wireless speed is as much about unknown factors like interference and congestion, then it is about hardware. Try it and see what speeds you get wireless vs wired, and if you want better, upgrade it later.

»www.staples.com/NETGEAR-N600-Dua···D=886778

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
Yes that is the one.. and I do plan on having modem, PC, router in the same room... The information I am reading says you don't need a switch if your router is 10/100/1000 which this one is. I don't have a switch at the moment anyway.

Thanks for the advice.. I'll ask them first and just see what my speeds are. I have a feeling I am going to need an additional cord where I want to place my PC anyway.
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

You can use it without a switch you just won't be able to get anymore then one IP via that switch. Thats the whole point of Ultimate reducing your latency, the direct non NAT connection to the internet. You may get the speeds, but the latency will be the same as the lower plans.Just FYI

AmericanLoco

join:2014-02-08
United State
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to dandelion
Online gaming needing fast internet is a complete myth. You could have Cox Essential and game with no problems at all. Most online games transfer less than 50 KB/s worth of data (0.4 mbit/s!)

The ONLY thing the higher tiers of Cox will get you is faster downloads. They will not improve your latency or "lag".

AnonPhx

@68.231.70.x

1 recommendation

reply to dandelion
/facepalm

If you are just going to be on a setup with one gaming computer and a laptop, Ultimate is a complete waste of money. Preferred is a little bit of an overkill for one gaming rig, however essential is too low.

Ignore all the data cap nonsense, it is a non issue as Cox doesn't charge you for going over your cap, you'll at worse get an e-mail once a month but given that I currently have two kindles, two laptops, and one gaming computer and see this for data usage(attached picture), who gives a hoot about an increased data cap on Ultimate.

If you game you don't care about bandwidth, what you really want are low ping times which has really nothing to do with the amount of bandwidth, any more or less everything to do with peering and routing which you have no control over anyways.

The only thing you're going to get out of signing up for Ultimate is a higher bill.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to CoxTech1
not to derail, but i am in the market for a d3 modem. since preferred is now faster than d2, i will need an upgrade.
what is the eta on the 6183 being available? will they be carried in cox stores? i'll settle for a 6182 -- but would like to not have to upgrade for a while.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
You're not derailing...I am curious also.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to tubbynet
Cox seems to have dumped Motorola from the Cox supplied gateway and modem listing. Only gateways listed from Cisco, Netgear, and Ubee on the supplied list. The 6183 may be available in retail stores this winter holiday gift exchanging season or it could take 6 years to to appear in stores.

I would advise getting a 6141 white case new in box. Cox most likely will be trailing other cable companies when it comes to increasing the number of possible channels to be bonded. So Cox subscribers are going to be stuck with 8 down and 4 up for several years. By that time Motorola may have a 24 down and 8 up modem. They might even have a 32 up and 8 down modem, if the Puma chip is developed further to handle such a workload.

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
»www.cox.com/residential/support/···00000000

not sure where you get that info.
all moto modems are listed in the list. they are not 'preferred' -- but only 'gateways' make that list.

as stated above -- i'd rather get the 6182 (and speaking with odog See Profile, this is the preferred modem over the 6141), even though both are 8x4. however, if the cost is right (and i can find one) -- i'd rather obtain the 16x4 variants, despite lacking on the upload side.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
Sorry, I did not make my statement clearer.

I was referring to the gateways or modems that would be available at a Cox store. They use to have Motorola on the list and Motorola devices were in the stores a couple of years ago, but now:

Cox Preferred Devices

Cox offers WiFi modem devices, combining a modem and wireless router in one convenient device, for rent or purchase. These devices are recommended for all packages of Cox High Speed Internet service.

I only see Cisco, Netgear, and Ubee on the list of devices that can be purchased from Cox. No Motorola devices.

The rest of the listing are gateways and modems, including Motorola brand, you can buy retail that Cox states are compatible.

This listing leads me to think that Cox and Arris/ Motorola have had a falling out. The result is that Cox will not be directly selling Motorola cable gateways or modems, but will allow them to be connected to the Cox network if the subscriber properly requests it.

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
now that makes more sense. my apologies for the misunderstanding.

the cox/moto falling may be true. i have not purchased a cm from cox since i bought the dpc3010 or whatever the d2 modem was.

the issue is thay the newer moto modems arent available for purchase on the open market. hopefully i can scare one up somewhere. my wife has given me free reign of the credit card on this one -- i just happen to be cheap.

q.
--

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to AmericanLoco
said by AmericanLoco:

The ONLY thing the higher tiers of Cox will get you is faster downloads. They will not improve your latency or "lag".

I disagree. With Ultimate you can get multiple DHCP IP, and is the only way to do so short of a CB account since MCA is gone now. Multiple IP means you can use a switch which basically means direct connection to modem with no routing= level 1 NAT. Not only is this less latency overall, but latency won't be effected as much by traffic of users on the router. I agree though gaming doesn't require fast speeds, but downloading huge game files sure does.

AmericanLoco

United State
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
Meh, maybe in theory. In my experience, the NAT latency is negligible. I've done tests with and without the router connected, and there is very little difference in ping times. Maybe 2-3ms at the most if the router has heavy traffic. Generally the difference is less than 1ms.

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
UPnP takes up a decent amount of resources, specailly if its tracking 2 seperate game consoles gaming at the same time. Doesn't take up bandwidth, but having all those open connections and Idle can cause issues with router performance. So Im not just talking ICMP, I mean less overhead with the UDP being used for gaming. But it depends on the router too. Some have enough RAM to handle all the idle sim connections. Not saying its a huge difference, but it also helps with IP blocks, DDOS attacks, not needing port forwarding for game servers. I see it as one of the main selling points of Ultimate. Especially since Ultimate and Premier will be having much similar speeds now.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to AmericanLoco
said by AmericanLoco:

Meh, maybe in theory. In my experience, the NAT latency is negligible. I've done tests with and without the router connected, and there is very little difference in ping times. Maybe 2-3ms at the most if the router has heavy traffic. Generally the difference is less than 1ms.

Agreed. A high performance router usually has sub 1ms processing on NAT.

Arris/Moto are still the same thing. The modems are all made in the same factories in China/Taiwan. The difference between the SB6141 and white SB6141 is the plastic housing no more, no less.

As far as modem recommendations.

Bare minimum is an 8x4. The SB6183 is going to be more expensive, and isn't widely available. It should start showing up in retail soon, but so far hasn't hit in any measurably quantities.

AmericanLoco

United State
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Hard Harry
Oh, I agree that having a switch and 3 DHCP IPs from Cox would be faster, but modern routers are very high performance. My router is a very old Linksys WRT150 "Draft N" router, and it has no problem with multiple PCs gaming over the internet at the same time.

I just don't think you're going to clog up a router unless you've got like 10 people over on the same connection. But it doesn't matter, because at that point you need a router with NAT anyways!

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dandelion
It will just be me on the internet, occasionally my kids would come over but I won't be playing any games then.

Soooo.. premier for now.. possibly try and if problems go to ultimate?

Thanks for all your suggestions!
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!